Ripping Sound Effects

meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
Is there a way to get the sound effects from the game as regular audio files? I look in the game directory and just see this NS2.fdp file in the sounds directory, and I have no idea what to do with that :P
- yes, I've tried a few things like opening it in tugzip, and a few other programs but I'm guessing as NS2 has it's own engine the raw sound files are going to be compressed in some odd way or something? o__O

In case you're wondering why, it's because I want to use a couple of the marine taunts as SFX for my phone :)

Comments

• PaajtorPaajtor Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168634Members
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    Ripping indeed, check the ns1 source files they have the same marine voices.
  • DerAkademikerDerAkademiker Join Date: 2012-12-19 Member: 175540Members
    edited April 2013
    Using the FSB Extractor works with maybe 40% of the files. The .fsb format by Fmod isnt really meant to be extractable for everyone (Fmod is a third party sound engine that NS2 uses).
    Do what 1dominator1 suggested, download NS1 and check if you find the files there. They may be hidden in .pak files, but those ones are easily extracted.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Audacity + Stereo Mix
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Yeah, the FSB extractor did not even reveal anything that looked like the marine taunt files... In one of the FSBs I found a couple of what seemed like tests/prototypes of the "my shrink says i need an outlet for my aggression" phrase weird some weird effect applied to it... Ironically I want to use that phrase but in the form its in in NS2 >_<

I'll try poking around in the NS1 files later on, thanks for the suggestions :)