v250 Alien health visuals are now even worse

ultranewbultranewb Pro Bug Hunter Join Date: 2004-07-21 Member: 30026Members
This is the biggest problem with lifeforms in 250 - health is a sliding scale now. Using a 100% meter to show the health isn't very meaningful anymore. There needs to be some visual cue to show health has been upgraded. Showing a number in the players blindspot that requires reading isn't intuitive or practical in a "fast paced shooter".

The easiest way [to fix this] would be to just change the meaning of 100% on the meter to show full biomass. The obvious drawback for this implementation is that players are used to a full circle meaning full health. A second meter above health that that would fill up with biomass upgrades would do the same job without confusion. Showing this meter drain as health is lost, like an overflow tank, would also attach an intuitive meaning to the gauge.

Also, giving me an option to move the HUD element out of my blindspot and then it would be perfect.

Comments

• ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't think it's that important for the alien players to be aware of their biomass health. Certainly not so important that it would be preferable to have a health bar that never fills up, or add more complexity to the UI.
  • joohoo_n3djoohoo_n3d Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164703Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Good idea. Have a part of the health wheel grayed that represents what can be gained from biomass. I imagine it looking something like this.

Where what can be gained from biomass is sticking out or in from the actual health wheel and fills in when biomass levels are increased. 3 seperate indicators for health, armor and potential health increase with biomass is probably too much information for something that should just be a simple bar of number in the first place though.
  • NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    I don't have a problem with the health orb since the numbers are updated to reflect total health. I think a biomass health meter on top of that would be confusing to newer players. I absolutely agree with this suggestion, though:
    ultranewb wrote: »
    Also, giving me an option to move the HUD element out of my blindspot and then it would be perfect.
    Back in beta, I edited the code in order to move the health and energy orbs closer to the center of my screen. It was bliss. It's absolutely vital for higher lifeforms since shotgun hits can be unpredictable. Things that are closer to the center of the screen are easiest to see and I hope UWE will consider creating HUD options like this. I don't think mods would work since screen resolutions differ and because everyone has a preference concerning HUD element placement.