2 mouse senitivities in options

ukeuke Join Date: 2013-07-01 Member: 185840Members
edited July 2013 in Ideas and Suggestions
I would really love to see a checkbox below the mouse sensitivity slider which says "enable different sensitivities for each team" which will deactivate the default slider and enables 2 more:

-one for alien since you need to be turning faster as alien
-one obviously for the marines since you need to be more precise with them

pros:
-you dont have to adjust them yourself every time since its automatically by joining a team
-you wont forget to do so
-thisway rookies arent forced to use 2 sensitivities
-no pain in the ass for owners of a mouse without dpi switch
-i bet im not the only one who wants this
-even i can think of a way to do this but i dont know how to get when youre joining a team and which you chose(and it would take days or weeks for me) (maybe more lua hooks for each situation(like gmod does for example) would make modding a lot easier and more compatible)
-shouldnt be too much work

cons:
-its maybe 1 more hour of work you maybe have to spend on more important stuff

i mean i have a mouse with dpi buttons but for those who dont this would be great also i think having high mouse dpi makes the mouse much more precise with low software setting it will basically take for example those 4000 dpi from the mouse and scale them for your needs

Comments

• FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    If you're new and not used to doing that yet. I highly suggest using one sensitivity for both teams
  • XoPhyteXoPhyte Join Date: 2013-05-31 Member: 185431Members
    edited July 2013
    I would rather they just let us bind mouse sensitivity to different keys tbh (like the Halflife engine allows). i.e. "insert = Mouse sensitivity 2"; "Home = Mouse sensitivity 3" etc.

This would let me change my sensitivity by class, and on the fly.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Use one sensitivity for both sides, if it bothers you; quickly change it in console

However personally I'm telling you that it's not a good thing to do if you want to have proper muscle memory
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    just use two different binds in game.

bind x "Setsensitivity 2"
    bind y "Setsensitivity 3"
  • ukeuke Join Date: 2013-07-01 Member: 185840Members
    the thing is not that im new(playing for like 6 months) i just want to being able to have an option for that ingame i'm playing with my old sidewinder mouse which has dpi buttons thats not my problem^^

i just think it could be great to have those buttons for ppl who need them when they dont have dpi buttons on their mouse the thing is to have the switching automated

muscle memory is for those who actually training it which of cause would be great for everyone but i bet the minority cares about it and those setting improvement wont affect your muscle memory at al because you should be able to switch between 1 and 2 sensitivities(but i will move to that point too since its useful)

I think it would also make the game a bit more polished and unique being able to have adapting controls for each side (since they're also aiming for a polished game: "Polish from beginning" (http://wiki.unknownworlds.com/ns2/Design_Direction) (i dont think they meant that kind of language support))

tl;dr
    i play the game long enough^^; i know there are ways you can work around this(but not accessable for many ppl since new ppl dont know the consolecmds) -i(lazy as fuck) just want to have it automated; i just think it would be nice to have this for those who need it or ppl who are going to need it since its not too much work(saving 2 sens. values and setting them as active when joining a team taking it in the menu files, using default for menu); muscle memory wont be affected for those guys who trining this

so my point is not whethr or not that particulary i need it i thought its great for many ppl since i wont post suggestion when im sure im the only one having an issue/a suggestion
  • ultranewbultranewb Pro Bug Hunter Join Date: 2004-07-21 Member: 30026Members
    Using 2 sensitivities is common - and was very common in NS1 competitive play. Aliens have snap attacks (sans spike) and don't require low sensitivity. A faster moving alien will need to make much faster corrections and movements. Using low for both classes is not good for muscle memory, I'd claim the opposite. Hell, even on aliens, each class has a different aiming speed. Skulk used to be even worse before 250 with it's massive FOV change. Lerk movement is much easier at higher speeds and vertical dodging is much easier with all aliens if you use a quicker vertical sensitivity.

TF2 made class specific configurations. That should be reason enough for it to be a good idea. Valve doesn't make too many dumb decisions. NS2 has enough diverse class types that don't really play well if you use a single speed.