Post your sensitivities. (calculator inside)

current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
Been asking a few comp players and most are within roughly the same sensitivity range +- 5 cm, but not everyone. Some are considerably higher and some lower. So im just curious, using the calculator in the link below what is yours?

http://www.funender.com/quake/mouse/index.html

Aliens - 7.29cm
Marines- 10.9cm

Comments

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Let's use a calculator that uses a different game for the "sensitivity" variable yay...

My DPI is 2400, in game sens is currently 1.5 but I change it all the time, about 3 months ago it was about 4-5. Since then I've tried a lot of sensitivities in between as well.
  • FLuXFLuX Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11633Members, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    Apparently I'm 7.4cm (both teams, Current1y you DPI switching weirdo pants. :3)
  • pearlykpearlyk Join Date: 2013-01-19 Member: 180732Members
    edited March 2013
    according to the calc, 23cm/360 for both sides.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    Don't use the calculator, it's for the quake engine. :P

Grab a ruler and actually measure how many centimeters it takes to turn 360 degrees. In my case, I happen to have 26cm/360 for NS2. Which is quite low (sensitivity-wise) from other games.
  • ColtColtColtColt Join Date: 2012-06-27 Member: 153707Members
    I'm far too lazy to calculate all that. But I definitely use sensitivity in the obscenely high ranges; I move my mouse a grand total of maybe an inch left or right, total. A 360 turn is a few centimeters of movement.

1998. Logitech "Standard" Ball Mouse. White.

-Colt
  • OutlawDrOutlawDr Join Date: 2009-06-21 Member: 67887Members
    Squishpoke wrote: »

Grab a ruler and actually measure how many centimeters it takes to turn 360 degrees. In my case, I happen to have 26cm/360 for NS2. Which is quite low from other games.

This is really the only the way to do it. The ruler doesn't lie and this method can apply to any game. Too many variables to try it any other way.

I have my in-game sensitivity as low as possible but jacked up my mouse's DPI setting to compensate. It gives me the smoothest mouse movement for NS2. I have different settings for skulk (2400) and marine (1600). I use 800 for most other FPS games (but it depends on the game). NS2 requires a lot more 180s and 360s during a fight, so I found myself needing to up the DPI a bit.
  • FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members

Grab a ruler and actually measure how many centimeters it takes to turn 360 degrees. In my case, I happen to have 26cm/360 for NS2. Which is quite low from other games.
    You take almost a full foot to do a 360?

I think it takes me an inch and a half, or two inches.
    I don't care enough to find a ruler and measure it.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow

Remember a 360 is a complete spin, a 180 is behind ya. In most twitch-based games I go between 5-7 inches, since it's mostly snap, fire, and forget (RL, SG, RG, and LG if I slow them down first). But in NS2, I found that a lower sensitivity just gives me those extra bullets I need to trace a bouncing skulk with an LMG, while still allowing me comfortably twitch with the shotgun as needed.
  • JuCCiJuCCi Join Date: 2011-08-08 Member: 114961Members, NS2 Map Tester
    ColtColt wrote: »

1998. Logitech "Standard" Ball Mouse. White.

-Colt

I just had to quote this part :)

Remember a 360 is a complete spin, a 180 is behind ya. In most twitch-based games I go between 5-7 inches, since it's mostly snap, fire, and forget (RL, SG, RG, and LG if I slow them down first). But in NS2, I found that a lower sensitivity just gives me those extra bullets I need to trace a bouncing skulk with an LMG, while still allowing me comfortably twitch with the shotgun as needed.
    I know what a 360 is.

I just prefer less hand movement when gaming.

Keep in mind that I am a marathon gamer.
    When I game, I game for 5-14 hours in a sitting(Barring bathroom breaks).

• invTempestinvTempest Join Date: 2003-03-02 Member: 14223Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Actually measuring with a ruler I get 16 cm / 360.

3200 DPI with 1.7 game sensitivity.

I know what a 360 is.

I just prefer less hand movement when gaming.

Keep in mind that I am a marathon gamer.
    When I game, I game for 5-14 hours in a sitting(Barring bathroom breaks).

Yeah, I get 180/360 confused a lot so I was just helping myself distinguish the two. Recently I had a thought that anything more than 180 degrees meant that I was "going the long way," so I lowered the sensitivity to see if I can train myself to be more efficient with mouse movement. I think it's helping, but I won't be able to tell for sure until I play for a few more hours.
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter

Quite common in competitive FPS's. In TF2, 11" is the average NA scout sensitivity. 8" for soldier.

Probably around 8-14" for CS.
    I find at lower sensitivities I can't react to skulks in close quarters.
    Lower sensitivity does help with pistol/SMG sniping though.
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter

it helps in all aspects of aiming. tracking and flick (ie rifle/shotgun)

NS2 is a weird game in that you want a highish sensitivity for aliens, but low for marine. luckily aliens don't require muscle memory, so you can freely change sensitivities with practically no consequence.
  • nezznezz Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174712Members
    DPI: 1800
    IG Sens: .5

360/cm: 46cm ^_^ basically i need a xxl mousepad and then some.
    nezz wrote: »
    DPI: 1800
    IG Sens: .5

360/cm: 46cm ^_^ basically i need a xxl mousepad and then some.

You are one of those wizards who aim with their arms. Man, my arms are getting tired just thinking about it.
    edited March 2013

it helps in all aspects of aiming. tracking and flick (ie rifle/shotgun)

NS2 is a weird game in that you want a highish sensitivity for aliens, but low for marine. luckily aliens don't require muscle memory, so you can freely change sensitivities with practically no consequence.
    I know that lower sensitivities are better for aiming in general, but with a low sensitivity, unless I move my mouse large distances, I can't cover the same area as I can with a higher one.

I try to move my mouse as little as possible, so as to prevent fatigue.

Edit:
    It's a habit I got into from playing RtCW competitively.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited March 2013
    To make this simple

dpi: 400
    polling: 1000
    in-game (counter-strike based): 1.7
    Basically I have my sensitivity so I can do a 180 plus a little bit more with an entire sweep

ns2 sens (guess) 2.0-2.2
    mousepad is about 18 inches
    res 1920x1080

I actually use to have a chart of what all the pro cs players were using, more than 90% of them were at 400 dpi, the range was 250-800 and the common res was 800x600, not just because that's what they're use to, but because it's easier to land headshots in counter-strike on lower resolutions (even though it has no correlation on hitboxes) the benefits really are just that there's less for your eyes to focus on, it takes a shorter amount of time to swipe across the screen, and heads look bigger at further distances. Also I'm not really sure about the headshot thing but from personal testing I became a maniac when playing on 8x6 compared to native. Only noticed this on counter-strike based games