UWEs next game, what would you like to see?

RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
I was meaning to post a thread on this a few days ago, but I have been thinking a little about it a little before posting.

From a business stand point, the chances are that they are going to be using the Spark engine. I think it is at great point now, and any future versions are going to be a lot better. Hopefully this will mean more time spent on new graphical wizardry and features, rather than bug squishing. The initial release was - as I am sure UWE have mentioned many times - an internal build that we had the pleasure to witness. Obviously the years it has taken such a small team to accomplish huge things has caused frustration for the community, but I think the potential now is not just taller but also broader.

Personally I do still love the whole FPS/RTS concept, and I think it can be taken a lot further. Potentially more interaction with the environment, more interesting/innovative interaction between players/commander.

I'd really like to see the learning curve ironed out. I know people talk about tutorials, but in an ever evolving FPS/RTS game - that is arguably the most complex on the market - this is near impossible to make videos for.

Perhaps any sort of resource based income should be simplified, so perhaps gaining (for example) 1xRT unlocks tier 1 upgrades, 2xRTs unlocks tier 2 upgrades. Etc. You could still associate income with player purchasable goods unlocked by the tiers. Even relate it to kills gained as well?

As someone else has mentioned, they might be making Zen of Soduku 2 for all we know. What would you lot like to see?

Comments

• aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Homeworld 3! Just buy the rights from Gearbox :D
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    I don't care about genres or such that much. What I'd like to see is things that play out and interact together rather than a set of features that don't necessary combine into anything more interesting. More love for the feel of things and attention to small details rather than trying to fit in too many big things that sound awesome on paper.

That's basically what I'm hoping out of any indie company these days. I'm not sure if UWE is the one to provide all that, but I guess making a wish doesn't hurt anyone.
  • BurdockBurdock Join Date: 2012-08-27 Member: 156553Members
    Ns3 would be great if the mentality was "pull out all the stops bitches".... But money is always an issue
    Homeworld 3 would be awesome also!
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited June 2013
    I like your ideas with your non-resource-system. But tbh, I'd like to see them move away even further more from the RTS/FPS hybrid. They have been making NS1+2 for over 10 years now, so I'd imagine they'd welcome a different approach as well.

Warning: dune-nut sign spotted!

Now on to my personal wish (you asked for it!):
    I'm quite fond of the first two Dune novels and the 1984 film by David Lynch (as some might have guessed). So, for a long time I have been yearning for a game, that makes use of all the awesome gamey things that universe incorporates. Sure, there have been plenty of great RTS games (dune 2 being my first encounter with video games) and even an attempt at an action adventure, but none of them deliver on what I liked about the novels so much.
    There is the religous dystopy and political babble, but those aren't so fit for a (MP FPS) game.
    But there is The Voice for example. It is a great explanation for embedding supernatural powers, such as boost of perceiption, damage resistance or control of enemies. Then there is the absolute unique approach to combat; "the slow knife penetrates the shield" (shields only let objects with low velocity pass, bullets just bounce off). This could make for some really interesting melee combat. Add some energy management to make projectile weapons more viable and you've got combat like in no other game.
    Then there's the spice, the water of life, thumbers, sandworms, polar ice-caps, smugglers, the guild, the tleilaxu, the bene geserit, the fremen... so much great stuff for an assymetrical FPS!

The reason why I write this on the UWE forums is because they and CDProjektRed are about the only devs I'd trust to get it right.

In more general terms: I'd like them to stick with the assymetrical and teamwork-heavy MP FPS genre, but to make the environments more open and move away from the gritty industrial setting.

TL;DR
    Dune is awesome. UWE are awesome. Combine. Profit.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I've always thought an Oregon Trail/FPS-shooter type game would be a cool fusion. It would follow a semi-TBS Oregon Trail/Survival format until you encountered events (e.g. hunting, defending against attacks, etc) in which you complete in an FPS format.
  • ParagonParagon Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167573Members
    I would love to see an asymmetric FPS based on Dune lore, but don't you think that obtaining the legal rights to do so would be way too expensive for a small indie studio? I'm not sure who currently holds the rights to the Dune universe (perhaps Frank Herbert's son?) but I bet it would require a lot of effort and money to be able to even start working on a Dune game.

That being said, Fremen vs Sardaukar battles done NS-style would be awesome! Harvesting spice for resources, reclaiming water, shields & melee vs ranged, sandworms.. yes, a Dune FPS would be amazing.
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Paragon wrote: »
    I would love to see an asymmetric FPS based on Dune lore, but don't you think that obtaining the legal rights to do so would be way too expensive for a small indie studio? I'm not sure who currently holds the rights to the Dune universe (perhaps Frank Herbert's son?) but I bet it would require a lot of effort and money to be able to even start working on a Dune game.

That being said, Fremen vs Sardaukar battles done NS-style would be awesome! Harvesting spice for resources, reclaiming water, shields & melee vs ranged, sandworms.. yes, a Dune FPS would be amazing.

Alas, it is indeed most unreasonable and futile to wish for it:

"Last time I had correspondence with the Brian Herbert, the general rights issue is thus: You don;t buy individual rights to the game or other items. You buy the rights as a package then can contract other companies to make the games, toy and what not. So when SyFy had the rights to the TV miniseries, they held the rights to make the games, merchandise and everything else they only rights you don't get are literary rights.

This was about 8 years ago i asked about this, it may have changed. So from this it might be that FFG couldn't afford the rights because of the bundle cost, so a bigger company needs to buy them for film/TV/Console game then contract FFG to make the board game.
    "

Source: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/945035/who-owns-the-dune-rights

• xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Well, I'd like to see some other type of hybrid, like, not RTS/FPS but RTS vs FPS.
    Think CP in TF2 or Assault in UT. One team is focused on building defenses, has weaker weapons, not even weapons, but mostly tools, and weaker armor overall, but has lots of structures, the other team has stuff like vehicles and jetpacks and heavy weapons and so they assault defenders.

I unno, I don't expect CoD from UWE.
    WhiteDevil wrote: »
    How about a casual multiplayer FPS with day one DLCs, leveling system, matchmaking, no editors and no patching after launch and a store full of useless skins, hats, guns and whatever. That would kick ass!

+1

Don't forget an engine that is so incredible and next-gen that they'd have to drop - no, prevent! - all mod-support because the community just can't handle it! That would be awesome too!
  • WhiteDevilWhiteDevil Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    How about a casual multiplayer FPS with day one DLCs, leveling system, matchmaking, no editors and no patching after launch and a store full of useless skins, hats, guns and whatever. That would kick ass!

+1

Don't forget an engine that is so incredible and next-gen that they'd have to drop - no, prevent! - all mod-support because the community just can't handle it! That would be awesome too!

Indeed! Also I forgot to add no dedicated servers or a server browser of any kind. That would make it instant GOTY
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Someone once shared with me a very interesting and unique idea:

An MMO set in the world of Orwell's 1984. NPCs are the majority in this game, and players must either stay hidden among the NPCs and learn the system and embrace Big Brother, or else be reported for Thought Crime by other players for acting too weird. Later on you could probably join the Thought Police or the resistance fighters.

Now that's an MMO actually worth playing. Take risks with game development, dammit! No need to rehash ideas that has already been done.

• NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Squishpoke wrote: »

An MMO set in the world of Orwell's 1984. NPCs are the majority in this game, and players must either stay hidden among the NPCs and learn the system and embrace Big Brother, or else be reported for Thought Crime by other players for acting too weird. Later on you could probably join the Thought Police or the resistance fighters.

Now that's an MMO actually worth playing. Take risks with game development, dammit! No need to rehash ideas that has already been done.

Sounds like a large scale version of Spy Party. I would dig that. :)
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    FPS/RTS was revolutionary when NS first conceived it. The only predecessor was Battlezone, and while a fantastic game, was totally dissimilar in execution.

I want to see them do something as revolutionary as that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2003-11-28 Member: 23688

You just summed up everything I hate about the modern games industry.

As for what I'd like to see in the future, is simply a larger scale terrain based NS. Instead of just capturing resource points, teams would fight over small bases/"forts" (which could possibly include a resource point), from which attacks could be launched from. Each team would have some form of squad based based transport, nothing individual to emphasise teamplay (marines would still have jetpacks though) Obviously new alien forms would be needed.

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2013
    And we shall call it, Gang Garrison 2

*already exists though :P
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    moultano wrote: »
    FPS/RTS was revolutionary when NS first conceived it. The only predecessor was Battlezone, and while a fantastic game, was totally dissimilar in execution.

Gloom.

• cyanidecyanide Join Date: 2013-06-15 Member: 185567Members
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    xen32 wrote: »
    Well, I'd like to see some other type of hybrid, like, not RTS/FPS but RTS vs FPS.
    Think CP in TF2 or Assault in UT. One team is focused on building defenses, has weaker weapons, not even weapons, but mostly tools, and weaker armor overall, but has lots of structures, the other team has stuff like vehicles and jetpacks and heavy weapons and so they assault defenders.

I unno, I don't expect CoD from UWE.

RTS vs. RTS vs. FPS

Two players play an RTS game against eachother, using lots of AI units and base building, while the third team is pure FPS and has to raid the RTS players buildings for upgrades to destroy them and defend their bunker.

Team size would be around 2 RTS players, 12 FPS players. Mayhem happens.

Last team standing wins.
  • shriikeshriike Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184461Members
    Natural Selection 2: Episode One.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    Just spitballing here:

A single player campaign Natural Selection game that may provide an outlet/excuse to expand on the current multiplayer NS2 experience as well.

A casual platformer called "George the Gorge" where you play as a gorge. Maybe a smartphone game.

A fighting game (either smash bros style or traditional), where you pit historical figures against each other (e.g. Abraham Lincoln, Genghis Khan, Julius Caesar).

Zen of Sudoku 2
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Neoken wrote: »
    Squishpoke wrote: »

Sounds like a large scale version of Spy Party. I would dig that. :)

Funny enough, that's how the idea came around, RockPaperShotgun had an article on Spy Party recently and someone thought of the possibilities a wider-scale Spy Party game, in which 1984 is a perfect universe for such a thing.
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    edited June 2013
    I want to see NS2 themed a turn based strategi game simelar to XCOM. Whit a compelling storyline for the NS universe. Perhaps whit a mix of rpg elements.
    Or perhaps take it one step further and do it first person.... Or Both :)

Or a casual tower defence, to fund NS3 :)
  • MzMzMzMz Join Date: 2006-10-23 Member: 58087Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter
    Zen of Sudoku 2 : Black Pencil Edition
  • OgraitOgrait Join Date: 2012-10-29 Member: 164306Members
    moultano wrote: »

Gloom.

Oh my, I so miss gloom. That is what they should remake.

• kespeckespec Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172279Members
    a turn based game like xcom
  • dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    No one wants a horror game? As things like Hidden and Faded have shown, NS can be atmospheric when it wants to be...
  • RevyRevy Join Date: 2008-03-22 Member: 63928Members
    I would like to see a new dev team lol....or a team that ACTUALLY listens to there playbase...rather than there " Pro " base