General consensus on the UI

nsguynsguy Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69869Members
The graphics in NS2 are amazing if your computer can handle them, but I think it's all ruined by the sloppy, sometimes unintuitive, unpolished UI. I'm wondering what the general consensus is on the UI, so what do you think of it?

Comments

• IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2013
    I wish it had a round timer on the hud, these things are important in strategy games and it also makes it easier for pub players to coordinate.

Here's an ns1 example.
    http://i.imgur.com/avIEtRY.jpg

And overall there is a lot of hidden values that keep new players in the dark, like how long it takes for res to tick, and pretty much everything regarding commanding.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    I do everything I can to remove as many of the unnecessary bits as possible.
    Some good mods out there to reduce the immersion level. MiniHud, Saunapack GUI, Koruyos GUI, cHud.

• DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    Game time is at the top of your TAB menu, as is Alien team res (although marine team res is always on screen).

Marine sprint has no visual indicator for cooldown which can be confusing.

Commander UI deadzones around the hotkeyed unit areas and MAC/drifter areas are also annoying when you try to place down buildings or medpacks and nothing happens.

The player UI are fine other than that IMO. The big energy bar for aliens was better in NS1 but it was really large and a bit garish. I can understand why they changed it.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited April 2013
    As a commander I can say that I don't have a problem with it, I'm sure it can be improved, but I'm not begging for it.

I DO however, HATE the current bug where if you select something, sometimes it stays highlighted/circled but isn't "selected" anymore, even though all it's options are on the button interface (eg deploy), they won't work, and you have to reselect them.

EDIT: This happens a LOT with drifters.
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    edited April 2013
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    I DO however, HATE the current bug where if you select something, sometimes it stays highlighted/circled but isn't "selected" anymore, even though all it's options are on the button interface (eg deploy), they won't work, and you have to reselect them.

EDIT: This happens a LOT with drifters.

That is the single biggest thing I hate about comming. I don't really mind the comm UI at all.. it's the bugs like that one that are annoying.

Other bugs include.... after selecting say a building, but then going off somewhere else to build an RT, it will not let me build the RT no matter how many times I try to click to put it down. I have to select something else like a powernode, then drop the RT. That is a HUGE annoying bug as well, probably bigger than the one Ghosthree mentioned.

Another really annoying one as alien, but doesnt' happen to often is if I'm playing around with a drifter, but then decide to press C to use the map to go somewhere else.... it will shoot me straight back to the drifter I was playing with... this will happen 3-4 times before it stops doing it.

Not having indicators for where power stops for each room is annoying as well.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    GUI is fine for me, once I added a custom crosshair.
  • deathmongerdeathmonger Join Date: 2012-07-06 Member: 153953Members
    The only thing I would change about the GUI is to make the energy circle turn red and flash at you at 25%. That's just because I'm an idiot and always seem to run out of energy at the worst times :)
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2013
    Biggest thing missing from the UI for me is the hive status indicators that aliens had in NS1.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I wish it had a round timer on the hud, these things are important in strategy games and it also makes it easier for pub players to coordinate.

Here's an ns1 example.
    http://i.imgur.com/avIEtRY.jpg

And overall there is a lot of hidden values that keep new players in the dark, like how long it takes for res to tick, and pretty much everything regarding commanding.

I think it is easy enough to just press 'Tab' to see the round timer. If it was on the HUD it is pointless infomation to be there all the time. You may only want to know the time every few minutes so it pretty much done perfect with it being with the scoreboard and not clustering the HUD with unneeded, non essential Infomation.
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited April 2013
    Res wrote: »
    Not having indicators for where power stops for each room is annoying as well.

there is an indicator for where the power stops. The power nodes emits a blue glow that radiate to the extent of the power. You might have to select the node to see it (i forget).

you can see the blue wave in this video propagate from the node.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I do agree on the alien hud icon for hives. I loves the green lil dots.

power nodes still need a audio warnin I think.

Anf as a comm I really really really hate selecting marines when I want to medpack them.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    ellnic wrote: »
    I think it is easy enough to just press 'Tab' to see the round timer. If it was on the HUD it is pointless infomation to be there all the time. You may only want to know the time every few minutes so it pretty much done perfect with it being with the scoreboard and not clustering the HUD with unneeded, non essential Infomation.

Match times is not pointless information, I'd rather not periodically press tab to see where the game should be going when I should be able to just glance at a timer.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    Tell your commander to set a "defend" waypoint to another marine for you. Good luck, you're going to need it.

PS. Waypoints obstruct so much of the view when they are supposedly there to help, if I'm shooting at aliens I don't need a "Build this power node" waypoint blocking a piece of my screen.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Way better than it was before, would still prefer more customization options.
  • Samus1111111Samus1111111 Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154930Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'd like to be able to move parts of the UI around the screen. I like having my health pretty much right in the middle since I'm an idiot and don't watch it in the corner.