Natural Selection 2 Tutorial Level

CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
Alrighty, we've all got our various theories as to why rookies stop playing NS2 we're not going to dive into that debate here. What I for one believe to be a factor is that NS2 lacks some sort of tutorial level for new players to get a feel for things before they're thrown into the throng. This sort of thing isn't very high on UWE's priorities list (with good reason) so I figure we as the community should give it a shot. Perhaps if it gets polished enough UWE will consider including it vanilla.

I've got zero knowledge of lua and about as much knowledge of coding in general. So I figured I'd ask and see if anyone is willing to help with some stuff to go into the mod. I've laid out a basic map in editor which will work decently enough as a marine introduction level.

What I need now is as follows:

- A way to start the round/level without setting cheats to 1. Once a player joins Marines the round should start.

- Some sort of UI element that can be updated with current objectives based on the room a player is in or based on some other trigger. Ideally it would be based on a progression through the tutorial but that's probably a lot more complicated than displaying a message based on room.

Something similar to the way explore mode displays tips is a good model to work from. Perhaps displaying said tips after pointing at something would also be useful.

- A rudimentary AI Skulk that will be capable of spawning on a fixed timer after a trigger and be able to use vents. All it really needs is running and attacking in a straight line, anything else is a bonus. We're just introducing the marine to the enemy, not teaching advanced combat.

- Starting the round with the chair "occupied" or at least locked. Also removing any "commander needed" messages.

That's all I can come up with at the moment. If anyone has any tips for going about doing any of these things (or compiling this mod in some way that it can be collaborated on, I think the new mod system does something like this, I'll look into it soon) your help would be greatly appreciated.

I'll toss the map and screenies online soon enough for feedback.

Comments

• JimWestJimWest Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69865Members, Reinforced - Silver
    For the ui and skulk ai, you can use my ExtraEntitiesMod.
    Cc occupiedand starting round directly is quite easy,
    You can use my logic_lua and write just a few code lines and dont have to write a complete own mod.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    JimWest wrote: »
    For the ui and skulk ai, you can use my ExtraEntitiesMod.
    Cc occupiedand starting round directly is quite easy,
    You can use my logic_lua and write just a few code lines and dont have to write a complete own mod.
    Holy mackeral. Your Extra Entities Mod is a gold mine. That might have just solved most of my problems. It's going to take me a bit to get all this sorted out but thanks a ton!
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    That mod is pretty amazing, but I think you should start first with a script of how the tutorial should work. For example, here is a community made training map for NS1:

Its a nice, scripted but interactive tutorial level that introduces you to the parts of NS1. Sadly, it came out in 2005 rather than 2003.