What I missed a bit watching the finals

cryptcrypt Join Date: 2004-04-22 Member: 28091Members, Constellation
I think I never saw the lights go off in a room because a power-node got destroyed. Not saying I want to see it all the time happen, but #I feel like it's a cool feature completly unused.

I think there are simple fixes just to increase the rate of it happening without aliens loosing more time to chumping static objects, e.g.:
- give a node %-damage if a nearby rt gets destroyed or
- giving it damage over time if it's surrounded by matured infestation.

What do you think?

Comments

• SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2013
    I like the idea of flickering the lights map-wide if an important power node is under attack (ie, a node with a CC on a Tech Point). But, it has been said before that NS2 is not meant to be a horror-like game.
  • dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    @Squishpoke, Modssss :)

It does work kinda well, about three have been made (hidden, the one with shadows and abandoned). Basic game however, you are correct.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    If the lights stayed out longer after destroying a node, taking it out for that sole reason might be more worthwile. Currently it feels like you have 15-20 seconds of darkness before everything brightens up again, which is not really long enough to provide any significant combat advantage by the time marines get there again.
  • ChizzlerChizzler Join Date: 2013-01-04 Member: 177532Members
    CrushaK wrote: »
    ...Currently it feels like you have 15-20 seconds of darkness before everything brightens up again, which is not really long enough to provide any significant combat advantage by the time marines get there again.

Chew on the Power until it's a bite or 2 from going down, wait for marines to come in and then finish it off. Dinner is served.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited April 2013
    Power nodes have always been a pretty lacklustre mechanic. Sure the darkness is cool and all but they really don't affect gameplay in a positive way overall (with how cumbersome it is to build power in every room, then rebuild it and run the risk of losing everything to a single node rush) Wish they'd rework it.

Would for example be cool if power was (very) slowly eaten at by infestation, cuts the cumbersome task for aliens to chew on it at least.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited April 2013
    the problem is that RT costs resources to replace in addition to the downtime, ergo always the favourable choice. power nodes are usually a waste of time to destroy, because you could arguably spend that time on actual invested resources.

however, as attacking the RT's usually leaves the aliens less vulnerable than power nodes (vision and cover is usually very poor when attacking power nodes), i think a tres cost could be applied to repairing power nodes and that may be sufficient to make them both viable targets during harrassment. i guess you could increase the repair time to the same effect, but then we would have to argue whether or not it's fun to hold E while looking at a power node for another minute or so :P

the remaining problem is that phase gate will always be the priority. each alien attacking a phase gate gets 1-2 free attacks onto any marine phasing through; this is inarguably better than attacking the power node unless you can't reach the phase gate. my point being that it's very difficult to make people turn the lights out in an 'action centre' room, because the power node has literally no resource expense (i.e. power node is either extreme; a game-ender or a pointless distraction).
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think power nodes should be removed entirely.
  • mibuwolfmibuwolf Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174760Members
    Jekt wrote: »
    I think power nodes should be removed entirely.

I would be okay with it if something still affected the lights. I really don't think lights should be on in any alien base and any area that aliens have dominated/taken control of.

• SoundFXSoundFX Join Date: 2003-08-21 Member: 20048Members
    crypt wrote: »
    I think I never saw the lights go off in a room because a power-node got destroyed. Not saying I want to see it all the time happen, but #I feel like it's a cool feature completly unused.

I think there are simple fixes just to increase the rate of it happening without aliens loosing more time to chumping static objects, e.g.:
    - give a node %-damage if a nearby rt gets destroyed or
    - giving it damage over time if it's surrounded by matured infestation.

What do you think?

The reason you don't see power nodes getting killed is because in a small game is the time required to kill it is astronomical with all things considered. Aside from that there is really no reason to kill it save for a marine base.

I do agree however that the power node feature should definitely be revisited.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I like the idea of making them light switches only. With very low health, they would be fast to destroy and fast to repair. (5-8 seconds) This way they are battlefield modification and would get more often used as such. It removes some tedious tasks.

Only downside would be a probable increase in marine turtles. Also extractor build times may be in need of tweaking than.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Squishpoke wrote: »
    I like the idea of flickering the lights map-wide if an important power node is under attack (ie, a node with a CC on a Tech Point). But, it has been said before that NS2 is not meant to be a horror-like game.

It just makes it that much more dramatic though dont you think?

• culpritculprit Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33527Members, Constellation
    Just have the res nodes control the power in a room. If the marines cap it, then the room has the lights on. If the aliens take down the res node, the lights go out. Add a on-dmg flicker when a res node is being attacked for a nice atmospheric effect.

This would work well for a NS classic mod.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    culprit wrote: »
    Just have the res nodes control the power in a room. If the marines cap it, then the room has the lights on. If the aliens take down the res node, the lights go out. Add a on-dmg flicker when a res node is being attacked for a nice atmospheric effect.

This would work well for a NS classic mod.

Not every room has an RT. Rooms with 2 RTs are more valuable yet would be easier to hold for marines.

I think if infestation gets to an unbuilt or destroyed Power Node, the khammander should be able to drop an infested structure on it. Then he should be able to use that structure to disable the room's emergency light for pure blackness whenever he pleases (but it should be on ~3 minutes cooldown and with a small res cost, so it can't be spammed. Lore reason could be that the infestation digs into the circuits and thus gets fried and it takes it a few minutes to recover). Marines can destroy the structure (it shouldn't have all that much HP) to take that control away and to rebuild the power.

Alternatively, the structure could just be a passive one that causes the red emergency lighting to fade to blackness in regular intervals. Basically a slowly pulsing flicker that gives aliens brief periods of time to move in darkness before the emergency lighting goes back on. Marines can enable the constant red light again by killing the infested structure on the Power Node socket.