Ability to broadcast voice chat only to players nearby

SjNSjN Join Date: 2003-01-07 Member: 11983Members, Reinforced - Supporter
I think there should be two buttons.. one for broadcast to all and one for broadcast to players nearby.

There were many occasions when I just want to say something to the player who is standing next to me, like for example when I ask someone to give me a boost to a vent, or let them know that there's an enemy behind them, etc... and there are many players out there who use voice chat for that exact purpose. And this honestly creates too much unnecessary mic spam. That's why I think having 2 different voice chat modes would work very well!

Comments

• BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members
    edited June 2013
    There are too many buttons for me to have to worry about but if it's functionality you want then I'd have no problem with it.

How about this? When someone in the same room as you (or within a certain distance) uses their mic, the icon comes up some other colour thus when they say "behind you" it carries more significance?

Edit: Problem is you probably won't notice it on the right. Must be a way around it.
  • TinkerTinker Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14395Members
    There are too many buttons for me to have to worry about but if it's functionality you want then I'd have no problem with it.

How about this? When someone in the same room as you (or within a certain distance) uses their mic, the icon comes up some other colour thus when they say "behind you" it carries more significance?

Edit: Problem is you probably won't notice it on the right. Must be a way around it.

What's wrong with 1 more button? Don't use it if it's too much for you, there are ways around the team-chat style limitations that you could use and I doubt anyone would look down on you for it.

Assuming a it could be a mod or wouldn't take significant dev time I think it's an awesome idea. Bonus points if the voice becomes directional so you can hear where it's coming from. I like the idea that I don't have to spam info to people on the other side of the map when it's only relevant to my engagement.

Awesome idea, but with the focus on performance and balance I doubt it will get much attention.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    This would be excellent
  • BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members
    Tinker wrote: »

What's wrong with 1 more button? Don't use it if it's too much for you, there are ways around the team-chat style limitations that you could use and I doubt anyone would look down on you for it.

Assuming a it could be a mod or wouldn't take significant dev time I think it's an awesome idea. Bonus points if the voice becomes directional so you can hear where it's coming from. I like the idea that I don't have to spam info to people on the other side of the map when it's only relevant to my engagement.

Awesome idea, but with the focus on performance and balance I doubt it will get much attention.

I think my point in my very first line was that I would not use it but that I was in favour of it for someone else.

But with so many buttons to have to hit, and being that I don't even like having to push a button to use my mic, I probably won't make use of it.
  • CragChristCragChrist Join Date: 2013-05-15 Member: 185239Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    For pub play I can definitely see this as being useful since mic chatter is often drowning out every other sound (when chatter exists in pubs).
  • StripetailsStripetails Join Date: 2013-01-30 Member: 182644Members, NS2 Playtester
    :O Could you imagine if they made it to where activating your mic actually made your voice emit from your character model?

Woah that'd be something both awesome and horrible. Awesome it could be done, horrible for the sneaky marine wanting that ninja phase stuck.