Will builder only accept PSD's ? or will it take PNG, TGA ?

QwiXXeRQwiXXeR Join Date: 2004-11-05 Member: 32640Members
Hey everyone.

Quick question around getting custom textures/models into Spark.
Do the texture files, UV Maps etc all have to be PSD's ? or can you use png etc.

Maybe I am doing something wrong becuase the PSD's seem to build correctly but if I have PNG files in my materialsrc folder, it seems to make a materialsrc folder in my output folder for some reason and it just copies the png files over instead of converting them to dds.

Comments

• HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Tried tga format? I just normally use the Nividia photoshop plugin and just manually save them as .DDS files. It's a lot easier and you have more control over the format.
    What software are you using? A lot of programs let you export in .psd
  • QwiXXeRQwiXXeR Join Date: 2004-11-05 Member: 32640Members
    Well if I render something procedurally in 3ds max it would be nice to be able to just export the textures and UV Maps straight from 3ds and get them working with the builder without Photoshop.
    This ofc may be a silly point, because soon as you get anything half decent you probably want to touch it up with photoshop.

If you export from 3DS straight to .DDS format can you put it straight in the output folder and make it work ?
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    not sure 3dsm supports exporting .dds directly through the baking interface. I've never tried but I have tried it with .psd files.
    Type .psd after the name once you choose the file path for the output file in the render material box. so name it 'diffuse_or_whatever.psd' It should automatically detect that you want to export under this format.
    why not just try a third party direct x 9 material plugin for 3dsm. I use the old 3 point shader lite. It gives a good representation of how stuff will look in game without the hassle of writing .material files and all that jazz