The Female Marine - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited July 2013
    Nathan did anyway...

Comments are mostly benevolent.

And he still messed it up. :P "In other words, the female marine was a priority, but not enough of one to charge straight onto the frontlines at launch. That kind of thinking is, as ever, saddening, "

Couldn't just be happy about it. :-w

RPS should just stick to games, really.

But we got publicity! Woohoo! :bz

EDIT: I really recommend reading all the comments. RPS commenters exceed all expectations as per usual. It's the real reason I read the site, anyways.
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    To all the disappointment people in this thread: I hope you realize that video games have degenerated into a sexist garbagepot due to the rampant objectification of women.
    Please don't have that discussion here. You can start a new thread in this other section of the forum instead.

Please.

Thanks.
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    RadimaX wrote: »
    i think the figure is looking just like an avarage male marine. if it was not for the slightly breast looking chest armor and pose, i would think that was just another lightweight armor for the regular marine :)

http://i.imgur.com/FIU5xrW.jpg

Ur killing me man ;))
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited July 2013
    i think the figure is looking just like an avarage male marine. if it was not for the slightly breast looking chest armor and pose, i would think that was just another lightweight armor for the regular marine :)

did a mock up just to show how maskulin "she" looked
    i.imgur.com/FIU5xrW.jpg

Welp

EDIT: Also, he looks so sad :(
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    Ur killing me man ;))

Well i am actually drawing a little bit on the female image to enhance the structure and the female figure, but i can feel by reading the comments that anyting BUT the original image would be bashed and concidered anti feministic or sexual towards all females.

• wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
    edited July 2013
    Lame, I was expecting more sexism.
  • NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    I like it since it's done in a tasteful manner. I agree that the similarity to the male uniform lends the female an androgynous quality, though. This is realistic if you look at military gear and movies like Starship Troopers - the gear is pretty much unisex. Judging from the early NS2 concept art, it seems that Cory had a tough time keeping the armor respectable while hinting at the female anatomy. Some concepts have the front of the helmet cut out, revealing hair. Many of them accentuate the curvature of the breasts so that there's less ambiguity.

For those of us who enjoy stereotypical female game characters, I suggest creating an animation for the female marine's taunt. She would remove her helmet, revealing long, silky hair with its own physics. She then whips her hair and bright sparkles appear around her while she exclaims a generic, sexy quote. The helmet would stay off at the end of the taunt, reducing the female marine's armor by 25%. Skillful players who are up for a challenge can handicap themselves while revealing the glorious femininity of their female avatar. It would take a while to don the helmet again, making you vulnerable to attacks.

Just joking of course. :) If a modder could somehow make this happen, though, it would be pretty funny.
    edited July 2013
    I know you already have the concept art and all but here is atleast my take on it:

desk_23454.png

vote AWSOME if you think we should have HER in the game :)

i dont see how making females look LESS female is supporting them better so i added some hair and obviously an overpowered Chestplate ...Flamethrower
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members

did a mock up just to show how maskulin "she" looked
    Cmon, be fair. Make a male model with a female face, too and let's see if your theory is actually right.
  • DarkflameQDarkflameQ Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183451Members
    edited July 2013
    The original model looks male, lol
    You forgot to give her bolder makeup and stiletto heels.
    edited July 2013
    elodea wrote: »
    The proportions are off, she looks chronically near-death anorexic, no hips, and a breastplate that's obnoxiously over done.

Lol you litterally discribed my girlfriend there, like 100% spot on, and if you think breastplate is overdone, she just turned 18 and have like almost twice the size of the breast on the concept.

• JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    That looks terrifying Radimax...

edited July 2013
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    The announcement seems to have reached a few news sites:
    http://www.destructoid.com/natural-selection-2-adding-female-marine-as-free-update-257523.phtml

The response seems to pretty much all be positive and a few people even chomping at the bit that they missed the recent 66% off sale

Steam still might do their summer thing and so likely we'll see one more surge of new players before this quarter is out
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I was actually thinking that the hair you put there looks very good
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    Jekt wrote: »

so by giving the model NO chest what so ever, and no feminine hair, and no feminine proportions no guy could ever objectify her in any way, becouse it will essentially be a fricking MAN. good way to solve the balance then.
    GS6I7M6.gif
    Brienne of Tarth does not approve.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Jekt wrote: »

so by giving the model NO chest what so ever, and no feminine hair, and no feminine proportions no guy could ever objectify her in any way, becouse it will essentially be a fricking MAN. good way to solve the balance then.
    Well the thing is, you didn't give her feminine proportions at all :p. I mean, just do a google on "lara croft" for a baseline idea. Should notice more balanced upper body to lower body proportion.
    5ExxsCH.jpg
  • CyberKunCyberKun Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182733Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2013

Wait... your hyper-sexualized creepy female marine was serious.. and not a joke?

HAHAHAHAHAHAH... HAHAHAhaHAHahaha... oh my that is terrible.
    edited July 2013
    edited July 2013
  • CyberKunCyberKun Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182733Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2013
    CyberKun is adding breast to a female without breasts sexualizing her? is adding hair to the male model they call female model sexual? is adding a flametrower creepy or a joke? just a concept picture, id like to see your version. - im waiting

My version is the one going to be released. Long hair is a hazard to have as an Alien can grab it, get caught doing work, and it takes effort to manage. Breasts offer no advantage in fights so it is covered up and compressed to have less of a risk of getting hit. You need weight so you don't snap like a twig, so you make sure your waist isn't size 0 along with your hips.
    CyberKun wrote: »
    CyberKun is adding breast to a female without breasts sexualizing her? is adding hair to the male model they call female model sexual? is adding a flametrower creepy or a joke? just a concept picture, id like to see your version. - im waiting

My version is the one going to be released. Long hair is a hazard to have as an Alien can grab it, get caught doing work, and it takes effort to manage. Breasts offer no advantage in fights so it is covered up and compressed to have less of a risk of getting hit. You need weight so you don't snap like a twig, so you make sure your waist isn't size 0 along with your hips.

You do know that NS2 isn't real right?
    edited July 2013
    edited July 2013
    I'm glad you have your own thoughts about what a female game avatar should look like.

I'm very glad the NS2 devs don't share your thoughts.