Advanced Lerk breakdown w/Bitey!

BiteyBitey Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151622Members, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
Hey guys, I made a short video on the more advanced aspects of being a good lerk. Even uncovered some of the secret advanced movement techniques to be utilized, so take a look and learn it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks_rVOWBFwc

Comments

• ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited April 2013
    oh god default vision and low fov, you must unleash your true potential and change your ways

edit: also to add, I always tend after a bite to fly upward and then quickly in a downward circle, it gets me another bite and makes the rine lose tracking (as tracking above is the hardest) lerk is my fav :p

edit2: It's also good to learn all vent/window locations and etc to your advantage, you can use them as escapes (or fake escapes) to leave a fight / or come back to finish off the rine, really great when your team comes through.

on that note, good video you may want to edit these type of things in the future though to get to all the points
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    edited April 2013
    I feel like you didn't really cover the liftoff mechanic that well so I'll try to cover it here!

Lerk's base speed is 11. if you glide downwards, you will eventually reach 11 and stay there. if you glide upwards, you lose speed. it takes two flaps to get back to 11 speed at any time in mid-air. when you're on the floor as a Lerk, you get this same flap force in addition to a jump of some sorts that I think of as a "liftoff". this mini-jump adds 1.6 speed to your flight, bringing you to 12.6 as you lift off from the ground, and the same rules are applied. you still tick back down to 11, even if you're gliding downward. for a frame of reference: Celerity Lerk is 13 speed, and by extension, a Celerity Lerk using the liftoff mechanic would reach 14.6. so it's very useful to abuse this mid-combat to land and take off, around corners and such.

nice work Bitey, it's good to see players like you and Eissfeldt opening up their POV to shed some more light on competitive play.
  • statikgstatikg Join Date: 2012-09-19 Member: 159978Members
    Thanks for your work bitey, if you were making another video I would appreciate it if you could talk a little bit about energy management (inc when to flap and when not to flap) and positioning of a lerk in competitive play.
  • joederpjoederp Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165992Members
    Thanks for this video, and your other fade video, its exactly what I was asking for in my thread a few days back.

Although it seems that the key difference between you and me as lerk is that you have near perfect aim, it literally would do you no good to have an aimbot lol. Your aim is so flawless it does look like an aimbot would. I realize you do not use an aimbot, so don't confuse what I am saying here - simply that learning techniques and lerk flight control is one thing - but I may never be able to achieve that kind of accuracy, no matter how much practice.