What is the consensus now on Shade Hive?

13»

Comments

• amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    silence is the most aggravating thing as a marine, against good skulks at least, and adrenaline is a godsend for skulks and leap.
  • FirebreathingmaniacFirebreathingmaniac Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184057Members
    I just had an idea what if we combined silence and camo like in swelek's balance mod. Then we would add in an ability like feign death or create a new one called stealth that makes you invisible to long range scans but not the observatories.
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    eliotmat wrote: »
    Not a fan of shade hive abilities.

Sure, silence is great, but the overall suite of shade abilities seems weak. As the game progresses, shade abilities experience rapidly diminishing returns.

I agree with several other comments that reinstating passive radar (aka scent of fear, aka aura) would be appropriate.

I'm in agreement with this.

I love playing with Silence first, but shade hive abilities are terrible compared to say shift first. Being able to do a early game forward shift spawn is too good to pass up early game.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2013
    Cuel wrote: »
    Kamamura wrote: »
    I saw it in a competitive game as a first hive choice and the team won.

If we're talking about the same match, that was All-In IIRC who went camoflague since they knew that the opponents did not normally get an observatory instantly. They went camo early, went up to the marine base on Veil, ignoring the rines on the way and when they reached the CC the comm had just jumped out of the chair to build the observatory. They killed the comm and took down the CC so the game was over in ~2 minutes. If they had gotten there later when the obs was built and the commander was in the chair, it would likely have turned out differently. It was gambling, either win by rushing the CC or have a huge increased chance of losing later on. A tactic that you will likely not see in pub games.

hahaha, I remember that match. The casters were like, "what in the world is All-In doing? Shade Hive is not a very viable strateg- OH WAIT THERE'S NO OBS!"
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Silence was fine on lerks until they added tracers to be honest, now I don't see why you would bother. Celerity and Carapace will give you a much bigger bang for your buck.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    Xarius wrote: »
    Silence was fine on lerks until they added tracers to be honest, now I don't see why you would bother. Celerity and Carapace will give you a much bigger bang for your buck.

Maybe a side-effect of Silence on Lerks should now be that it hides the tracers.
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    Celerity over silence for lerk and that's not because of tracers.

Shark-lerking + celerity means you can travel at 15.1 speed allowing you to much more rapidly position yourself around the map. Silence doesn't mute damage sounds and lerks glide silently anyway.
  • Marshall_DrumminMarshall_Drummin Join Date: 2012-12-04 Member: 174115Members
    Lerk tracers are still bad, but aside from that camouflage deactivates at a very sensitive level. Even when you fall off a very small ledge it deactivates and you turn opaque green. The first model image of a deactivated camouflage alien is easier to see than a regular alien. So those are two things that should be tweaked.