Something in the last patch caused some trouble with mods

CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
edited May 2013 in Technical Support
Every time since the last update, the game has an issue with trying to download mods when it loads up.

For some reason the mods are not queued for download while I am out of the game (only mods that were actually updated recently get downloaded out of the game, yet there are many mods that NS2 claims to be queuing update downloads for in the console).
Only very few of those mods actually manage to get a download done, usually those that started the download first. As soon as the other bunch of mods (quite a lot, mostly maps and gametypes) queue up, the update process basically fails for all mods in the queue. They will then try to requeue 5 times until they log the error and are quiet - at least superficially.
The problem is that network traffic is raised immensely during the queuing phase, up to constant 400 kbps downstream. This causes my ping to any server to skyrocket (I basically get 100 additional ms to any server added that are also a pain during gameplay). You would imagine that the ping issue disappears after the mods stopped trying to queue, but in fact the 400 kbps download persists long after that and even after closing NS2 does it take about 3-4 more minutes for it to shut down again. Probably something Steam is doing for the queuing in the background. But I can definitely track that increase down to starting NS2 as cause.

Never had such issues before the latest patch.

http://i.imgur.com/XHbs4sd.jpg

Apparently I can slowly work down that list until all mods are downloaded every time I start NS2 (though it doesn't guarantee to manage to download an entire mod every time I do), but I thought I'd mention the issue anyway in case it's inherent to the changed download system.