450+hr played - Now rookie again...

mortmannmortmann Join Date: 2013-05-21 Member: 185328Members
First of all i played now for a long, long time. I liked to play both sides... But now I only like to play as a marine.

I have 2 points i hate from the changes.

NOW I´m like only the marine side... Why? Due the changes in the movement. I can make some speed and
then i lost it all maybe it is because im bad at this game... But bevor i was not a bad player. I had most of the time a positiv KD, now i have less then the half of a 1/1 KD. Without shadowstep i feel like a big chunk as fade during combat.

PLEASE change it! I dont want to have press the button and move my mouse at the same time. Im to stupid to make it at the same time. It is like to make circles with the hands in the opposites sides... Beside it is VERY VERY VERY rookie unfriendly. Many pople dont want to learn much for an fps they want fun.

Useless armories... Why should i place one when it can be easile destroyed. Can the commander drop ammo and heal the marines during combat better than armories. Please change it back that they CAN repair armor. I dont want to search for buildings to repair, because other player dont have an welder or because im alone.

Sorry for my bad english... If you dont understand what im saying feel free to ask me ;)

P.S. I want post this earlier but i forget. I dont have any FPS improvements... My FPS are jumping like crazy from 30 to 150 :(

Comments

• MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    Play a little bit combat to get a feel for the movement again

Lerk felt exactly the same. . . haven't tried the other advanced lifeforms since I've come back, but only have played around 5 games

Not sure what to tell you about armories; it's a game changer for sure
    One new strat is that instead of having a forward armory the command could just send a MAC around with the main group and heal with drops

Might even be better at times since it's far more mobile
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    So you only play marines because you dont like how one lifeform moves? 0.o

You dont "have to press a button and move your mouse at the same time" anymore than you did with the previous version.
    The advanced movement is optional. You dont even have to use it. You can simply tap blink and jump when u land again. Its nearly identical ... and yes you will feel less useful without shadowstep during combat.. thats why it is now a Tier 2 upgrade. But you can still mimic shadow step movements slightly with Blink and some upgrades (like andren or celerity)

You can request a welder (X menu), see who has a welder (Gray welder icon next to names), be near any MAC, or even buy a welder for 3 pres and then drop it for your friend to weld you with. I find welding others encourages them to weld me.
  • PaajtorPaajtor Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168634Members

Lerk felt exactly the same
    I have to disagree with that.
    Allthough Lerk movement feels the same, his spike for example, doesn't parasite anymore.
    And the Lerk bite feels awkward...I miss much more bites, that used to be spot-on in earlier builds.

• mortmannmortmann Join Date: 2013-05-21 Member: 185328Members
    Its is not ONLY one lifeform. Also the lifeform you will play for 50% or more of a game. Nobody loves to die frequently in a game. Many of the new player will simple not play it anymore and wont recommand their friends...

Sure IT should encourage but it doesnt do it really... and if you the only one that survive and you HAVE a armory you cant recover your armor. AND you cant get rid from parasit
    that was very useful.

P.S. my friend feel the same way that the movement NOW needs an improvment not bevor...
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Fade, sure it will take some getting used to. But you still play it with the same strategy.

If you've put 450 hours into the game and dont plan on stopping this new movement will come to you eventually. Just stick with it and it will turn out to be more fun
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2013
    mortmann wrote: »
    Its is not ONLY one lifeform. Also the lifeform you will play for 50% or more of a game. Nobody loves to die frequently in a game. Many of the new player will simple not play it anymore and wont recommand their friends...

Sure IT should encourage but it doesnt do it really... and if you the only one that survive and you HAVE a armory you cant recover your armor. AND you cant get rid from parasit
    that was very useful.

P.S. my friend feel the same way that the movement NOW needs an improvment not bevor...
    Parasite and lerk poison should still be removed when using the armory. It if is not, then there's a bug that slipped by.
    Parasite does in fact stay on for a set duration now

I dont understand exactly what it is you dislike about the movement?
    As a rule of thumb, you should try staying off the floor, using walls to move faster, and jumping off of walls makes you go very fast (chain your jumps to go even faster)

Edit: here's a video showing what can be accomplished once you get good at chaining your jumps. The only keys needed to be pressed are Forward and Jump.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    @Ironhorse, the fade is a total n00b trap at the minute. Anyone who hasn't got the advanced movement down is completely unable to do anything as they run out of energy too fast (and can't escape because they don't understand the movement). Training desperately needed for the greens and not-so-greens on this one!!
    @roobubba : eh.. while more visible and predictable, they are waayy faster than 249.. allowing them to get in, swipe, get out, more successfully.

I think the noob trap comes with the price of the lifeform, and not understanding it's role.
    The user expects more out of it, expecting more of a deadly tank, and then dies quickly because they didn't get out of the room.

The speed is a good trade off, imo.. it allows less skilled players to survive more, to try again, and to compensate the less energy available prevents it from being OP in greater skilled hands.
    This conservation of energy also encourages playing the role its meant for : get in, hurt, get out.

So... imo, its actually far less of a noob trap than before. I just think people were more used to the other fade, and are having to adjust currently.
  • EucomolhamasEucomolhamas Join Date: 2013-03-10 Member: 183841Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    mortmann wrote: »

that was very useful.

I just have to say one thing... the movement is a lot better now, if it would've been like this and changed to how it was in vanilla, oh how much rage about "skulk nerfs" would have ensued.

• NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited June 2013
    We really need some sort of tooltip to pop up when people select fade for the first time. Simply mentioning "blink shortly for a speed boost, jump around to maintain your speed" would do wonders.
  • PaajtorPaajtor Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168634Members
    Neoken wrote: »
    We really need some sort of tooltip to pop up when people select fade for the first time. Simply mentioning "blink shortly for a speed boost, jump around to maintain your speed" would do wonders.
    Yes, in fact, blink is for fade, what leap is for skulk, in regards to building up a starting momentum.
  • mortmannmortmann Join Date: 2013-05-21 Member: 185328Members
    I dont like the new movement and if someone like new movemt then its good for them but bad for me. I dont like the pressing and moving the mouse at same time. I cant get it in my head how to do it. I will play for a couple hours and if i die to often... I will stop playing this game.
  • dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    @mortmann, this may be your English (nothing wrong with that, it's just how it is) but are you saying you don't like moving (WASD) and looking (mouse)? Because that issue is also a problem for the marines. And almost every FPS ever made ever.

Again, as Iron said, you don't have to use the new movement. Try moving around as Fade like you used to, just until you get the new movement.

PS: reading your first post, shadow step is still in the game, nag the karm to get it :P
    @mortmann Sorry, but i still don't understand exactly what you mean? (i'm trying)

You don't like "pressing and moving the mouse at the same time" ? You mean you do not like pressing the space bar and moving the mouse? That's how it was in the last patch?
    If you mean the "advanced movement" of using strafe keys, well, that's optional and not needed to use the movement?
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I think he means using the right mouse button instead of shift for the initial speed boost. I didn't like this change, but I stuck with it and learned it just fine. Stick with it, it will get better!
  • RabidWeaselRabidWeasel Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5337Members
    Paajtor wrote: »
    Neoken wrote: »
    Yes, in fact, blink is for fade, what leap is for skulk, in regards to building up a starting momentum.

This is probably one of the reasons I like the new system so much, it's way more consistent since fades and skulks work in fundamentally the same way now. The core movement skills of both lifeforms is the identical, there's just different ways that they gain momentum, and even then leap and blink share a lot of similarities.
  • kk20kk20 Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164592Members
    I bypass fade now. I used to love fade and didn't care about blink unless it was an emergency escape (or ladder, damn I hate ladders as a fade)
  • SolidSpiderSolidSpider Join Date: 2013-04-14 Member: 184805Members
    My only problem with the Fade now is that I can't figure our what to do with Shadow Step. It consumes way to much energy to be as viable in combat (dodging) as it was before, and it's obvioulsy useless for gaining speed. And the whole 360º thing... if you want to SS upwards you have to be looking upwards, so why not use Blink? You can steer yourself better with that. Shadow Step leaves you almost stationary upon completion.

Am I missing something? If anyone has an actual use for Shadow Step PLEASE tell me, because I don't dislike the new Fade at all, it's just this one thing.

Also, I'd like to be able to swap the Blink and SS keys, but that's a minor complaint.
  • RabidWeaselRabidWeasel Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5337Members
    Shadow step only leaves you stationary if you weren't moving to begin with. You're supposed to use it to supplement blink, not as an alternative; if you're already moving fast from blink (with or without hopping) then you'll move at high speed after your shadowstep.
  • WobWob Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47814Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    My only problem with the Fade now is that I can't figure our what to do with Shadow Step. It consumes way to much energy to be as viable in combat (dodging) as it was before, and it's obvioulsy useless for gaining speed. And the whole 360º thing... if you want to SS upwards you have to be looking upwards, so why not use Blink? You can steer yourself better with that. Shadow Step leaves you almost stationary upon completion.

Am I missing something? If anyone has an actual use for Shadow Step PLEASE tell me, because I don't dislike the new Fade at all, it's just this one thing.

Also, I'd like to be able to swap the Blink and SS keys, but that's a minor complaint.

Shadowstep is an INSTANT 6m "teleport".

It's amazing against jetpacks with the 3 dimensional directional support.
    It's also really good for being able to instantly get in, get a swipe off on someone with little HP left and then to blink out.
  • Mattk50Mattk50 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182824Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    IronHorse wrote: »

You dont "have to press a button and move your mouse at the same time" anymore than you did with the previous version.
    The advanced movement is optional. You dont even have to use it. You can simply tap blink and jump when u land again. Its nearly identical ... and yes you will feel less useful without shadowstep during combat.. thats why it is now a Tier 2 upgrade. But you can still mimic shadow step movements slightly with Blink and some upgrades (like andren or celerity)

You can request a welder (X menu), see who has a welder (Gray welder icon next to names), be near any MAC, or even buy a welder for 3 pres and then drop it for your friend to weld you with. I find welding others encourages them to weld me.
    FIrst of all, every alien including the gorge and onos (belly slide and clipping) had its movement changed, the majority very significantly. Second, there is nothing OPTIONAL about the new movement mechanics, i cant beleive you'd post that.

Sorry i'll just keep playing NS2 the game with OPTIONAL aim and OPTIONAL being at your keyboard while playing,
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    Shadow step only leaves you stationary if you weren't moving to begin with. You're supposed to use it to supplement blink, not as an alternative; if you're already moving fast from blink (with or without hopping) then you'll move at high speed after your shadowstep.

But not as high. Shadowstep starts to decelerate fast as it ends and you have to either land (jump) or blink then land to prevent too much speed loss. Is there any other way to transition out of shadowstep?
    edited June 2013
    Mattk50 wrote: »

FIrst of all, every alien including the gorge and onos (belly slide and clipping) had its movement changed, the majority very significantly. Second, there is nothing OPTIONAL about the new movement mechanics, i cant beleive you'd post that.

Sorry i'll just keep playing NS2 the game with OPTIONAL aim and OPTIONAL being at your keyboard while playing,
    Yes i know about the movement changes, TY.. it was hard to understand exactly which the OP was talking about, if not all.

What advanced movement do you believe i am referencing anyways?
    Not the basics required to gain top speed?

You dont have to do the stupid "snaking mouse" movement to get around the map as a fade at equal speeds.. you can just look up, tap blink, spam the spacebar and point the mouse in any direction you want to go. (for skulks you obviously glance off of walls) Anything more advanced than that yields little gains specific to certain scenarios, (like strafing during sharp turns or crouching to go over obstacles) making it optional, and situationally dependent.

So lets recap regarding all new movement mechanics:
    To get around the map the fastest, all you need to know are the basics, and the basics are insanely simple and rudimentary. Requiring nothing more than forward + spamming spacebar, aiming the mouse in the direction you wish to go. Anything more advanced than that is optional because it doesn't yield any better speed increase, and is generally situational, like turning a tight corner while escaping comabt or attempting to prevent getting stuck on an object.

Basic movement needed to reach top speed = required
    Advanced movement = optional and situationally dependent, often not yielding increase in speed.

Hope that clears up my point?...
    Just trying to help the OP with learning the basics...
  • ezayezay Join Date: 2013-03-11 Member: 183899Members
    But you can still mimic shadow step movements slightly with Blink and some upgrades (like andren or celerity)

Good luck with that. Before the fade nerf, you could fake exits, jump high and down, left and right and generally move faster than the human eye can follow. I've been praised by opponents as a very good/annoying to play against fade because of this; how often does that happen in a FPS ? :P

Try to do that with Blink and watch your energy depletes faster than an ice cube in a microwave, leaving you exposed and resourceless in front of the enemy.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2013
    ezay wrote: »
    But you can still mimic shadow step movements slightly with Blink and some upgrades (like andren or celerity)

Good luck with that. Before the fade nerf, you could fake exits, jump high and down, left and right and generally move faster than the human eye can follow. I've been praised by opponents as a very good/annoying to play against fade because of this; how often does that happen in a FPS ? :P

Try to do that with Blink and watch your energy depletes faster than an ice cube in a microwave, leaving you exposed and resourceless in front of the enemy.
    I just wanted to chime in by saying that fade blink is very powerful and actually pretty cheap when it comes to the movement you are talking about. Ironhorse is right. I mean this in the most helpful way possible - if you are running out of energy really quickly then you're doing something wrong.

Infact, celerity fade will permanently blink around as fast as the highest burst speed shadowstep used to give you. The balance problem right now is that b250 fade is actually too fast using too little energy (kinda the same issue as shadowstep fade in that regard).

Calling b250 a fade nerf is not exactly fair. The skill ceiling is increased compared to before. So if you compare the same skill level from 249 to 250 it probably was a 'nerf', but the higher skill ceiling and air control means actual power potential is much greater than before.
    I cant emulate shadowstep with blink. I run out of energy much faster too. Sure if you are skilled enough then you probably can (i guess you are well above the average player too) . I couldn't metabolize, blink swipe in ns1 either.
  • MisterNubsMisterNubs Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147912Members
    So if you compare the same skill level from 249 to 250 it probably was a 'nerf', but the higher skill ceiling and air control means actual power potential is much greater than before.

I'm curious as to how and your reasonings why the 250 fade has a higher skill ceiling and greater power potential than the 249 fade counterpart.
    I think the point is not "isnt better" rather "arghh need to relearn"
  • wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
    There's a lot more room for creativity when using the fade in 250 compared to when using it in build 249.