Correct spawning view angle

RedSwordRedSword Join Date: 2006-12-07 Member: 58947Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
Hi,

as you may or not know, when you are respawning (not dead and about to get alive) as a marine (and also as an alien sometimes if I recall correctly), you can move your mouse to spectate around your spawning-spot. The problem is, the absolute vector towards where you're looking is not the same as when you spawn.

i.e. when you're respawning, look at the command chair and stop moving your mouse, then when you spawn, you PROBABLY won't be looking at it again; even thought your "spectating" view and "player view" originate from the same coordinate (or looks like, from a player perspective).

It's one of the first annoying bug I encountered when starting NS2; and I'm saddened it is still not corrected; as I feel it's one of those tiny detail that make a game polished or not.

RedSword

Comments

• NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    Yup, this is very annoying when you want to make a bee line toward whatever direction you hope to face, only to find that you may have to do a 180 upon spawning. It can be detrimental if there's a skulk biting a structure in the same room and you must shoot said skulk asap. I don't think there would be any objections to aligning the player view and the spawn spectator view.
  • joederpjoederp Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165992Members
    Agreed I hate this. When base is under attack and you want to start moving in a certain direction you can't it seems random which way you end up going once you spawn. Even if I align my spec camera up with the direction my marine is facing it seems to never go the direction I expected and I jump right into the onos face instead of away from it.
  • RedSwordRedSword Join Date: 2006-12-07 Member: 58947Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited October 2015
    Just to let you know that the problem seems to still exist. As I'm currently playing I experience this, and this isn't the first time during this build. It seems to be only in subsequent spawn though (and not always ? I'd need to look more into it).
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Spawning as Alien resulted in staring at the floor some times, was that fixed?
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2015
    Does literally noone look at the cdt trello? Otherwise you would have seen that the given trello note still needs approval and working repro steps: https://trello.com/c/EpRwe21V/814-fix-bug-causing-view-to-default-to-90-degrees-upon-spawning
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    The better part of me doesn't want to continue this necro... but... seriously, is it THAT big of a deal to bring it back up over 2 yrs later? I've played THOUSANDS of rounds. Never once has this caused any kind of issue so as to affect the outcome of the game. Ever.

Good to know it's on the list, but really... does this affect anybody beyond being very slightly annoyed (if it bugs you) for like a split second?
  • RedSwordRedSword Join Date: 2006-12-07 Member: 58947Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited October 2015
    Does literally noone look at the cdt trello? Otherwise you would have seen that the given trello note still needs approval and working repro steps: https://trello.com/c/EpRwe21V/814-fix-bug-causing-view-to-default-to-90-degrees-upon-spawning

I apologize but I did search... and looking back at it I was using the trello search box which doesn't look within the current project -_-. Ctrl-f-ing works <.<.
    2cough wrote: »
    The better part of me doesn't want to continue this necro... but... seriously, is it THAT big of a deal to bring it back up over 2 yrs later? I've played THOUSANDS of rounds. Never once has this caused any kind of issue so as to affect the outcome of the game. Ever.

Good to know it's on the list, but really... does this affect anybody beyond being very slightly annoyed (if it bugs you) for like a split second?

Are you kidding ? Spawning and directly firing to a skulk biting your I.P. is game-changing...
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    RedSword wrote: »
    Are you kidding ? Spawning and directly firing to a skulk biting your I.P. is game-changing...

You can look at your feet and shoot as you're spawning or wherever you wish... are you sayin you encounter a bug that it sometimes causes you to not look where you want when spawning? Cuz I just tested it a bunch and every single time I spawned while firing exactly where I wanted. If it's something that happens sometimes like the gun jam on extremely sporadic occasions, then how many times honestly have you had it not looking where you want while ALSO a skulk is your ip while ALSO it's a game deciding action? I've never experienced it. Or are you saying that it is a broken feature that would be unfair to the skulk in your situation?

Maybe I don't understand what exactly you're talking about. One way or the other, I just don't see how it's a "game-changing" problem.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I thought this was resolved ages ago? If there is a skulk in the base I always point my view to wherever he is and still spawned looking right at him maybe its just a placebo for me, meh.
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    This has maybe happened 4-5 times....in 6 years.....so yea... i dont think its really an issue.