Onos Bar 32 Man server

2»

Comments

• RevyRevy Join Date: 2008-03-22 Member: 63928Members
    I did not try and convince anyone lol, they all left on there own terms I was one of the last to leave
    also I closed the server because it screwed our mod up so much that it was unrepairable considering I have been doing that on my own
    and I switched to planet side 2 because of the majority of our group play on there so we set up an outfit, its funny how its the same group of people that have not played on the server that are bashing it with no real backing
  • SUPER_SARSSUPER_SARS Join Date: 2013-02-13 Member: 183039Members
    No need for this thread at all.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Dopple wrote: »
    Onos Bar was one of a kind and a hell of a contrast to the 6v6 competitive snorefests. On Onos Bar, it was 16v16 constant action. Pushes on two fronts. Rushes everywhere. It also had adjusted settings. Welders cost 3 res, Mines 10 res (4 to a pack), Onos was actually fearsome and not a paper mache doll, and more. It was also CONSTANTLY full, I had to wait 30 minutes to get a slot only to be denied because my ping is a bit too slow. It was what NS2 should have been - a 32 player spamfest designed for pub play.

So long, Onos Bar. You will be missed.

Wow, so marines could put down 64 mines within the first minute? Sounds fun! I'm impressed that 15 field marines were able to push on a whole two fronts at the same time, as well. You never ever see that with 6v6 competitive snorefests.

WTF?

• KattcattisKattcattis Join Date: 2013-01-31 Member: 182683Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    maD_maX_ wrote: »
    Didn't care for the server... But at this point based on the comments here I care even less for the community... Perhaps the game isn't dieing because if mechanics but because a bunch of elitist d-bags who can't accept alternet views... GG

You spoke the words out of my mouth.
    I think people are being horrible on the forums. One shows a bit of negativity towards the game and that person is at once burned down by thousands of ns2 "fan boys"
    Good luck in future Revy!
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    "One shows a bit of negativity towards the game"
    You talk about the OP here, right?
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    edited June 2013
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited June 2013
    He's getting smack talked because of how he worded his OP

Also claiming he had the "most popular server" is a lie, must have got something in my glasses if I didn't see it on the server browser.. weird though.. balance test was always full

Disbanding your server after a patch has been out for a few hours is a good one, if you gave it two weeks and gave some real input then I'd consider it.. hf on planetside, I heard the performance there is spectacular :-q
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Didn't care for the server... But at this point based on the comments here I care even less for the community... Perhaps the game isn't dieing because if mechanics but because a bunch of elitist d-bags who can't accept alternet views... GG

No one went to his server to yell at him and tell him he was doing it wrong. He came to these forums so he could ragequit ns2 and act as though he was more important than everybody else because he ran a server.

The forums responded as they always do when somebody rage quits the game... we tell them to fuck off and send them on their way.

• SUPER_SARSSUPER_SARS Join Date: 2013-02-13 Member: 183039Members
    ezekel wrote: »
    He's getting smack talked because of how he worded his OP

must have got something in my glasses if I didn't see it on the server browser.. weird though..

Let me help you out, try setting your performance to 0 when filtering servers. :P
  • unter_hosenunter_hosen Join Date: 2003-01-05 Member: 11858Members, Constellation
    All I'm going to say is.... it costs money to run servers. So if anything, its a shame another server (good or bad) is now offline.

Have fun on Planetside. I think this thread should be closed to stop anymore troll posting.

Unter
  • MavickMavick Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 168138Members

Probably the single best post I've seen on here in months. Seriously, grow the fuck up people.
  • Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
    edited June 2013
    Xao wrote: »
    d0ped0g wrote: »
    I don't see any other modders leaving in a huff just because the new patch broke their mod?

Gorge racing
    marine vs marine
    Faded
    Combat is borderline
    (ns2c? I haven't seen an active server for classic mod)

Specifically read up on the Marine vs Marine thread and the combat guys chiming in, the way they did their mod config ensured it wasn't destroyed by 100 patches since release or at least the Gorgeous one, every other mod maker has had their mods collapse on them most patch releases, specifically the Gorgeous update seems to have killed off every community venture bar combat.

To me it seems mods are very important to the longevity of ns2, you'd think uwe know this and would have done something months ago about the mod situation when they had their mod week, the way each update no matter how small affects and sometimes completely breaks mods is a bit pathetic and will eventually lead to no more mod support, it's already happened with a few like mvm, that was one of a few that could have been very good alongside combat and classic, now i don't expect we'll even see it again, although i do think the creator is partly to blame for not doing more to get it fixed.

I still hope to see xenoswarm and combat mvm (i really want this, was great fun in ns1!), the engine has the potential for many great mods but the way things seem to be going doesn't look good.

Oh and its a shame to see the main 32 server go, if anything i want to see more 32 player servers, sometimes i want fast action and lots going on, to me 6vs6 and sometimes even 8vs8 seem a bit boring in comparison, uwe should have balanced for 24 and pub play, that is where most of the players are/were, the competition stuff is never going to amount to much, focus on the majority's fun please!
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter

Internet egos tend to take over, I think there's ultimately too many cooks in the kitchen. Everybody believes their own way is the best way, and that you're an idiot for thinkin otherwise. You cant please everyone, but UWE has tried. I have heard at one point or another that EVERYTHING in the game is OP! How's that work? One team has to lose in every game. Just suck it up if your team loses and move on, cant seriously continue to blame each and every new patch.

Also I don't understand why the ns2 community is sooooo dang whiny. Be thankful you have anything to play, or rant elsewhere. Nobody really cares that your serv is gone. Would be nice to see you come back some day, not tryin to be a dick, but enjoy whatever else you do.

One more thing though, it's not UWE's fault YOU closed your serv. Did they personally come n end it for you?

Just more q_q'ing...
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    I don't see any other modders leaving in a huff just because the new patch broke their mod?

Gorge racing
    marine vs marine
    Faded
    Combat is borderline

Specifically read up on the Marine vs Marine thread and the combat guys chiming in, the way they did their mod config ensured it wasn't destroyed by 100 patches since release or at least the Gorgeous one, every other mod maker has had their mods collapse on them most patch releases, specifically the Gorgeous update seems to have killed off every community venture bar combat.

Gorge Racing is a side project made by one of the devs, I think. I doubt that he's going to leave because the patch broke his mod. ;)

And it's not like the changes of this patch haven't been known for ages already. The changes were available in Sewlek's mod for everyone to try.
    The massive overhaul was needed. There are times when you just have to start something over from scratch and sacrifice backwards compatibility. It won't happen again on that scale, that's for sure. Where are those reports of those modders where they claim to leave the game right away instead of fixing their mods up? As modder I'd embrace the changes to the base game because it gives me more interesting options for my mod as well.
  • CD121CD121 Join Date: 2013-04-04 Member: 184635Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    What is this thread discussing? It just looks like a sob story from some admins looking for sympathy who owned a server with a hilariously high player-cap. The game was never meant to have more than 24 persons in any particular match so please be a little realistic and come to terms with the fact that it didn't work out. Now can we please close this "discussion" and get to real topics?

P.S. The reason behind the uptime of your server is due to the fact its a lot harder to kill a game with 16 players per team than let's say, half that amount.
  • SpaSpa Join Date: 2013-05-20 Member: 185301Members
    Bye Revy :( sad Onos Bar is gone though.
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    edited June 2013
    Happy Face:

@Revy, thanks for putting up the 32-man server. While obviously it wasn't to everyone's tastes, for those who enjoy large games it was a valuable asset to the NS2 community. Anyone who runs a server at all is to be commended, but Onos Bar was more than just any server; it satisfied a niche demand that no other server was fulfilling. In addition, in all my experiences playing on the server, the community that played there was fun-loving, mature, and welcoming - exactly the kind of server community that the NS2 community at large should be encouraging and producing more of.

Frowny Face:

First, I'm sorry to see you close the server.

Second, I'm sorry to hear that you're closing the server because of the new patch. You have to know that a game like NS2 is going to be getting constant changes; the devs have made that very clear from the get-go. If you're committed to having your own mods on top of the base game, then you must understand that you've likewise committed to keeping up with a moving target.

And finally, I'm very sorry to see you making such a rude and condescending post to announce your departure from the game. I hate to see you go, but if you must go, it would have been far better to leave in silence, or at least with a kind and respectful word. Stomping your feet on the way out the door nullifies a great deal of the goodwill which you otherwise had earned by virtue of running your server.

Happy Face:

I hope you'll change your mind. And even if you don't, I wish you the best of times in whatever game you and your friends turn to.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members

Gorge racing
    marine vs marine
    Faded
    Combat is borderline

Literally none of these people "left in a huff". Maybe The Faded guy did? I wouldn't know cause I couldn't find his thread through google search or UWE search.

It's true that all of them seem to have had patches that broke their game, but I didn't say "I don't see new patches break other peoples mods."
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2013
    @revvy : Thanks for the server and your time, but i'm closing this thead, as it's going no where - all its doing is illiciting emotional responses, i.e. flame bait.

This discussion has been closed.