The Darwin Awards. NS2 Chapter

CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
edited April 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
Alrighty for those of you who don't know, the Darwin awards are given to people who remove themselves from the Gene pool in extremely stupid ways.

So, post your best self killing scenarios. Or the best ways people kill themselves without realizing it.

For me, I don't know how many times I've fended off a phase gate attack and then the last skulk runs up and detonates a mine on me that I placed... not cool.

Comments

• ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    I have a bad habit as a fade on refinery...... In lava falls, I like to jump across walkway spans over the lava and onto the other walkway so I don't have to go through the middle powernode/rt part of lava falls.... well sometimes I forget I don't have blink and I end up falling into the lava :x
  • oplusoplus Join Date: 2013-03-25 Member: 184422Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Res wrote: »
    I have a bad habit as a fade on refinery...... In lava falls, I like to jump across walkway spans over the lava and onto the other walkway so I don't have to go through the middle powernode/rt part of lava falls.... well sometimes I forget I don't have blink and I end up falling into the lava :x

LOL I love those "oh... shit." moments. Personally, I got terminally stuck and fell in a hole in mineshaft after patiently saving for my onos.

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2013
    Oh yes, refinery. As a skulk I used to try to be sneaky and walk carefully around the lava on the sides. Well sneaky skulk became dead skulk all too often. As a fade I don't try to get to tricky with the shadow steps and blinks on and around the walk way any more. I too often have lost a fade from just going that one meter too far.

The abyss in the gap is a great one. I have baited onos to charge to their death a few times there but not too often. As a skulk I like to hide under this little rock ledge and pop out for ambushes. I am not sure if they are trying to chase me or just get enough over the edge to snipe me, but marines will fall off.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Refinery is evil I'll agree, and summit's nasty that's for sure. But the real killer is Docking. That vent from central to landing pad, sheer drop. My first time playing I was gonna be all fast and sneaky and hit cafeteria from the back, and I had a guy following me. We came out of that thing full speed and, well, that was the last time he ever followed me anywhere.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    One time in mineshaft. I was skulk. A poor little gorgy ran in front of me through the vent between Sorting and Crusher. I'm sneaking behind him and thinking by me: "Gorge you better slow down there is..." *WHOOMP-SQUISH*
    I bet he knows now why the room is called Crusher.

I'm also a big fan of the Crevice, like Hugh. I can manage to fall down there in the stupidest ways when in combat.

Despite knowing this, I often try to jump on pipes beside the walkway in Lava Falls when chased by more than 1 skulk. I always hope they will miss-time their jumps and fall into the lava. Yeah. Guess what. Skulks are sticky to walls... marines not so much.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    Once as onos in summit, I was in Crossroads and tried to charge at a jetpacker. He was attempting to escape across the gap into Pipe Junction/Maintainance access area. I thought i would get him before he got to the gap, but didn't quite get there in time. I think I may have jumped or something, and either my momentum took me over the edge or I simply didn't withdraw my onos in time. Long story short, I charged into the bottomless pit while the marine who baited me got across to the other side.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I had a near miss as a fade at the crevice during a gather. We didn't yet have blink, I'd only JUST got my fade and while taking out a marine in crevice, I slightly popped over the railings.. "Noooo..." I managed to shadowstep to the flight control side of crevice where there's a little ledge (more by luck than judgement). I then patiently waited there for over a minute while blink was researched.

The underneath of landing pad is my worst problem for this. I like to pop under there as an escape route if I can't get into terminal/cafe safely. As a skulk, I almost ALWAYS miss the careful walk from the side of landing pad to the underneath of it. So annoying! Also as lerk there, it's great to fly underneath to wind up for a quick exit or to attack marines from another angle.. only the death zone is REALLY high up (this really should be lowered a bit, or some visual indicator of where it is tbh). A couple of times now I've just flown a little too low under there and BAM. Natural causes. :(
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Since no one has yet stated the obvious...

I guess this is why they call it Natural Selection.

*applauds*
  • TharosTharos Join Date: 2012-12-18 Member: 175439Members
    The first time my brother played on refinery he asked us if lave killed. In the conversation we didn't pay attention & he jump with is fade in lave falls :D

One time in crusher I tried to sneak in the vent but a skulk comes to bit me, I killed him but I lost too much time (he was blocking me) and I died crushed.
    Crusher again, just after the crusher was added I said to a friend "hey check the new thing in the vent!" he walked in with a gorge & died ^^

On cave I was shooting the hive from behind the waterfall and 2 skulks tried to kill me and jumped to their death. A lerk got me later.

Once I tried to evolve to gorge in landing pad to bile cafet or terminal. My egg fall through the floor :p
  • StrikerX3StrikerX3 Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168423Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2013
    I was playing one of those weird custom maps in the ENSL Custom Map Cup where there was lava pits all over the place (like all around the marine base). I was a Fade. This happened:

Therius wrote: »
    Since no one has yet stated the obvious...

I guess this is why they call it Natural Selection.

*applauds*

*ba-dum tshh*
  • statikgstatikg Join Date: 2012-09-19 Member: 159978Members
    edited April 2013
    Lol I have also fallen prey to the shadowstep only fall in the lava at lavafalls scenario. Sooo satisfying for the marine considernig he was purposely baiting me into doing that by standing on the edge bit on the south platform haha.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I was running through a vent in Docking and didn't realize it was the one that opened up over a large pit in that room between Terminal and Cafeteria (blanking on its name because things so rarely happen there). Unfortunately, I was also in alien vision at the time, so I didn't realize that all of that green under me wasn't the floor, but instead a massive drop.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I suck a lot more without alien view so I have it on a lot.
    So basicly any lava pit has killed my skulk or fade at least once.

Also I often forget a window has glass in alien view so I get splattered by bullets while I try to figure out why I can not get passed it. hahaha
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Getting killed by CC doors when commander logs out to kill you.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Windows have caused me much greif as well, Observation on Descent has a little glass pane right at skulk-biting-rt level. I unloaded on it and then realized my mistake. Not before the skulk made lunch out of me though.
  • wulfwulf Join Date: 2008-08-03 Member: 64749Members
    I wish I had this on demo, I lost my shit laughing when this happened.

A month or so after release, I was lone wolfing it into refinery and killed 2 skulks at the very beginning of mid-game. Out of the blue comes a fade and I get pretty anxious and know I'm screwed so I hopelessly shoot and try to dodge. Well, turns out the fade held down strafe as he was shift blinking towards me and he ice skated off sideways right into the lava and died. Many laughs were had
  • BobRossTheBossBobRossTheBoss Join Date: 2012-12-31 Member: 176824Members
    Flying into the lava falls (not the pit) in lava falls while checking my map as a lerk.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Like most users, Lava Falls was the bane of my existence as a fade.

Another not-so-embarrassing but equally funny event:
    When your mouse wheel decides to scroll causing you to switch to parasite right as you engage a marine. lol. Always da bes.
  • SolidSpiderSolidSpider Join Date: 2013-04-14 Member: 184805Members
    edited April 2013
    *wrong thread how do i delete post ermagerd help me*
  • ChrisAUSChrisAUS Join Date: 2012-11-17 Member: 172108Members
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    *wrong thread how do i delete post ermagerd help me*

=))
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    one suicide, one near miss, and a near miss that i saw. onos, gorge tunnel and gorge tunnel exit in cave on mineshaft... took the exit a bit too fast and flew over the side into that bottomless gorge that nobody actually dies to. lerking, when descent was still pretty new... the gap... was going to try and perch on the ceiling, flew up and up, then realized i was taking damage, panicked the hell out and barely escaped with 10 health. fatal airspace yay. guy on my team on summit, went fade... somehow fell off the side of crevice but somehow managed to survive on one of those mysterious standable elements on the cliff face... he literally had to stand there for the 5 minutes it took our comm to finish researching blink.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    ooh a good one,.hopped out of chair.to save a phase gate, cleaned up the skulks around it, but lost the gate, suicide myself for.the nifty teleport and get autobalanced, leaving me to look on helpless as I can no longer beacon to the second tech point which goes down... I think I singlehandedly lost that game.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Hopping into a gorge tunnel, thinking I'm so clever, only to run into a dead end with a skulk biting my behind. :)
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    I was in a ENSL gather, I was gorging it up in Nanogrid (double) on the Veil map. Marines had just arced the crap out of nanogrid so there's practically nothing left of any value there. The marines are outside nano grid with a phase gate and my commander says "Okay gorge, there's nothing left in there, hit them with your bile bomb". So I leap over the clog wall (the last remaining bit of alien structure standing), belly slide down the hall to where the phase gate is and jump right in the middle of 5 angry marines.

Guess how 1 gorge vs 5 marines does. I was supposed to bile bomb from a safe distance, but something went wrong in my brain processes.
  • StoneburgStoneburg Join Date: 2002-11-11 Member: 8174Members
    Flying into the lava falls (not the pit) in lava falls while checking my map as a lerk.
    +1
  • StoneburgStoneburg Join Date: 2002-11-11 Member: 8174Members
    My proudest moment so far:

It's a very close game on summit and our 2:nd hive in Data Core is getting attacked by almost the full marine team. I've just reached 50 res while biting a node in Flight contro, and we have no lifeforms to defend the hive with. So even though I'm not a very good fade I decide to evolve to try to help the team push the marines out. I run over to Summit reception and evolve there since it is infested, so I can get misted. Since I'm a communicative player I yell "I'm going fade to help defend the hive, will be done in a few seconds!". I pop out of the egg and try got get as fast as possible to Data core, proceeding to shadowstep right over the railings in Crossroads and plunge to my death within 3 seconds of evolving. Half a minute later someone says something along the line of "Where is the fade?!". My reply was uncharacteristically short: "I died". 50 res not well spent.

Runner up:
    On Refinery I was doing pretty well as a lerk and the Marine team didn't seem to have any awesome players on it. I was at something like 24-3 and felt like I was playing great. When I finally died I had enough to go fade and try it our again (I normally just play skulk, gorge or lerk). I get over to lava falls and encounter two marines, who at this time have no shotguns or serious upgrades, and aren't very good players. I've probably killed these two as lerk 4 times each already. I take *one* down and then just keel over and die to the second one, just getting one swipe in. At least that took care of any potential hackusations.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited April 2013
    Best moments are at the map containing crusher, when the team starts at Sorting and many skulks are rushing in the beginning to crawl through Crusher to get to Cavern or Central, and one or two often get crushed, followed by laughter from the team.
  • skedarskedar Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184569Members
    edited April 2013
    I was playing as a Marine, I went to Locker Room just after there was a fight in there against a few Skulks, one of which survived and went away to hide. I crouch, I start to take out a cyst with my axe, when I notice that I just unknowingly killed a Skulk in the process. It turns out that the Skulk which fled from combat earlier had only 3 HP left, he came back and tried to surprise me, but he jumped from the ceiling into my axe and died.