NS2 = win8 = no fullscreen support

oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
edited May 2013 in Technical Support
Hello, I've installed windows 8 and can't play NS2 on fullscreen. Do someone knows a way to fix that?

It's nothing wrong with ns2, this happends to other games to.

Comments

• DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    id start by updating the driver.
    still gambling
  • GrayWGrayW UK Join Date: 2009-12-18 Member: 69701Members
    I'd also have to say this is probably down to your graphics drivers.
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2013
    OAG... Why are you using Windows 8 [-(

Also does the Fullscreen/Borderless Windowed Mode work, might use that for now even though it eats some FPS...

• ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @kouji_san does fullscreen windowed really hurt your fps? Never notice any decrease, and your rig is way better than mine?
  • shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I am using Windows 8 and fullscreen works. It is actually the only one working for me in an actually playable state.
  • digitaljuicedigitaljuice Join Date: 2003-01-17 Member: 12420Members
    IronHorse said:
    @kouji_san does fullscreen windowed really hurt your fps? Never notice any decrease, and your rig is way better than mine?
    i have a pretty decent rig and fullscreen windowed eats quite a bit of FPS, otherwise i'd run it all the time. Also what graphics card/resolution are you running to run it on and with?
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Fullscreen windowed only shows like a 3 FPS drop for me. If you alt-tab a lot it could be worth using fullscreen windowed. 
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    install windows vista
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    I had windows 7 and it worked perfect.

Now I have fps drop with windows 8 and I can't get fullscreen. What a crap software. Strange part about windows 8 is that if you install any driver from your modeboard then it crash the operative system.
  • MigeMige Join Date: 2005-03-19 Member: 45796Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    No problems here 
    Mige? Do you have dual monitor? And yet has fullscreen? Please confirm! :D
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    It's a problem with the operating system, not with unknown worlds.
    downgrade to windows 7, it's not worth upgrading to windows 8, it's the current age vista. (we all know how bad vista was, right?)
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Im still pondering to install windows 8 because people claim windows 7 runs games better.
    That sofar is my only downside. If you invest time in it to setup & learn, there is nothing wrong with windows 8.

I always run fullscreen windowed. :)

SO what exactly is the problem why you can not user it @ the opening poster.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2013
    IronHorse said:
    It's not a significant drop, but it certainly eats FPS more then normal windowed mode. I thought I just mentioned it ;)

Braw said:
    Win8 + Dual screens, no problem here.It really shouldn't be necessary to downgrade to W7. 
    It's not a downgrade :P
    edited May 2013
    Well is nothing wrong with nvidia drivers when it comes to not properly working fullscreen on windows 8.

I can confirm that fullscreen works perfectly in Starcraft 2 and planetside 2 (That's the only games I've tested so far).

Regarding performance, I only have performance drop on NS2 with 25-42 FPS and the reason is I'm playing on windows mode. Compared if I would played on fullscreen then I'll must likely would have same performance as in windows 7? So hopefully uwe can ivnestigate and solve this issue quickly.
  • BrawBraw Join Date: 2008-03-21 Member: 63920Members, Constellation
    Like I said, have you tested the beta drivers?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    It *should * just work, like it is for others.. So UWE has no info on why it wouldn't.
    If you figure it out or desire further diagnosing let us know :-)
    Kouji_San said:

Braw said:
    Win8 + Dual screens, no problem here.It really shouldn't be necessary to downgrade to W7. 
    It is. I'd rather see "we'll look into testing on the operating system that is the current version of the platform we support" instead of "downgrade to 7/vista/xp/2000/98/95/3.1 or whatever".
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    shonan said:
    Kouji_San said:

Braw said:
    It is. I'd rather see "we'll look into testing on the operating system that is the current version of the platform we support" instead of "downgrade to 7/vista/xp/2000/98/95/3.1 or whatever".
    Its only a downgrade if your using it on a tablet. For the rest of us who have these things called 'keyboards' and 'mice', Windows 8 is a bit of a productively nightmare. Not surprisingly, its not been well received by game developers. The fact that I have to install third-party software to get back the Start menu or edit my registry to disable the Charms Bar and Switcher is enough reason to forgo the 'upgrade'.

The irony is that gaming performance is actually not that different on Win8 as compared to Win7. If Microsoft stopped trying to make it into Windows: iPhone Edition then it would probably be a great OS. Maybe Microsoft will fix all their mistakes in Win8 Blue.
    Well if you go by their track record, it goes a little something like this [Good OS, Bad OS, Good OS, Bad OS etc...] Win8 is a bad one, so the next one should be good once more :)
    edited May 2013
    Opened task manager for windows 8 it drains 80 out of 100 procent cpu for 0,3 seconds compared with windows 7 that only drains 11 out of 100 procent for 0,3 seconds. Another note that task manager for windows 8 is so bugged.

I decided to go back to windows 7 64 bit but the issue still remains. :(

So now I know it's not the operative system that is the problem. I'll further investigate.

May the force be with me. <3
  • SkulkittoMeSkulkittoMe Join Date: 2013-05-04 Member: 185115Members
    Just saying, I'm on Win8 and I don't have issues with poor game performance (fps) or fullscreen support.

Good luck!
    ScardyBob said:
    shonan said:
    Kouji_San said:

Braw said:
    Its only a downgrade if your using it on a tablet. For the rest of us who have these things called 'keyboards' and 'mice', Windows 8 is a bit of a productively nightmare. Not surprisingly, its not been well received by game developers. The fact that I have to install third-party software to get back the Start menu or edit my registry to disable the Charms Bar and Switcher is enough reason to forgo the 'upgrade'.

The irony is that gaming performance is actually not that different on Win8 as compared to Win7. If Microsoft stopped trying to make it into Windows: iPhone Edition then it would probably be a great OS. Maybe Microsoft will fix all their mistakes in Win8 Blue.

Kouji_San said:
    Well if you go by their track record, it goes a little something like this [Good OS, Bad OS, Good OS, Bad OS etc...] Win8 is a bad one, so the next one should be good once more :)
    I dont care what you think, Win8 is the current version and after using it for a little while it is a lot better than Win7. But oh yeah you havent even used it.

Still if you are developing something you should be doing testing on Win8, naturally. Instead of "lol win8 sux, downgrade"
    I have to hop in with Shonan.
    I have worked with windows 8 for a bit, although not as much as I may like. But it is on many aspects vastly superior.

The crowd screaming it is not are usually IT folk. But lets not forget the overlarge majority are non it folk.
    They prefer to have everything on a desktop, use search options and have easy access to all.

Windows 8 provides easy access with tiles, the search is bloody fast and find everything from files to programs. And if that isnt fast emought, IT folk can use shortcuts which make it even faster.
    Only reason my own pc isnt running windows 8 yet is mainly due to possible compatibility issues with older games.

Windows 8 also uses less memory, task manager itself is improved and shows a lot more. People usually complain about the start menu, but how many in reality actually USE the menu accept to shutdown the computer?
    They (MS) ran huge optin (or optout cant remember) annonymous data collection worldwide and it showed in the result what we all already know. Almost noone ever uses the bloody menu. All the alternatives are faster.
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester

I do use the menu everytime, I don't even wait for it to appears, I press the first letters of the program I want, and then press Enter. Done. There are no faster way if you have tons of programs and you don't want to clutter your taskbar.

But I agree with you about all the fuss around Windows 8. Especially on a support topic like that. If you don't like it just don't post trolls, and try to help at least.

edited May 2013
    shonan said:
    ScardyBob said:
    shonan said:
    Kouji_San said:

Braw said:

Kouji_San said:
    I dont care what you think, Win8 is the current version and after using it for a little while it is a lot better than Win7. But oh yeah you havent even used it.

Still if you are developing something you should be doing testing on Win8, naturally. Instead of "lol win8 sux, downgrade"
    Quiet shonan, I'm trying to listen to the awesomeness that is WinME, Vista and 8 :P

...also you lost me at "I"

[edit]Mandatory rage++ at the new forum inputfield and quote tags not collapsing on itself

Since it's not related to just NS2, I'm still inclined to say. If this happens again for someone else, try and test the various 3D settings in the graphics card control center (Use application setting), it could work. But then again, as it's not just confined to NS2...
    Opened task manager for windows 8 it drains 80 out of 100 procent cpu for 0,3 seconds compared with windows 7 that only drains 11 out of 100 procent for 0,3 seconds. Another note that task manager for windows 8 is so bugged.

I decided to go back to windows 7 64 bit but the issue still remains. :(

So now I know it's not the operative system that is the problem. I'll further investigate.

May the force be with me. <3
    Sounds like you may have a hardware or driver issue somewhere if its happening on Win7 too. Did it work when you had Win7 installed previously? Also, have you installed new hardware since then?
    I have to hop in with Shonan.
    I have worked with windows 8 for a bit, although not as much as I may like. But it is on many aspects vastly superior.

The crowd screaming it is not are usually IT folk. But lets not forget the overlarge majority are non it folk.
    They prefer to have everything on a desktop, use search options and have easy access to all.

Windows 8 provides easy access with tiles, the search is bloody fast and find everything from files to programs. And if that isnt fast emought, IT folk can use shortcuts which make it even faster.
    Only reason my own pc isnt running windows 8 yet is mainly due to possible compatibility issues with older games.

Windows 8 also uses less memory, task manager itself is improved and shows a lot more. People usually complain about the start menu, but how many in reality actually USE the menu accept to shutdown the computer?
    They (MS) ran huge optin (or optout cant remember) annonymous data collection worldwide and it showed in the result what we all already know. Almost noone ever uses the bloody menu. All the alternatives are faster.
    I'd actually agree than Win8 is better in most respects, but is crippling bad in a few key areas. The sad part is Microsoft could have avoided the issue by making a Win7-like option available for those who like the Win7 setup (and I'm not IT and I prefer the older Win7 interface).

My hope is that they'll fix this nonsense with Blue and I can actually switch to Win8.