Win/Loss Conditions

CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
Alright, here's an idea I'm throwing out there for people to mull over.

What if there was a more incremental team objective system?

Rather than the current overarching "Destroy the enemy Hive/Command Station," the objectives were broken down a little bit.

Something like as soon as you start the round "Secure resources." Then once your team has 2 or 3 extractors up and running it switches to "Secure a second Tech Point." Followed by "Secure a third tech point" or "Destroy the Enemy hive."

I'm actually not sure what effect this will have on gameplay (if any) unless it was an actual "objective" required to win. I'll go ahead and state that such a system would be horrible and would reduce all games to one track gameplay and strategies (read not fun). But it might provide some semblance of strategy in pubs where no one knows what they're doing.

It could be argued that such messages would be helpful to rookies who don't pay attention to their comm, or if the comm isn't talking. But in both of those cases a better message to blare across the screen is "Hit alt to talk! It helps, seriously!"

Perhaps if such messages were broadcast only to the commander of each team? But the comms usually already know this stuff and more messages cluttering the UI isn't a good thing. How about rookie comms?

Thoughts?

Comments

• BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members
    Maybe on a super rookie server that might help.

But videogames above all are about freedom. It's why we prefer them to movies - we control what happens (to an extent).

I want to be able to instantly drop that second hive. I want to be able to go heavy capping extractors. I want the choice.