A quick suggestion for server admins

SolidSpiderSolidSpider Join Date: 2013-04-14 Member: 184805Members
Dear public server admins,

Make it so that maps don't last for one round only. We should always play at least 2 rounds before the map rotates. This gives the players a chance to have a "rematch" where the teams go on the opposite sides and enjoy the map a second time as the other species.

I wouldn't be writing a thread if I didn't run into this problem all too often. If you don't usually encounter servers with this configuration, good. Because I sure do, and it gets freaking annoying.

That is all. Good day.

Comments

• invTempestinvTempest Join Date: 2003-03-02 Member: 14223Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    By default, the time a server stays on a map is purely time based rather than round based. Unless all servers start running extended admin mods (DAK) that have map vote and the ability to extend a current map there is no easy way to accomplish this other than to set the cycle time to something > 30 minutes, but even this won't ensure 2 rounds on the same map.
  • RobotixRobotix Join Date: 2013-02-20 Member: 183222Members
    I like the 30 minute timer system. When you play a 70-80 minute game on a map, you don't really want to play that map again for a while.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    edited June 2013
    i know where you coming from, the ZM UK server has 10 minutes and i have never played two times at same map :( im always trying to get it up to atleast 15 becouse a rematch or revenge is a must! 
    but about 30 min limit...played on refinary 8 rounds until the map changed, we got skulkrushed like 2 times then we returned the favor and egglocked, then aliens tried to outsmart our rush by rushing us and it was litterally down to the seconds who killed whos command center fastest and after a while we got tired of it and played it legitly, so after like 28 minutes the serious game started and went on for an hour and after 90 minutes or so of refinary it was enough for one day on ns2.

20 minutes should be the standard in my opinion
  • ma$$a$$terma$$a$$ter Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165651Members
    wow. that kind of made my brain cry. I think wanted to lower the default 30 minute map changer to 20 minutes because of rushes?
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Nothing worse than six 5 minute games in a row while everyone says "Map change this time I think".
  • piratedavepiratedave Join Date: 2012-03-10 Member: 148561Members
    another thing server admins need to do is ... that if you have a rookie server, dont install NS2stats, you have stat whores that are pub stomping rookies.
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    edited May 2013
    I don't agree with the OP at all..... If I'm playing a round that lasts 30 minutes (default time) or longer, I certainly don't want to play on the map again.
  • ruprechtruprecht Join Date: 2013-03-16 Member: 184022Members
    here's another suggestion, and i am being 100% serious.

nothing clears out a server like two pros stacking a team and going 62-3.  ban both of them from ever playing your server again.  they could easily split up and even the teams, but instead they make the losing team concede quickly and leave the server.  i have seen a dozen servers empty this week because of team stacking pros out for the lulz.

inb4 but pros make you better
    inb4 random teams isnt their fault
    inb4 learn to play
    inb4 you mad bro
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I often think a minimum time of 10 minutes OR a maximum of 2 rounds would be a better ruleset for map change. 
  • nezznezz Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174712Members
    ruprecht said:

nothing clears out a server like two pros stacking a team and going 62-3.  ban both of them from ever playing your server again.  they could easily split up and even the teams, but instead they make the losing team concede quickly and leave the server.  i have seen a dozen servers empty this week because of team stacking pros out for the lulz.

inb4 learn to play
    inb4 you mad bro

^ very reason ns2 is shit. What other game is really played like this? none. 
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited May 2013
    ruprecht said:

inb4 learn to play
    inb4 you mad bro
    You mad bro? Playing with team stacking pros can make you better. It gives you the opportunity to learn to play properly. It isn't their fault your not up to the task yet. 
  • ma$$a$$terma$$a$$ter Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165651Members
    current1y    well played good sir... well played