Continued funding option for UWE - Badges

ChizzlerChizzler Join Date: 2013-01-04 Member: 177532Members
There have been many discussions regarding the options available to UWE to continue receiving funding for continued game development. These have included Paid Content DLC such as map packs (which UWE are against IIRC) and paid customization options such as the deluxe armour. Some people are for customization options and have openly stated they'd pay for such content, wheras others have said it'd be distracting to have various coloured marines or aliens running about, which i can understand. Ultimately, it's up to UWE to decide if the option is viable and can be implemented without ruining the feel or vision of the game.

After giving it some thought, I believe there is another customization option which would have minimal impact on what you see in-game. Badges.
The system is already in place and utilized to have badges next to player names in the scoreboard and in game when looked at directly. I believe UWE could charge a small amount for a selection of badges for players (i.e Individual badges or Badge packs). I can think of a range of badges off the top of my head, such as vector images of the various lifeforms and weapons, a badge saying CMD (for commanders) the TSF logo, a cyst or hive logo etc etc. These examples could tell other players a little about their play style or favorite class/team.

Thoughts?

Comments

• stack314stack314 Join Date: 2013-05-10 Member: 185187Members
    Absolutely, these type of ideas would further development.  Customization is a big player in many mobile and pc games.  Creating voicepacks and other superficial items that don't impact gameplay could all be worth a player cash.  I would invest in the ability to have taunts or voice prompts I purchased as dlc most def
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited May 2013
    I don't want to see things like custom skins or anything, but I wouldn't mind paying a small fee for a badge similar to the pax things, especially if it helps the development team

I do like the idea of having a little lerk or something next to my name on the tab menu

About the old pre-order black armor and stuff, I mean I'm fine with that, but I don't think I'd want to see marines running around custom armor everywhere, and more things to render = bigger performance hit I believe? So yeah I'd love to pay $5 to get a little badge pack
  • ChizzlerChizzler Join Date: 2013-01-04 Member: 177532Members
    edited May 2013
    stack314 said:
    Absolutely, these type of ideas would further development.  Customization is a big player in many mobile and pc games.  Creating voicepacks and other superficial items that don't impact gameplay could all be worth a player cash.  I would invest in the ability to have taunts or voice prompts I purchased as dlc most def
    Custom taunts sound awesome! though it would require recordings in the various languages NS2 has been released in, I'm confident it'd be financially viable too
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    Another viable option, is to include Zen of Zudoku in a bundle whit other indie games.
    GISP said:
    Another viable option, is to include Zen of Zudoku in a bundle whit other indie games.
    Maybe, although it's a fairly old game now, so i'm not sure how appealing it'd be for businesses such as HumbleBundle to include it... There's also the questions of compatibility and what responsibility UWE would have to support those customers
  • ijustpwnedu96ijustpwnedu96 Join Date: 2013-01-27 Member: 182320Members
    It's a good idea. However, $5 may be too expensive for the average player. I believe only people who really support UWE will pay $5 for a small badge you can only see on the Tab menu and or if you stand right next to them in-game. Since they already have the PAX badges, if shouldn't be too time consuming to release a couple new badges.  So, it might be worth the development time if people are willing to buy them for $5. 
    edited May 2013
    I wouldn't pay $5 for a single badge either.  99c-$1.99 sure,   for $5 i'd like a collection to choose from. They've already got vector images of various lifeforms and weapons, so yeah, it really wouldn't require much time to implement them as badges, i suspect the biggest issue UWE would have is creating a menu to scroll through them (and maybe the system for purchasing them)