OpenXCOM

AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation

http://openxcom.org/

Haven't had the time to try it myself, but if that change list is anything to go by it's just about at the level of the original. Anyone already familiar with it?

Comments

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members

I find X-COM works just fine with the updates detailed here:

And I'm not sure why I'd need an open source port of the game that removes a lot of the features I can add with XComUtil and UFOLoader.

• AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Sure, but call me when any of that stuff materialized. Open X-COM has been in development for more than four years and it hasn't caught up to normal X-COM yet.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited July 2013
    I can say that the option to use XCOM 2012 item recovery (that is, alien artifacts are destroyed on their death, so you gotta stun them) makes gameplay more interesting all on its own, and all the little interface improvements really relieve a lot of little pains.
    But, I haven't used xcomutil or ufoloader so I'm not sure how exactly they compare.

Here's a bunch of screenshots, with quick comments explaining relevance.
    Yeah, I saw those on Steam. X-COM Util and UFOExtender do 80% of that - the radar range indicator is pretty cool, and strafe sounds interesting.
    edited July 2013
    Strafe is sadly not as cool as it sounds, since it doesn't seem to preserve the "mutual surprise" feature where entering line of sight for the first time means you won't get shot at, as long as you spot each other at the same time...
    But then, that was quite a number of nightly builds ago, so it might've been fixed.

EDIT: Yes it was. Or I just didn't have line of sight in the first place, hard to tell with reaction fire killing the guy instantly... my bad.
  • snozysnozy Join Date: 2013-05-21 Member: 185318Members
    They just improved the Alien A.I. and added 2 cool new features, well one of them is very useful, the other is for new players. It's on the main page http://openxcom.org/

Being a new fan of the original X-COM, this is a dream come true! Especially just discovering the site last month, I just jumped in and played until morning. The UFO Extender will be modded into OpenXcom as well! I started playing with that mod, so heck yeah.

So a nearly bug-free X-COM plus UFO Extended features is pretty mind blowing. Modding potential is high too. Really excited.