New veteran server option

BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members
edited April 2013 in Ideas and Suggestions
We have rookie and non-rookie servers.

How about giving servers the option to make them veteran? Make them a blue/red colour or something.

Perhaps one would require over a certain number of hours: 250, for example.

I try my best to join non-rookie servers, but they're sometimes replete with people who've between 20 and 50 hours. It'd be nice to play with people with more equivalent skill, without having to resort to gathers etc.

There are hundreds of servers and I imagine only a small percentage would take this feature, so how about it?

Comments

• ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited April 2013
    I think the solution to this is their organized play system in the future, however I'm fine with the idea of only allowing players with x amount of hours to join. Even though hours don't really represent skill because someone can destroy you only having 50 hours. But it does represent experience with the game itself, so all players should have an understanding of how to play and it should provide better matches then most of the public things we require.

I'd join gathers but teamspeak is a requirement, as obnoxious as that sounds the last thing I want is another voIP program. As of now mumble is the superior with least delay, even then you can play this game without voIP cause you can talk alive or dead, and the voice quality is fine. I hate requirements such as that
  • BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members
    But don't you have to play at a specific time with the organised play? What about guys who might just want the flexibility of a normal server but just with people a lot more skillful and knowledgeable about the game. I know hours don't mean skill but on average they're heavily correlated.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    THIS is why a gather-type feature needs to be implemented in game. And display everyone's hours of play next to their name :P
  • SanCoSanCo Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155744Members
    I don't have high hopes for the organized play system, wouldn't suprise me if you get to wait in a fucking queue. I hope it's optional.
  • GreenFlameGreenFlame Join Date: 2011-03-17 Member: 86860Members
    I support the idea, but maybe instead of the time requirement show a notification(saying that the server is for players who know how to play the game really well and it's not recommended for newcomers or those who don't know the game really deep or something like that), that may work nicely =)
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    THIS is why a gather-type feature needs to be implemented in game. And display everyone's hours of play next to their name :P
    www.ensl.org
  • Metal HandkerchiefMetal Handkerchief Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168697Members
    I support the idea, though 150 hours is closer to where a player gets to their peak performance.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    150 hours to hit peak? Yeah, no.
  • Metal HandkerchiefMetal Handkerchief Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168697Members
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »

Well, I guess it varies with aptitude.

All I know is, 150 hours is when I started consistently going 29-0 or better and that hasn't changed.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that I am extremely specialized, having probably put 95% of my playtime exclusively into Lerking.
  • EgoGamerEgoGamer Join Date: 2012-06-21 Member: 153536Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Might be an idea to include a vouch system. A bunch of players a pre-approved by the server operator, (e.g. most if not all competitive teams), and each approved player can grant access to other like-minded players at his own discretion.

Only problem is that it may create animosity between those invited and those left out.
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    I support the idea in general, but I think it should work in the same way rookie servers work, simply a social thing. This would have the issue of people telling rookies and decent but not quite veteran players to gtfo which would be bad. Again, I think it should still work like rookie servers, so we end up with more veteran players on those servers, but not necessarily 100%, still help out the less skilled players if they actually join, just politely inform them that this skill level may be a bit above what they're ready for. Or password it, that works too.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter

All I know is, 150 hours is when I started consistently going 29-0 or better and that hasn't changed.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that I am extremely specialized, having probably put 95% of my playtime exclusively into Lerking.
    If you care about K/D, you are still a noob.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Half true, a good K/D helps your team win, sometimes K/D is best sacrificed for the good of the game though.
  • ezayezay Join Date: 2013-03-11 Member: 183899Members
    If you filter servers without rookies ones, you already have less than 20 servers available. Gather the community, don't split it up.
    xen32 wrote: »

If you care about K/D, you are still a noob.

If you are still trying to find reasons to call people a noob, you're a scrub.

As for "caring" about K/D, I don't really, but you can't legitimately claim that any Lerk that is involved in major offense and defense throughout an entire game without dying can be bad. Simply play intelligently, and there is no reason to die... Of course, there are rare times when you have to take risks because you just don't have the time in a team stall or pushback to heal up. In those cases, dying is more than an acceptable risk, and also those situations tend to arise when I have more than enough res to re-lerk immediately anyway.
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    edited April 2013
    I gues you could make a mod, that counts the hours spend tracked by steam, and kicks anyoen below x-time. But i think thats alot of work, and might vary well result in a empty server.