Natural Selection 2 Build 244: 'Electric'

124»

Comments

• AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
  • MetroMetro Join Date: 2007-09-15 Member: 62316Members
    Ever since I first saw the concept for that Taser in the alpha stages I said it was a great idea! YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO!

25% more Gorge <3
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    And not a word in the damned patchnotes about apple trees.
    Disgusting
  • GorginatorGorginator Join Date: 2010-07-03 Member: 72241Members
    Evil_bOb1 wrote: »
    I would like to see the taser as a weapon of its own with its own perks too. That Low area damage sparking around would be great against babblers. Perfect also for powering sneaky structures in unpowered zones or saving the situation when power goes down.

That's a neat idea (Tazer being able to temporarily power a structure). Definitely should be in NS2 IMO. It's a fun idea.
    Metro wrote: »
    Ever since I first saw the concept for that Taser in the alpha stages I said it was a great idea! YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO!

Agreed.

Now, the reason why the Tazer got the cut was because it was supposed to replace the Pistol and the Knife. The community reaction was understandable (since pistols need to be in every FPS!). However, the tazer could be brought back as a purchasable weapon (so players have an option of switching their pistol for the tazer, for example).

Also the concept makes it really fun.

The important part of any game (and retaining players) is how many fun things you can do in the game (that, and maybe some sort of "carrot on the stick" incentive, like hats in TF2).

The secondary fire for the pistol (laser sight that does slightly more damage at the cost of speed) and the tazer should be brought back IMO. And for the alien side, I do think gorges should be able to build the NS1 chambers (I know they imported the sensory chamber to NS2, they could do the same with the other chambers then?) that also may help contribute to tech for the alien team.

One of the biggest things I miss from NS1 is the ability for gorges, or more specifically the ability for any player to contribute to tech (instead of just 1 player making all the decisions, as a random player, you could just go gorge and help out the team with tech). (This is in NS1 2.0 and beyond, when they encouraged multiple gorges on a team).

I like in the balance mod that alien upgrades have levels again. (One thing I do dislike and do not really understand from the balance mod is that drifters and macs can't attack anymore... personally I think they should still be able to attack, even if it's useless most of the time. Being able to order players around is one thing but being able to also build units you can control like the mac and drifter is a thing I really like in NS2, and they should be able to still attack IMO.)
  • MetroMetro Join Date: 2007-09-15 Member: 62316Members
    edited April 2013
    Gorginator wrote: »

The important part of any game (and retaining players) is how many fun things you can do in the game (that, and maybe some sort of "carrot on the stick" incentive, like hats in TF2).

Yes. This.
    A game is all about how much you can "screw around" in it. Wether that is by silly cosmetic things or through experimenting with ridiculous tactics - Such as building a whole bunch of Defense-Chambers just to survive in some random vent-pipe somewhere when the marines wipe your hives' out and then managing to hold out long enough to spawn another hive. As unlikely as this scenario was to ever succeed, it's still something very entertaining to have. Though, sometimes things like these can unecessarily prolong gameplay so it is a difficult balance to strike. I never remember being frustrated about hiding aliens in NS1 though.

I, too, miss the ability for the gorge to affect the tech level. It made for a more asymmetric and interesting gameplay. That's not to say NS2's way of doing it is bad - It's just not quite as dynamic.

I did forget the Tazer being removed because it was to replace something. I think it'd make a fine extra addition as a purchasable weapon though, as you said. As a replacement for the secondary weapon when you buy it. Just as the other weapons are for the primary weapon.