Refinery turbine command station annoying sound

FuleFule Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67683Members
edited June 2013 in Technical Support
So this turbine sound in turbine on refinery map is pretty annoying when you're in a command station there. That sound is cutting in my left ear and probably could cause headaches and rage. Can this be fixed, please?

Comments

• MelancorMelancor Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24415Members
    What? I can't hear you!
  • mibuwolfmibuwolf Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174760Members
    I'm not sure if I know what you mean. I guess I haven't noticed it.
  • hozzhozz Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172660Members
    Yes!
    You hear that pulsing sound ALL THE TIME when commanding. Everywhere, all over the map.
    I had to switch my headphones to mono, because that sound in the left ear is literally painful in stereo mode. I'm not joking.
    That sound needs to go.
    The end.
    Really :)
    UWE, remove it asap, please!
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    just make the sound not play for commanders.
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    I thought it was some unintended bug, I would get it just joining the map in RR, sometimes I had to go over to the west side of the map before it would start and never stop, half the time I would reconnect it would be gone only to start up randomly later.

It's precisely why I hate ambient noises in multiplayer FPS, they have no real place and just cause looping/trigger problems for people.
  • frantixfrantix Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184063Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I had this problem also on other maps with different sound effects. You hear them all the time while commanding. Really annoying.
  • ruprechtruprecht Join Date: 2013-03-16 Member: 184022Members
    can hear it without being a comm. truly annoying.
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    It is a known bug. I was playing BT mod earlier in refinery where Sewlek mentioned that it was unintentional when everyone started complaining.
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    That sound is not that loud on my system... I guess I just don't play with my sound up enough.
  • snailerisnaileri Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165480Members
    This bug is still around. Can they fix this or do I have to continue to skip every match in Refinery? The map surely is unplayable for me because of this.
    edited May 2013
    This doesn't only happen to commanders. When you play on foot you also hear the sound constantly.

Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    For me that sound is ALWAYS there, no matter where I am on the map, and it's always "coming from the left". It's SOOO annoying. Makes the map even worse than it already is to the point I really am begging for a map change.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    WAAAGH. WAAAGH. WAAAAGH. WAAAGH. 'Commander we need a-" WAAAAGH. "- and moving forward. Got it?"
  • snailerisnaileri Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165480Members
    The bug still exists in v248
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Ghosthree3 posted a nice video of the sound in question:

To be frank, its more like white noise than an annoying sound to me (living in the city has gotten me accustomed to filtering out such noise). Though, I'm curious if the issue is related to the quality of the speaker/headset. My headset has poor bass response so it may be cutting out much of the annoyance of the sound. Can people who have this issue post the speaker/headset they use?
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited June 2013
    Using 7.1 surround sound headphones, if you don't notice it it's fine, but once you realise, CANNOT UN HEAR. Seriously, I'm not kidding when I said I mute the whole game while playing refinery.

Turning off the dolby surround I can still hear it (also 2.0 sound sounds so weird now..), so that's not the issue.
  • BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    Since players can't delete the sound without getting hit with consistency checks, perhaps the simplest immediate solution would be for the devs to remove it for us. ;)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    BentRing wrote: »
    Since players can't delete the sound without getting hit with consistency checks, perhaps the simplest immediate solution would be for the devs to remove it for us. ;)
    Imagine this though.

What if there is no sound entity causing this, cause that is what it looks like :-O
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    What if there is no sound entity causing this

the ghost in the machinery
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    edited June 2013
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2013
    *Moved to technical support*
    It is known and being worked on.
    Thanks for the video @ghosthree3
  • BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    edited June 2013
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    BentRing wrote: »
    Imagine this though.

What if there is no sound entity causing this, cause that is what it looks like :-O

O.o I wasn't aware of that.

And speaking of refinery, when you free roam there's the usual ready room floating out in the aether, but in a different direction there's another room floating about. Was this a temporary RR in the past or something?
    edited June 2013
    It is the same sound that is used on Descent, in Fabrication, for the circular machinery/cool looking thing that comprises the south wall of the room (upper level, behind the RT). You can only hear it close to it.

I first was shocked the bug had moved from Refinery to Descent, but it's just a regular sound working as intended.

WRRR...WRRR...WRRR...WRRR...WRRR... (repeat pulse for 15 minutes until deaf)