Type quit in console; entire PC crashes

LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
So when I type quit in console sometimes, it quits the game and then my entire PC crashes. I can't get any logs of error messages because it just freezes and then turns off after the game closes. Only NS2 does this - and just recently.

Comments

• MakasMakas Join Date: 2013-01-15 Member: 179678Members
    It's been like this for me for quite a few months. Thought it was my old cpu messing up.
    Have to take my time to exit the game; ESC -> Leave game -> Quit
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Easy fix. Open up the console and key in ALT F4.
  • rwsrws Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2013-01-05 Member: 177696Members
    Have you tried using exit instead of quit?
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'm not looking for a fix tbh, just reporting this exists.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    no more cheap rage quits for you sir, you must now play out those illfated rounds.
  • rwsrws Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2013-01-05 Member: 177696Members
    I tried to reproduce it, but have have not been able to. Does this happen while in a server, in the main menu, or does it not matter? If more people come forward and say they can reproduce it, I will be more than happy to report the bug.
  • FuleFule Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67683Members
    It's a punishment for quitters.

just kidding :D
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited April 2013
    IF your whole PC crashes (blue screen or restart) there's a good chance a dump has been made somewhere..
    If its just NS2 that crashes but you can ctrl alt del / use the OS still... keep that ns2 window open and run techsupport.exe to make a dump file.

I realize you're just reporting it.. but if we can't reproduce it and or its got something to do with your hardware/software combo then we need you to capture it and diagnose it so that it can be solved for you and others experiencing it.
    Thanks
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    IF your whole pc is crashed it should write a dumpfile in c:\windows or c:\windows\minidump
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    IronHorse wrote: »
    IF your whole PC crashes (blue screen or restart) there's a good chance a dump has been made somewhere..
    If its just NS2 that crashes but you can ctrl alt del / use the OS still... keep that ns2 window open and run techsupport.exe to make a dump file.

I realize you're just reporting it.. but if we can't reproduce it and or its got something to do with your hardware/software combo then we need you to capture it and diagnose it so that it can be solved for you and others experiencing it.
    Thanks

No BSOD, No Ctrl + Alt + Del, just freezes and I'm forced to manual restart.

I've asked other people in competitive if they've experienced and it's not just me. And it's happened to me at least once a day when I run NS2 and quit. If I use exit, occasionally I get a minor freeze and the screen goes black and then comes back before the game exits properly.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Locklear wrote: »
    IronHorse wrote: »

Thanks

No BSOD, No Ctrl + Alt + Del, just freezes and I'm forced to manual restart.

I've asked other people in competitive if they've experienced and it's not just me. And it's happened to me at least once a day when I run NS2 and quit. If I use exit, occasionally I get a minor freeze and the screen goes black and then comes back before the game exits properly.
    Sounds like an OC stability issue. Might want to try running some extended stress testing (e.g. 24hour double Prime95 or IntelBurnTest) to confirm the systems stable.
    edited May 2013
    I may have to turn off my OC? Oh boy, even better FPS!

(i ran stability tests before)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue

NS2 sometimes makes me think it is a better OC stresstest then Prime95 :P

Requires some OC tweaking, no need to turn it off!
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Kouji_San wrote: »

NS2 sometimes makes me think it is a better OC stresstest then Prime95 :P

Requires some OC tweaking, no need to turn it off!
    Yeah, no need to not OC. Just need to up the vcore a bit (as long as you are comfortable with that). Random PC freezing is a potential sign of a slightly unstable overclock.

And I know NS2 is a better OC stress test than P95 :)