Procedure tick rate options to reduce CPU load

TurbineTurbine Join Date: 2012-09-13 Member: 159160Members
edited June 2013 in Ideas and Suggestions
Currently there's a great selection of video options to help players enjoy the game on their various configurations, largely held back by video performance bottlenecks.

Being able to tweak the tick intervals to reduce vast amounts of unnecessary processing would greatly improve performance for people like me. There's a heap of visual effects which are triggered constantly being updated, many of which could be disabled with no impact to the gameplay, such as healing spores and other such particles.

I cannot play with my friends as they cannot find it playable. I'm barely getting 10-24fps. Apart from those rare moments when it may reach the 40-50's. There are a great number of players just waiting for the situation to improve.

In the past I gained a few fps by removing the texture for infestation, unfortunately now it's doing file checks against the server. (Even a setting for aliens only to turn off) What's worse is the game has the potential to run perfectly fine, the need for microtweaks would be beneficial.

I've been a fanatical player since 2003 of NS, pre-purchased it a day after it was made available, but feel as if a large chunk of players are being left out.

I'll probably get some abuse for posting this, but here goes.

Comments

• VenatosVenatos Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149762Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited June 2013
    did you see a big fps boost with the luaJIT patch? if not its realy your graphics weighting you down, while playing on my storage-pc (gaming-pc was broken) i had similar fps, the thing i noticed was that the HUD and some other elements are uneffected by the low-settings they stay high-res which bring old or onboard gpu´s to their limit.
    sadly i dont know what to do aginst it Turbine, maybe a modder or dev does.

oh i forgot the abuse... ehm... lets see... i dont know, just insert random insults >here< or something.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    @Turbine, could you please post your full specifications, to help me understand how the game is performing on your machine? GPU and CPU model being the most important? When you are running the game, could you type 'r_stats 1' in the console (bring it down with tilde(~)) and look at the second line, 'xms waiting for GPU.'

Is x consistently positive, or consistently 0?
  • TurbineTurbine Join Date: 2012-09-13 Member: 159160Members
    I'll get the r_stats when I next play, it's definitely the CPU holding me back. The last update did help a bit with less players on most maps, but when in battle and lots going on it's exactly the same. Goes from 40-60fps down to 5-20.

My old PC's CPU was a Q6600 @ 2.4ghz from 2008 which ran it comparably the same. Currently I'm using a Core 2 Duo E6550 @ 2.33ghz from 2006, 4gb ram @ 800mhz, AMD 5870 (bottlenecked to hell, but got for free).

Sure it's ancient now, but such options would increase performance considerably.

I've ordered new parts which will arrive in 2 months from America, but it unfortunately doesn't mean I can play it with my friends.

• RedSwordRedSword Join Date: 2006-12-07 Member: 58947Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited June 2013
    Turbine wrote: »
    I'll get the r_stats when I next play, it's definitely the CPU holding me back. The last update did help a bit with less players on most maps, but when in battle and lots going on it's exactly the same. Goes from 40-60fps down to 5-20.

My old PC's CPU was a Q6600 @ 2.4ghz from 2008 which ran it comparably the same. Currently I'm using a Core 2 Duo E6550 @ 2.33ghz from 2006, 4gb ram @ 800mhz, AMD 5870 (bottlenecked to hell, but got for free).

Sure it's ancient now, but such options would increase performance considerably.

I've ordered new parts which will arrive in 2 months from America, but it unfortunately doesn't mean I can play it with my friends.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/4920/

You're running the game under minimum requirements FYI. It is already a "heavy" game for people with recommended config... (thought a lot better since LUAJit)

I'm like 80% positive it is your processor.
    edited June 2013
    I'm 100% it's my processor.

But I'll say it again, it's perfectly in the realm of possibility to get it running well with little effort and would benefit a large audience.

Yesterday I found that my GPU was overheating, so I OC'd it (lol) and set the fan speed right up. Get a much more respectable 25-70fps. But there is definite room for improvement.

NVM just had a game with the balance mod, my fps was 5 and jumpy. Seems that a few others are having this too.
    r_stats showed a clear stable 0ms delay for GPU.