Forgiveness

1234568»

Comments

• RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Savant wrote: »
    MMZ_Torak wrote: »
    The problem is that any actions taken to improve the forgiveness would have to be very carefully thought out and done in a very controlled way. The forgiveness pendulum swings very easily; taking too far the other way will lead to equally un-winnable games.
    And again I am in full agreement with you here Torak. I wasn't suggesting anything rash at all.

You can go two ways with this.

You make the game more forgiving, which then allows for more back-and-forth battles, as well as more territory exchange. The plus side is that you get people who always feel they can stage a comeback, but on the minus side games could drag on much longer.

Or you can make the game less forgiving. While it seems counter-intuitive, it could work. You make the game so the slope is even more slippery, which means once one team reaches a certain point the game comes to an end very quickly with no hope for a comeback. However, since the end comes so fast, people never resign since it finishes quickly. No one is demoralized since the game ended fast.

I'm not really tied to any particular concept or idea. It could be something as simple as changing the game slightly. Another example.

Let's say that the end game is not destroying all the opponent's tech points. Instead we make it so that the game becomes a progression. Each side has to secure three tech points to win, and there is a maximum 5 on any map. The original tech point that a team starts with can't be destroyed.

This takes the battle out of the spawns and pushes it towards the 'middle' of the map. (figuratively speaking of course) The battle now is not over the original tech point, but to prevent the opponent from claiming a tech point. Both sides are on the assault against one another trying to achieve the same objective. (to get three tech points)

To make it so that the one side has a chance to prevent the other side from securing the final tech point, we make it so that the tech point has to 'build'. (think same as hive needing to mature, but this would now apply to the command chair - there would be a 'charge time' before the chair would be considered active) During this time the enemy would throw everything it could at the other team, since it knows if the tech point is attained it's game over.

The game progresses upwards to a peak, and until the very last second, the other team is STILL viable. For this example two tech points would be 'max tech'. So aliens would have two-hive Onos. (again, we balance this all out)

Do you see what I'm talking about in terms of progression to a peak? Until one side reaches the peak, both sides are still in it. Yet at present we have a point where the game peaks early but doesn't end. So people are left waiting, and then they eventually quit.

Yup, like this. like an exponential slope: shallow at the beginning, much steeper at the end...