"Scan map" request for marines.

tharthar Join Date: 2012-12-26 Member: 176293Members, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
I know we already have "ping map" but it's usually used to gather the commander's attention and it's not that noticeable (is it just me or is it impossible to jump to a "ping map" request by pressing space?). Doing a "scan map" request would really clarify our expectations from the commander without the need to use the mic and say what do we expect after each "ping" request. It would be also really nice if it showed up on the right of the screen just like any other request.

Comments

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Don't see how this could hurt.
  • CowMeatCowMeat Join Date: 2013-03-02 Member: 183557Members
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
  • Reason85Reason85 Join Date: 2013-04-21 Member: 184928Members
    You know what thats a good suggestion. Makes sense, makes it easier on the comm, cant see the downside.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    Reason85 wrote: »
    You know what thats a good suggestion. Makes sense, makes it easier on the comm, cant see the downside.
    Im sure it has the same downside as the weld me command.
  • Reason85Reason85 Join Date: 2013-04-21 Member: 184928Members
    Reason85 wrote: »
    Im sure it has the same downside as the weld me command.

I guess the spamming of it would/will get annoying. People thinking they need a scan to enter a evey unknown area, and people not knowing how much scan costs/it costs res at all. Its amazing how some players dont understand anything about how essential parts of the game work, like you need 2 command chairs to get exos or jet packs. Just out of curiosity what is the downside of the weld me command? Did i name it or was it something diff?

• SparklePwnySparklePwny Join Date: 2013-05-23 Member: 185343Members
    Overall, I think this is a good suggestion, but I could see it being a little confusing from the standpoint of the commander.

Unlike med/ammo requests which center the comm's view on an individual marine, sometimes scans are better directed in front of or behind marines. When I am commanding, I don't usually place scans centered on a marine but rather where the marines are going so that they will have a little more forewarning of impending threats.

This demands some attentiveness on the part of the commander to know when and where to place optimal scans that will best serve the marines on the ground and cannot easily be conveyed with a simple "scan me" button.
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    Of course it can, it's like the medpack/ammo command.
    It's just a notification, it's to the commander to decide if he scan, and where he does it.