Domination issue in NS2

2»

Comments

• RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Horrible noob comm traps:
    Turrets and Cyst carpets.

When i dont comm i get the above and i have decided to put down NS for a bit and let the greenies fight it out. It doesnt help either older vets coming back not knowing wtf is going on either due to the BIG patch. I think UWE dropped the ball here. Imo they should have went with NS2 2.0, let the patch settle for 2 weeks, and then go for the discount weekend. Too many older players complaining about the new stuff gets the greenies all riled up.
  • MavickMavick Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 168138Members
    Ironsoul wrote: »
    To those claiming that we should ignore these problems because they're caused by greens... I don't agree to that.

This is a problem with NS2 itself, new players should still be able to be inherently useful. The game mechanics need to give them something to do that's effective, intuitive and also fun.

You're going to hate me for this but, one reason call of duty 4 and up are so successful at getting new players and retaining them (so they can then get better) is the grenade launcher, A.K.A. the noob tube.

This video explains things better than I can.

You are right, people here are going to hate you for that. This community, in general, does NOT want this game to become COD with aliens vs marines. I know I personally would rather see a smaller community then see the developers bow down and introduce something as stupid as the noob toob from COD.
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    edited June 2013
    I am in no way suggesting to make Natural Selection 2 easy. I want Natural Selection 2 to be Accessible, at the moment it just isn't.

I think you should start another thread (in general discussion, no one reads ideas and suggestions(which annoys me a lot)) about the ranking system. Which I agree, NEEDS TO BE IN NS2, and it's amazing it's not in yet. Game needs in built pick up games (pug) tools and in fact probably should simply abandon drop in drop out style rounds right now, they can still be an option(I don't see why not), but the main way of playing the game should be using a ranked PUG system. But, that's for another thread. This thread was mainly just a complaint thread to draw attention to the fact there's a huge problem right now with the rounds going for too long while not being interesting. It's way too rare to consistently have interesting experiences in NS2.

Also, @Mavick wow, you really misunderstand things don't you.
  • MavickMavick Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 168138Members
    No, I don't think I misunderstood a thing. In fact, I've read the suggestions about putting in a ranking system. I know there's an ns2stats ELO system that's already been tried. Unfortunately, the facts are that ns2stats aren't even working for this build (goodbye ELO) and the population (at the time it was being discussed) wasn't even big enough to support that reasoning. Plus, there's the hard fact that shooters, to date, haven't even been designed with that in mind.

On top of all this you linked a video citing the noob toob and COD as viable reasons for supporting a balance for skill. Noob tube is probably the single most despised aspect to me from my time playing COD. I'm pretty sure I won't be the only person who feels that way about it.

So, what exactly have I misunderstood?
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    edited June 2013
    You've misunderstood that because I linked a video that uses the noob tube as an example for accessible powerful game mechanic, that I want NS2 to have a noob tube. It's as if you never even watched the other parts of the video. It's as if you didn't even watch the part with the noob tube.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    NS2 will be a lot more accessible with some good tutorials.
    Its a odd game where skill level will always vary. Yes we can give newbies more to cling on to but eventually they must pick up new skills or be stomped.

Biggest problem on alien side is newbies not realising that the skulk is a ambush unit which should stay of the bloody floor.
    As a marine they do not learn fast enought to check there surroundings. Any newbie who grasps these 2 concepts will already do much much better.
  • EmooEmoo Ibasa Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11198Members
    Biggest problem on alien side is newbies not realising that the skulk is a ambush unit which should stay of the bloody floor.

Oh lordy isn't it fun shouting at your team to get off the bloody floor.