Xbox One (1)

Comments

• turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Monkfish wrote: »
    It's like everyone forgot that xbone's multiplayer will be gated behind a paywall too. Xbox live has gotten shittier every single year it's been out and PS+ is a vastly better service in every way shape and form and I was pro 360 this entire generation.

It'll be less than $5/mo and you get like what. $200+ in free games a year?

I am not supporting the xbox either. The whole console business is pretty lame with paying for p2p online. I will probably pick up a PS4 if it gets exclusives I want mainly looking for good single player RPGs and 399 is pretty cheap but that online price just grinds my gears. Mostly because I have been playing on the PC for so long and have not had to pay any fees just to access the multiplayer portion of certain games. I mean if we had to pay 5 dollars a month to play NS2 and all other steam games online would you be ok with it as long as we got 1-2 older games?

To play only NS2 online? No. To play my entire library online? I'd pay more than $5. At that price that's a minimum of three months of subscription for one hour of work at any entry level job.

clearly i'm not saying that steam should do this, but if they did and I didn't have any alternatives, i'd pay the shit out of it.
  • dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    The really sad thing is, outside of the U.S, many of these features are locked. New Zealand, for example. Oh well.

To quote ex-CEO? of the guy behind SimCity (5) "Why would I want to live in those places"?
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2013
    Interesting read about Kinect: (kinda cool in my opinion)
    http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/11/4420610/xbox-one-kinect-trades-gimmicks-for-true-interactivity

Interesting video: (used games / gaming industry)

• MonkfishMonkfish Sonic-boom-inducing buttcheeks of terrifying speed! Join Date: 2003-06-03 Member: 16972Members
    I don't think I can trust anything polygon says about Microsoft after they took $750,000 from them to start their website. The kinect is a terrible gimmick.
  • jostoljostol Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166659Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Who in their right mind would purchase an xbox one?
    Always online, Always watching you, monitoring you taking images and your heartbeat AND they are going to give that information to the government on request.

WHY would you give away your privacy? You are allowing electronic surveillance of you and your home willingly. I'm quite surprised that this isn't illegal.

There are so many other downfalls and issues that I don't even want to go into them, in fact the Xbox One is SO bad I'm really tempted *just* to buy a Playstation 4 to show Microsoft how wrong they are by not purchasing their gaming system and purchasing their competitor's instead even though I have a PS3 and a decent gaming pc I built myself and have no plans to buy new consoles or handhelds ever again. That's how bad the Xbox One is.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2013
    Why do i even bother, not getting a console anyway... and if we want to talk about prism etc. we should make a new topic.
  • MonkfishMonkfish Sonic-boom-inducing buttcheeks of terrifying speed! Join Date: 2003-06-03 Member: 16972Members
    How is that even the same thing?
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2013
    I honestly don't get all the Xbox One hate. I can sort of understand it, but as we all come from the 'Steam' perspective of things then surely we should be more receptive.

I am sure M$ are looking to push it towards the digital market, as that is the future. I know they apparently 'support' retailers, but if you can cut out the logistics of distribution it means cheaper to make and publish games. That means bigger profits all round and should mean cheaper games.

Personally, I don't care too much about the spec issue. 20 - 30% better performance, possibly. Will it really make difference to my gaming experience? Probably not.

M$ have a better looking console. Yes, it is better looking. In fact, the brand (imo) is so much stronger and refined. I.e. Everything looks like it is part of the same experience.

The controller is a lot better, and the new additions to it sound awesome.

The Kinect 2 is 'potentially' going to be amazing. They spoke about some stuff at E3, and I sort of got the jist of what it might be used for when they first announced it. Packaging it with the console is genius, because developers don't have to ignore something that a majority of XBone owners might not have. They will all have it.

Pointing at the screen, grenade throwing gestures, reload gestures, leaning, reading your movement, voice, etc... (the heartbeat thing is BS imo, but we'll have to see) and I think it will be a lot better with the IR sensor. I just hope that this commitment to it by including it with the console means that they spent the money on the technology as well.

XBL is better.

Basically, the Xbox is going to have real future appeal imo. We might not see it now, but I think it has a lot of potential. Everyone bitches about Apple, but the iPhone is really the father of smart phone/touch screen technology that people actually use.

My only real criticism is the attitude towards Indie developers, but I really don't want to know about the complexities of business behind the scenes. Business in general is very ruthless, and all the M$ hate is really quite silly. Sony will be just as bad behind the scenes.

I sort of like that M$ have decided to do something controversial. Sony have cowered to a few loud people because they think it will = profit. That is what it is about for the business side of these companies! Don't be fooled! But M$ seem to be trying to do something completely different. I'm interested tbh.
    How much did they pay you for that post. Was it per word or a bulk thing.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2013
    Why don't you actually address the things I just mentioned, rather than throwing flippant comments at me that bounce off my chest of steel?

I honestly don't care which console people buy. I just think the Bone has a lot of potential, and if you read it all, you'd see that I really don't support either. I just like gaming.
    Runteh wrote: »
    Why don't you actually address the things I just mentioned, rather than throwing flippant comments at me that bounce off my chest of steel?

I honestly don't care which console people buy. I just think the Bone has a lot of potential, and if you read it all, you'd see that I really don't support either. I just like gaming.

Okay
    M$ have a better looking console. Yes, it is better looking. In fact, the brand (imo) is so much stronger and refined. I.e. Everything looks like it is part of the same experience.

Completely irrelevant.
    The controller is a lot better, and the new additions to it sound awesome.

Completely subjective. The only "additions" are rumble in the triggers and an updated dpad.

Sony have redesigned the DS4 and everyone that has handled it has said how much better it is and now there's practically no difference between the controllers

-Longer & slightly rubberized grips
    -Better triggers
    -FIxed analogue sticks
    -Bigger & Heftier without feeling overweight
    -Touchpad (actually a new addition)
    The Kinect 2 is 'potentially' going to be amazing. They spoke about some stuff at E3, and I sort of got the jist of what it might be used for when they first announced it. Packaging it with the console is genius, because developers don't have to ignore something that a majority of XBone owners might not have. They will all have it.

Pointing at the screen, grenade throwing gestures, reload gestures, leaning, reading your movement, voice, etc... (the heartbeat thing is BS imo, but we'll have to see) and I think it will be a lot better with the IR sensor. I just hope that this commitment to it by including it with the console means that they spent the money on the technology as well.

The kinect is watching and listening 100% of the time. Microsoft will collect data on your watching & gaming habits, your expression & heartbeat and then sell those to marketers to target ads at you more effectively.

Do you really expect people to accept this king of thing just for more useless gestures? I've never seen kinect integration into a game or a kinect only game that didn't control like a piece of shit.
    XBL is better.

In what way? Here's the list of features in XBL v PS+

XBL
    -Multiplayer gated behind paywall
    -Netflix gated behind baywall. Subscriptions behind subscriptions
    -Full of ads

PS+

-Free games (a pretty considerate amount of games at that)
    -Discounts
    -Early demos
    -Exclusive demos
    -Multiplayer behind paywall (PS4 only, though)
    -Netflix not gated behind PS+

what about XBL is "better?"
    Basically, the Xbox is going to have real future appeal imo. We might not see it now, but I think it has a lot of potential. Everyone bitches about Apple, but the iPhone is really the father of smart phone/touch screen technology that people actually use.

Future appeal based on what, the amount of positive feedback microsoft is getting right now? Because I can tell you it's none.
    My only real criticism is the attitude towards Indie developers, but I really don't want to know about the complexities of business behind the scenes. Business in general is very ruthless, and all the M$ hate is really quite silly. Sony will be just as bad behind the scenes.

Almost every indie that has spoken up about XBL has said what a collosal frustration it is to work on that platform. Sony have gone out of their way to make sure that indie companies can actually get their games out without the nonsense. Did you see the Sony conference? They had fucking Octodad there.

OCTODAD.
    I sort of like that M$ have decided to do something controversial. Sony have cowered to a few loud people because they think it will = profit. That is what it is about for the business side of these companies! Don't be fooled! But M$ seem to be trying to do something completely different. I'm interested tbh.

So making a completely consumer-unfriendly console with heavy DRM, always online, required 24h check ins and a constantly watching kinect is a good thing because it's "controversial?"

Do you want me to go on ooooor.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    ^ Addressing the irrelevant looks part, you forgot that the new Xbox one!eleven!! also looks like an 80ies VCR or 90ies CDi, so yeah... It really did go back in time :P
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    ^ Addressing the irrelevant looks part, you forgot that the new Xbox one!eleven!! also looks like an 80ies VCR or 90ies CDi, so yeah... It really did go back in time :P
    Personally I don't see the problem with that. Just sayin'. I quite liked my old 90s stereo.
    edited June 2013
    I think there is a pretty cool new xbox gold feature now, that i wish would be possible on steam.

Xbox now allows you to share your library with up to 10 family members(across their and your accounts) across the globe without the need for anyone to ever touch the physical medium.

Not sure If that allows you to play the same game at the same time, but even if not at least everyone can be logged in at the same time and access the shared library.

UPDATE <

To make it more clear:

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/license

Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere: Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.

The catch is, that "only" you and 1 of the 10 guys in your xbox "family" can access and play from your library at the same time, it is possible to play the same game at the same time.

Is it worth the online drm? Hard to say... but it would save me and my brother lots of cash, if something like this was available with steam. :P
  • CabooseCaboose title = name(self, handle) Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13597Members, Constellation
    I certainly won't be getting one. Though, I may pick one up second-hand after people start selling them because it creeps them out. Take it apart, reuse the sensors from the kinect2 in a robot, then see if I can install Linux on what's left, and install Steam on that.
  • sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
    edited June 2013
    XBL
    -Multiplayer gated behind paywall
    -Netflix gated behind baywall. Subscriptions behind subscriptions
    -Full of ads

PS+

-Free games (a pretty considerate amount of games at that)
    -Discounts
    -Early demos
    -Exclusive demos
    -Multiplayer behind paywall (PS4 only, though)
    -Netflix not gated behind PS+

XBL has free games with the Xbox1. Even now it also has discounts, early demos and exclusive demos. The ads on XBox are crap but it's a trade-off against the PS store being slow. The PS version of Netflix is/was restricted to SD, whilst the Xbox plays at HD.

I'd be very surprised if you 'fight the power' Generation X guys are correct about Kinect "Always watching you, monitoring you taking images and your heartbeat AND they are going to give that information to the government on request."

The most common complaints about the Xbox1 are irrelevant to me:

"You don't own the game, you own a license" - Semantics. You buy a game, you can play it.
    "It's always online" - Do people know what they mean when they say this? I think they're wrong: you can use it offline. It requires a connection to the servers once every 24 hours to play games, from what I understand. More relevant is that surely the majority wouldn't buy a games console system in 2013 with no internet access? I'm pretty sure everyone here has internet access so it doesn't affect you ;o . MS can balls it up if they prevent the console from functioning at all, though: I imagine 1 day+ phoneline outages aren't super uncommon in some parts of the world. But a console in 2013 requiring online is- to me- the same as the PS3/Xbox360 dropping standard support for SCART cables to TV made in the '90s.
    "It looks crap" - It does look crap, but the PS4 looks crap, too. Be honest though guys- you're Microsoft haters at this point: The PS4 box could have been finished with a lacquer of dog poo but you'd still talk about how crap the Xbox1 looks.

The price point is a big advantage for Sony, however.

I'd take a punt and say that the anti-MS amongst you hate Blizzard because they make crap games, hate Infinity Ward because CoD is a cancer to games, hate EA because they produce annual series and will soon enough hate Valve because... I don't know, maybe Steam gives them a PC monopoly.

Sheep, in other words.

If the PS4 is better than the Xbox1, I'll buy a PS4
    If the Xbox1 is better than the PS4, I'll buy an Xbox1

I'm keeping an open mind.

• ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    sherpa wrote: »
    XBL has free games with the Xbox1. Even now it also has discounts, early demos and exclusive demos. The ads on XBox are crap but it's a trade-off against the PS store being slow. The PS version of Netflix is/was restricted to SD, whilst the Xbox plays at HD.

I'd be very surprised if you 'fight the power' Generation X guys are correct about Kinect "Always watching you, monitoring you taking images and your heartbeat AND they are going to give that information to the government on request."

"You don't own the game, you own a license" - Semantics. You buy a game, you can play it.
    "It's always online" - Do people know what they mean when they say this? I think they're wrong: you can use it offline. It requires a connection to the servers once every 24 hours to play games, from what I understand. More relevant is that surely the majority wouldn't buy a games console system in 2013 with no internet access? I'm pretty sure everyone here has internet access so it doesn't affect you ;o . MS can balls it up if they prevent the console from functioning at all, though: I imagine 1 day+ phoneline outages aren't super uncommon in some parts of the world. But a console in 2013 requiring online is- to me- the same as the PS3/Xbox360 dropping standard support for SCART cables to TV made in the '90s.
    "It looks crap" - It does look crap, but the PS4 looks crap, too. Be honest though guys- you're Microsoft haters at this point: The PS4 box could have been finished with a lacquer of dog poo but you'd still talk about how crap the Xbox1 looks.

I'd take a punt and say that the anti-MS amongst you hate Blizzard because they make crap games, hate Infinity Ward because CoD is a cancer to games, hate EA because they produce annual series and will soon enough hate Valve because... I don't know, maybe Steam gives them a PC monopoly.

Sheep, in other words.

Or you could just do the sensible thing and stick with PC gaming.
    Also a good choice :)
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    edited June 2013
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    sherpa wrote: »

Sheep, in other words.

Or you could just do the sensible thing and stick with PC gaming.

I would be PC only if it were not for certain exclusives. I had to get a friggen Vita just to play the new Ys and we all know that handheld is sinking fast. I am sure these consoles have the capability to pull an exclusive that some people will want that is not on the PC. Well at least some games are now going multiplatform on the PC.
  • MonkfishMonkfish Sonic-boom-inducing buttcheeks of terrifying speed&#33; Join Date: 2003-06-03 Member: 16972Members
    edited June 2013

Halo 3 and Assassin's creed 2 are the only ones they showed. They're worth like $5 at this point.

The xbox one has to check in every 24 hours or else you are locked out of your games until you go back online. Nobody can guarantee 100% uptime no matter how fast their broadband is. What happens if your ISP goes down for a day? Or there's some maintenance that disrupts the service? What happens if your modem isn't configured right? What about military personnel? You're not going to have a very good connection in the middle of the desert.

Microsoft have been quoted saying that if you don't have a connection to just go buy the 360. They're working their asses off taking down every single youtube video of them saying it.

The most worrying this about this is that Microsoft has to make sure that their system is working 100% OF THE TIME. What happens if they fuck up on their end? It's happened more than enough times. Their system goes down for a day? Nobody in the world can play their games. Remember when amazon's servers went down a year or two ago? A hell of a lot of websites just straight up stopped working.

You don't live in one of these countires?
    Australia
    Austria
    Belgium
    Brazil
    Canada
    Denmark
    Finland
    France
    Germany
    Ireland
    Italy
    Mexico
    Netherlands
    New Zealand
    Norway
    Russia
    Spain
    Sweden
    Switzerland
    United Kingdom
    United States

Sorry. You can't play xbox one.

I never even commented on the looks. I just said it was irrelevant to compare the two to decide a 'winner'

The price is a huge factor. The systems are basically identical hardware wise (The PS4 is more powerful on paper though) and someone walking into a shop and see's the PS4 $100/£80 cheaper you bet your ass they're going to go for that one.

So having a critical mind about microsofts anti-consumerist console means I hate steam now? Better go delete my 240+ games vov.

Sounds like you're just hand waving everyone's arguments against the xbone to me.
    Monkfish wrote: »
    I never even commented on the looks.

Never said you did!
    Sounds like you're just hand waving everyone's arguments against the xbone to me.

It's in response to the anti-Xbox comments before it's been released. I'm definitely not pro-Xbox though (example: not porting arcade is a bad idea; charging devs (including indie devs) a five-digit fee to update their game is a bad idea). I just feel people are fighting to bring it down. No-one batted an eyelid at Sony introducing a subscription requirement to play online in the PS4 but MS gets hammered for introducing new multimedia features.
  • MonkfishMonkfish Sonic-boom-inducing buttcheeks of terrifying speed&#33; Join Date: 2003-06-03 Member: 16972Members
    I think people are just reacting to what microsoft is showing and they're not happy with it. They're showing all of these radical and unnerving things and telling people to buy it without explaining why people should buy it and why that these are good things.

They have a huge messaging problem that they don't know how to fix.
    edited June 2013
    The price is a huge factor. The systems are basically identical hardware wise (The PS4 is more powerful on paper though) and someone walking into a shop and see's the PS4 $100/£80 cheaper you bet your ass they're going to go for that one.

Well the contents of the package are not the same - you have the kinect crap with the xbox, where it will cost you 65$ for the camera and another ~45-75$ for move+move navigator on the playstation. (45 is the best amazon price i could find 75 is the suggested sale price of the move crap)

While we dont know if kinect will ever be really worth it (since i guess the dancing and jumping around thing isnt that attractive for the ppl hanging around on reddit and forums like this) but at least there is now the potential of developers actually trying to innovate more for it given that it will be in ppls homes now.

Smart move from sony! (good that they waited on pricing and finalizing whats coming in the package)
    Since their camera thing could in theory profit from developers doing stuff for kinect... without requiring to ship it with the console.

PS: I just realized the xbox has a power button(besides a powercable), which powers off the console and kinect (next to the software options to turn of kinect alone while the console is running etc) so if you can still manage to get up from a couch to click powerbuttons(because you dont trust the software to really turn it off) you can actually wank in private. (or you could also cover the kinect [or maybe yourself?] with tin foil i guess :P)
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    I really feel that kinect has way too much full body focus for game gimmicks. It would be much better with more subtle features like stuff you can do when sitting down and holding a controller. Stuff like throwing a grenade with proper physics depending how you swing it your arm (throwing it behind you etc), enabling manual input on a in-game keypad, opening doors seamlessly by simply moving controller closer or further away, leaning corners or emoting a thumbs up translates to the same gesture in-game. Little things that can take a button or two away from your controller.
    That's sort of the kind of thing sony is doing with the DS4's touch pad. In the new Killzone you can swipe a certain direction to pick different skills without pressing a button to bring up a menu to select it the traditional way.
  • Sp3cia1Sp3cia1 NY/MASS Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177755Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Here some photos I took while I was out at LA
    Backview with ports
    20130611_170743.jpg
    Front view with controller
    20130611_170658.jpg
    MS event Metal Gear Solid 5
    20130610_093622.jpg
    My jaw dropped when I saw the animations of the grey and bay horses.
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    My opinions:
    Xbonx One: Not gonna get it.
    PS4 : Not gonna get it. I was seriously considering it, but the paywall for multiplayer isn't worth it. I don't care about the "free" games. I think getting rid of the free online multiplayer will just give sony a ticket to stop trying to keep their paid solution (psn+) good. So it's good now (PSN+ that is), but just look at xbox live gold, it's the only way to play multiplayer games on that system and it's terrible. No dedicated servers, they shut down old master servers when they feel like it (original xbox live master servers for example) and live voice chat is locked behind gold.

If I was given a guarantee that I'll be able to play any multiplayer game on the PS4 for the lifetime of the console with no master/dedicated server shutdowns, I'd pay for it. But they won't do that.

Guess I'm sticking to PC gaming, oh and that Ouya that should arrive next month.
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    edited June 2013
    Ironsoul wrote: »
    My opinions:
    oh and that Ouya that should arrive next month.

Why the Ouya? My understanding is that it's basically a smartphone in a box that comes with a controller and can't play relatively simple games fullscreen on a 40" TV without crippling the FPS. The controller also got a lot of flak for being...inferior (refer to deadzone images of common controllers compared to ouya one).
    That's sort of the kind of thing sony is doing with the DS4's touch pad. In the new Killzone you can swipe a certain direction to pick different skills without pressing a button to bring up a menu to select it the traditional way.

Neat.
    Yea I'm interested to see what they come up with for the touchpad. My initial reaction given the location of it is that- unless you hold the controller with one hand- only your thumbs can touch it. As my thumbs are about as nimble as a chimp's I won't be doing subtle gestures just thumb-smashes.

Tit-for-tat though: the Xbox1 controller not having a USB-rechargable battery sucks, but I do prefer its ergonomics (based on PS3/Xbox360).
    lol microsoft just pulled a complete 180 on all of their drm and online check in policies.