textur tutorial

=Mr.P==Mr.P= Join Date: 2012-02-20 Member: 147025Members, Reinforced - Shadow
hey everyone again.
i have noticed that there is no topic fore how to make textures and two guys pm me and ask how to.
so i'm gonna  to post a small tutorial

you have to save your picture as a dds file
(DX5 : ARGB : 8bit : Interpolated Alpha .DDS)

pixel size 1024x1024 or 512x512
let's say you save it as (test1.dds)

you will also need to do a Normal map and Specularity map
and call them test1_normal.dds and test1_SPEC.dds

make a folder with the name of your texture library called (for example) my_texture
and save the folder in

C:\Steam\steamapps\common\natural selection 2\ns2\materials\my_texture

now when you have those 3 files + the folder you have to create a material file
and open it in notepad ++ or a similar program

copy this code

shader = "shaders/Level.surface_shader"
albedoMap = "materials/my_textur/test1.dds"
normalMap = "materials/my_textur/test1_normal.dds"
specularMap = "materials/my_textur/test1_SPEC.dds"

surface = "rock" 

or "metal"

Comments

• SolarisSolaris Join Date: 2003-05-11 Member: 16213Members

I appreciate your effort, but to be honest, your tutorial lists what to do but spends no time at all on HOW to do these things. There is a thread about material files that goes into a bit more detail here: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/130208/request-material-files-explained#latest

Still there is no comprehensive "making simple textures" tutorial yet as far as I can tell. You have to put the pieces together yourself.

• =Mr.P==Mr.P= Join Date: 2012-02-20 Member: 147025Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    you mean like how to make shader/normalmap/specularmap
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    edited May 2013
    If you want to learn the nut-and-bolds of how to make textures, as in how to actually create basic texture images, then there are a huge array of tutorials out there. I recommend starting with the Polycount Wiki
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    For step-by-step tutorials on making different types of textures try philipk's site. They can be quite advanced but I like his methods and I have stolen a lot of tricks from him. 
    For generating normal maps I recently got told about a nice bit of freeware called knald.While I haven't spent much time with it, I can tell you its 3d preview is top notch, it'll give you a good idea of how your texture maps will interact when they're in game. 
    I personally use ndo2, its plugs straight into photoshop, and there's a free trial version so you could try it to see if it fits your workflow.