mIRC Scrim Channel - Any easy way to find scrims (?)

jewbearjewbear Join Date: 2013-02-09 Member: 182943Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
So i've been thinking about start up a central irc channel (probably on gamesurge) in order to finds scrims a lot easier for every team. I know that there is already a channel but people do not use it. If we could centralize one hub on irc for ns2 scrims it could be extremely efficient.

I would only create it if teams are willing to commit to the idea...so my question is, would teams be willing to commit to a central IRC channel for all ns2 scrims?

Comments

• T00byT00by Join Date: 2012-09-07 Member: 158286Members
    I'm having trouble understanding how switching channel and network would help at all. It would probably just lead to teams using the old one aswell as the new one.

If you want teams to commit to an IRC channel, make them commit to the one already existing.
  • casan0vaxcasan0vax Cloverfield, USA Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166663Members, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I support your sentiment but I agree with T0by. Why create a new one if there's already an old one that can just be resurrected?

Although, in my opinion... the comp scene is hardly big enough to warrant an IRC channel for this. Everyone is steam friends with everyone, I supposed the easiest way is for people just to ask around and scrims happen that way. And also, the shoutbox on ENSL's main page seems to be used in this fashion. A little crude and hardly efficient, I'll admit, but it works in its own little way.

But personally, I would love this. Would give me an excuse to use IRC again (even though I'm not actually on a team ;D). I haven't used it since I quit competitive CS1.6/CS:S. Ahhh... nostalgia kicking in. The good old days of #findscrim and #findringer.
  • jewbearjewbear Join Date: 2013-02-09 Member: 182943Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    T00by wrote: »
    I'm having trouble understanding how switching channel and network would help at all. It would probably just lead to teams using the old one aswell as the new one.

If you want teams to commit to an IRC channel, make them commit to the one already existing.

I wouldnt mind people going over to the existing one, but people dont use it, it would be easier to start over again and just force everyone to commit to the new one (hopefully).

Once again this will only work if people are on board.
  • AgielAgiel Join Date: 2006-11-14 Member: 58605Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    What's wrong with #ns2.search @ quakenet ?
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    /server irc.quakenet.org
    /join #ns2.search
  • SkugganSkuggan Join Date: 2010-03-19 Member: 71017Members
    The scrimfinder should be a sticky here and there should be a link on ensl. Creating a new channel would make things worse.
  • GarfuGarfu Join Date: 2012-02-12 Member: 145170Members
    Why not create a steam group.. NS2Scrims, and go in the chat if you are looking for a scrim.. Most people don't want to use IRC
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    IRC works fine and is getting used by some european teams at least. Just need to make more people use it. Mostly I see EU div 1/div 2 teams using it, but far from everyone use it. I personally have alot of the teams on steam so I usually go that way myself.
  • GadxGadx Join Date: 2003-03-22 Member: 14788Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Or just use the tools that we all already have (steam). Add team captains/scrim dads or make a group(lol). I would highly suggest just adding team captains and call it a day.

It's not like there is so many teams in ns2 playing right now that it is hard to add people to friends.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    Well, my friends list is full and I don't have one from every team there is. IRC is better, there is no limit. I find these "team captain" steamgroups to become messy and unused. Besides, IRC is faster and easier and you don't even need to install a client.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Garfu wrote: »
    Why not create a steam group.. NS2Scrims, and go in the chat if you are looking for a scrim.. Most people don't want to use IRC
    Frankly, we need a program that links the different methods (steam chatgroups, IRC, campfire, GChat, etc). I've found myself using Campfire and Steam Group more often than IRC, so my preference would be one of those methods, but I understand the simplicity of IRC. Any enterprising programmer interested in developing a method to interface the different chat programs? I'd start with allowing IRC and steam group chat to talk with each other.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited May 2013

There has been a group I created for this a long time ago. It still has some 400 members or something. No one seems to want to use it so I don't really pay attention to it anymore. Edit: apparently someone used it yesterday :O
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ns2scrimnet

The group or mIRC would probably benefit the EU scene much more than the NA. If I want to look for a scrim, I simply message the three other active NA Div 1 teams and ask.
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    Frankly, we need a program that links the different methods (steam chatgroups, IRC, campfire, GChat, etc). I've found myself using Campfire and Steam Group more often than IRC, so my preference would be one of those methods, but I understand the simplicity of IRC. Any enterprising programmer interested in developing a method to interface the different chat programs? I'd start with allowing IRC and steam group chat to talk with each other.
    That sounds like an overly complex task for a solution that should be much simpler, just bookmark this link and problem solved:
    http://webchat.quakenet.org/
  • SammyGSammyG England Join Date: 2013-05-07 Member: 185160Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited May 2013
    IRC is far too inactive for my liking. I do use it but I very rarely see anyone posting for scrims/pcw's except myself.  Steam friends is where most of our games come from and I assume many other peoples, as well as the ENSL website.<br>
  • SammyGSammyG England Join Date: 2013-05-07 Member: 185160Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited May 2013
    joshhh said:

There has been a group I created for this a long time ago. It still has some 400 members or something. No one seems to want to use it so I don't really pay attention to it anymore. Edit: apparently someone used it yesterday :O
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ns2scrimnet

The group or mIRC would probably benefit the EU scene much more than the NA. If I want to look for a scrim, I simply message the three other active NA Div 1 teams and ask.

That was me! I try and use every source available but I never get a reply from the steam group. I use IRC, ENSL website, Steam group and steam friends but most of the games come from steam friends. I found my first game through irc the other day.