Improvements to the Nations Cup

BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members
What improvements could be made? The setting up of the teams seemed a little haphazard but I suppose the tournament has been fun for a first time (in NS2).

One thing I thought was to make the group matches 2 games on one map. The way it is set out, a semi final can end in 3 games whereas a group stage match is 4.

I feel like if you want to give the later rounds a more imposing feel then you should make them longer. At least in comparison to the preceding rounds.
"But then it would take too long and the asteroids would hit us before we end the tournament". Hmm.

I really don't see why that is the case. If anything, I find the Nations Cup to be more meaningful than any other tournament because you see a bunch of players jumping from team to team (Eissfeldt has been in so many teams I think he's been in an NS3 team at this point) and you don't get the feeling that a team has much character (obviously there are several exceptions but you get the point).

I would like to see the Nations Cup be the premier event. The only counter to it is that the best players will not be in the Nations Cup come final time because with a "club"-based system you can poach talent until you have the greatest amalgamation of players.

Comments

• SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    I personally would have liked for there to be more days to play. Not necessarily more opponents, but say we have 3 other teams to play with, give us 2-3 weeks to get the first games out of the way, then for semis/quarters/finals a stricter timeline, (a week or so to play them).

More rounds. I know of some people who aren't a big fan, but i love Bo7s. Playing Bo5 on a game like NS2 is really weird. Start off at aliens and if you're atleast close in skill with the other team you're going to win the BoX. But a Bo7 gives more opportunity for a team to win a marine half or a couple of extra rounds to try to bring in a marine win.
  • GoldenGolden Join Date: 2004-09-01 Member: 31169Members, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    The ping issue for intercontinental play needs to be fixed before any international tournament can really be taken seriously.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    I wasn't under the impression it was supposed to be taken seriously. More of something to lighten up the summer dull people talk about. How can you solve ping problems anyway, should middle ground (same bad ping for everyone) servers be used instead?
  • GoldenGolden Join Date: 2004-09-01 Member: 31169Members, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Silver, NS2 Community Developer
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Golden wrote: »
    The only way I see that working is if you have a software solution that finds the lowest sum of ping server from all the comp players involved.
  • MyOwnOwnerMyOwnOwner Join Date: 2010-01-09 Member: 70006Members
    I was constantly looking for the live streams and had to search a lot until i found the "right" ones.

It would be a great thing, if you can put up all casters (links) at the corresponding cup. This way ensl.org becomes a more important site to the ns2 community in my eyes - not only for competitive players.

It is good to have a link to the previous casts like the "watch replay" links currently under the lates news, but when you want to see it live, you really have to know where you have to search.

I know it is a big logistic effort to manage all casters and to put in the links by hand, but I am sure interest in ns2 comp play will increase.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
  • PaLaGiPaLaGi Join Date: 2008-01-03 Member: 63331Members, Constellation
    Golden wrote: »
    The ping issue for intercontinental play needs to be fixed before any international tournament can really be taken seriously.

So rather than playing seriously against Finland, you guys use troll roles and bad sportsmanship. Well played USA. Even WasabiOne casting was like "uhh wtf guys".

Probably good more people didn't watch. What an embarrassment.
  • PaLaGiPaLaGi Join Date: 2008-01-03 Member: 63331Members, Constellation
    MyOwnOwner wrote: »
    I was constantly looking for the live streams and had to search a lot until i found the "right" ones.

I didn't know when the matches were happening either and just watched the VODs afterwards. Not sure why Canada forfeited. The France-Finalnd final was definitely the most enjoyable to watch.
  • GamerkatzeGamerkatze Join Date: 2012-06-27 Member: 153711Members
    edited June 2013
    PaLaGi wrote: »
    Not sure why Canada forfeited.

they were missing too many players on the matchday :(