Give marines backward sprinting/hopping ability

ZenuZenu Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72861Members, Reinforced - Shadow
Don't know if this has been tried before but I think marines could have ability to move faster backwards if they hold sprint button down without breaking the balance. They wouldn't be able to shoot while doing this however. Stamina cost would be same or more as in forward sprinting. What this would change is that we wouldn't see so much marines jumping in circles to get in to better positions and marines could maintain better situational awareness. Also this would be useful to keep eye on your squads back while moving fast, right now if you want to move fast and watch your back at same time you must do jumps in sprint and turn around midair to quickly check your back. This would also be less necessary. So marine jumping maneuvers would become a bit less necessary and marines could get better situational awareness.

Comments

• draktokdraktok Join Date: 2013-02-18 Member: 183156Members
    Yeesh it's already hard to bite bunny hopping rines bunny hopping backwards rines no thanks :( Even if you can't shoot, while doing it.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2013
    I doubt this would stop the "circlejump combat" as it in effect gives you an edge by disorientating the Skulk that is biting your kneecaps. Also you can shoot gun while going in circles, I dunno about you but I'd rather do the shooty thing then the running in straight lines thing when under attack :P
  • ZenuZenu Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72861Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    I doubt this would stop the "circlejump combat" as it in effect gives you an edge by disorientating the Skulk that is biting your kneecaps. Also you can shoot gun while going in circles, I dunno about you but I'd rather do the shooty thing then the running in straight lines thing when under attack :P

True, but I think this would be useful in situations where you are not directly attacked yet but you want to gain little distance to the threat without losing awareness of it for a split second and position yourself better for coming ambush :p.

• CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Turn, jump to the side, turn. Shoot. Maybe this could help, but I don't think it's very necessary.
  • Mc_IntireMc_Intire Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182745Members
    I do not see why marines need even more mobility for combatting skulks. Forcing them to backpedal slowly is pretty much the only fact keeping skulks in the early game right now. Until you can speed up with celerity and leap that is. Not to mention that this ability might have funny effects on combat with other lifeforms as well. I can envision marines tapping the sprint button between shotgun shots while battling fades... oh the fun.
    Mc_Intire wrote: »
    *snip*
    It's not propably worth to use it while fighting fades because there will be too much delay to firing.

I just think it would look better and feel better if you could move faster backwards with some penalties instead of the jumping maneuvers that we have to use now.
  • Mc_IntireMc_Intire Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182745Members
    So you want to make a change to gameplay that quite possibly has a large impact on balance justs to make the movement 'feel better'?

I mean you seem to have realized yourself how this could impact gameplay, since you thought up those countermeasures (btw, I am not convinced that being unable to shoot while running backwards would deterr marines from 'abusing' it).

Not that it sounds any more feasible than the current jumping affair, I mean look at it logically... running backwards, blindly (since looking at the aliens instead of where you are going while running away seems to be the point here). If this was aliens you would have stumbled over a pipe and the alien would be kneeling over your cadaver.
    draktok wrote: »
    Yeesh it's already hard to bite bunny hopping rines bunny hopping backwards rines no thanks :( Even if you can't shoot, while doing it.
    No sane marine is going to use this while skulk is biting his feet because you cant shoot at same time. So circle strafing+jumping+shooting will be untouched. I just think that marines could use ability to move few metres backwards faster than normal crawling speed to gain little bit of distance without the need to turn your eyes away from the battle or do fast turning jumping maneuvers. I don't see how this could be "abused".

• ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Cause this is what NS2 really needs:
  • reeqlreeql Join Date: 2013-05-05 Member: 185125Members
    NO, marines are already too agile anyway.