Rookies and closet rookies everywhere

FuleFule Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67683Members
This is getting worse and worse, and I'm wondering - where did all the average/somewhat skilled players disappear? Today I have yet to find a server where I can enjoy a game without rookies. It has always been like this - 30% of the players on the server are average or better players, the rest is rookies - there is no fun in having a high k/d ratio against rookies. Is there a specific server where non rookies play? Don't tell me to play gathers - I try when I can, but most of the time it's a loooooong wait until all 12 players sign up.
p.s. it is even more ridiculous when on a server full of rookies some clan players come in (well known clan players)

Comments

• ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    edited March 2013
    The NS2 player count has increased from an average ~1500 at peak to an average ~2500 at peak.
    UWE is working to get the veteran players to team up according to Organized NS2 Play systems post.
    As for the greens, well..they really need training.

What do we do? Have veteran only servers and kick greens or people with low K/D?
    We could try a mod based on NS2 steam hours.
  • FuleFule Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67683Members
    Don't get all up over me - I just suggested that there are too many rookies in here that don't know what they're doing. Of course, I try to give some tips to rookie commanders, but these rookies seriously need some training before they get in multiplayer. This has been suggested before, and if I remember right - developers were thinking about a single player mode made specially for rookies.
  • YoungTrotskyYoungTrotsky Join Date: 2007-03-09 Member: 60307Members
    You totally stole my idea, Zaggy.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    You know, sometimes it's possible, but the people at least have to try. I f you have a team of people who hang in the main base all the game, you are going to lose, and frustrate the other half of the team that is actually trying.
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    If they're playing the game, they're trying.

If they're playing poorly - like, say, hanging around in base - help them get better.

If they're not getting better, you need to work on your leadership skills.
  • YoungTrotskyYoungTrotsky Join Date: 2007-03-09 Member: 60307Members
    Daxx wrote: »
    Zaggy wrote: »
    kick greens or people with low K/D?

Brilliant idea, kick all your gorges. And hours played != skill. I have a couple hundred hours in and I often have a negative K/D, usually trying to achieve objectives, not just killfarm.

Since there's no way to make a match making system currently, you either organize matches with people you consider "skilled" or sack up and help rookies become better.

You had a first day in this game once too. Shitting all over new players is a sure way to make the community not grow, and kill the game in the long run.

I think the point is that lots of experienced players are not interested in spending their time teaching new players and I think that's fair enough, so it would be nice if there were servers that only allowed players with X number of hours played, so everyone would know how to play and there would not be lots of frustrated veterans shouting at players who don't know how to use bile bomb and new players getting freaked out because some veteran players are just shouting 'newbs' and killing everyone. It's not about skill usually, it's about understanding the complex system that is NS2.

I also think a lot of new players would feel more comfortable if their were some servers they could join that only allowed players with under X number of hours played, so they knew they weren't pissing off anyone by being unfamiliar with the game and were more likely to be with players of a similar level. Maybe these servers could even have the explore mode running.

And then there should always be servers that any player can join so that experienced players can teach if they want to and new players can learn more advanced stuff.
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    Fule wrote: »
    This is getting worse and worse, and I'm wondering - where did all the average/somewhat skilled players disappear? Today I have yet to find a server where I can enjoy a game without rookies. It has always been like this - 30% of the players on the server are average or better players, the rest is rookies - there is no fun in having a high k/d ratio against rookies. Is there a specific server where non rookies play? Don't tell me to play gathers - I try when I can, but most of the time it's a loooooong wait until all 12 players sign up.
    p.s. it is even more ridiculous when on a server full of rookies some clan players come in (well known clan players)

feel the joy of teaching!

the more you teach, the better you get yourself and the others too and
    so you get better games then even before quicker!

be friendly, be nice and always remember: behave like you would have needed all the others to behave when you where a rookie yourself!
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    Zaggy wrote: »
    kick greens or people with low K/D?

Brilliant idea, kick all your gorges. And hours played != skill. I have a couple hundred hours in and I often have a negative K/D, usually trying to achieve objectives, not just killfarm.

Since there's no way to make a match making system currently, you either organize matches with people you consider "skilled" or sack up and help rookies become better.

You had a first day in this game once too. Shitting all over new players is a sure way to make the community not grow, and kill the game in the long run.

Whoa, easy there, I should've added a sarcasm tag to that post, I don't hate the newbies.
    The K/D thing obviously doesn't work, the hour thing might work.
    Battle.net comes to mind but the SC community is way WAY bigger for that to work.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    edited March 2013
    CrazyEddie wrote: »
    Now is a very good time to work on your leadership skills.

With the right attitude, games full of rookies can be some of the best games you'll play.

Its true, Ive seen some mad shit pulled off with a team full of green tags.

Calm yourself brah, or at least read what the man wrote before getting your panties in a twist. He said dedicated VETERAN SERVER.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Admins of servers where I usually play locked down two of six their servers and gave PWs to regulars. We are going to stick there for a week or two, when games are back to somewhat normal state (if you can ever call pub games normal).
  • randomroperandomrope Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 180026Members
    It would be as simple as adding a (Veteran Preferred) tag similar to the (Rookie Friendly) tag. Server tags are and should be common sense rules, not restrictions.

There is no point is forcing people to play with specific gamers even if it is to find others around their same skill level. I don't think people are taking into account server culture. Some servers charge a fee for becoming admin. On some servers you become acquainted with and build relationships with the admin and regular player base. You yourself may become a regular that is known for helping people learn or for commanding when no one will do it. I still play on a few rookie friendly servers because I started playing their and I know the admins are fair and friendly. Why should I have to stop playing on a server where I have built relationships? I understand the need to not get stomped into the ground by vets that wont move on but that is a totally different problem that can be handled by the admin. Gaming (pc especially) has become more social than ever before and you have to accommodate that. Ask any server owner or operator and ask them if their regular server traffic should have to be forced to move on and never return. There is no way they would be ok with that. For some people running a server is a business or a supplemental income (and most of the time they are paying for it entirely). You should not control their private server or business that they are sinking their own economic resources into. Just my own thought.
  • CiroCiro Join Date: 2013-01-09 Member: 178392Members
    edited March 2013
    ...help rookies become better.

You had a first day in this game once too.

Yup.
    Sicion wrote: »
    my solution to this problem

1. disconnect
    2. take a deep breath
    3. listen to this *snip*
    4. reconnect
    5. Profit !!!!

Alt+D, play Halo 1 theme song, Alt+Tab back in, no longer care about the outcome of the match.
  • SicionSicion Join Date: 2012-04-09 Member: 150143Members
    In my experiance it will sort itself out over time. If good players regular play on a server it will slowly increase the skill of everyone that stays. Better players stay weaker leave or get better over time.
    Ciro wrote: »
    Alt+D, play Halo 1 theme song, Alt+Tab back in, no longer care about the outcome of the match.
    If we just talk about soundtracks nothing can reach the epicness that homeworld has built in my opinion!
    It still sends chills down my spine after all these years. <3

• EucomolhamasEucomolhamas Join Date: 2013-03-10 Member: 183841Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Rookies? I don't mind, I love helping out new people and seeing them learn just like people did to me when I started. What really irritates me are newbies, some even without the rookie tag, who never say anything and do whatever they want ignoring every tip or command.

If you're a newbie, you're always better off saying you're bad at the game, since I've yet to see anyone raging at a newbie who admits it, and yeah, if you're not sure what to do, follow other players and do what the commander/other players tell you to do, you'll learn in time.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I know what you mean OP, today I raged out of a game, swearing off pub play for good :( I just can't handle people being so dumb, that staring at vents waiting for enemies to appear is satisfying to them. Meanwhile, trying to solo objectives with no support....
  • FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members

If they're playing poorly - like, say, hanging around in base - help them get better.

Leadership skills don't make people stop being bad, skillwise.
    That is: You can give people the best directions in the world, they can even follow said directions, but if they're awful(read: Can't aim) it won't make a lick of difference.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter

Leadership skills don't make people stop being bad, skillwise.
    That is: You can give people the best directions in the world, they can even follow said directions, but if they're awful(read: Can't aim) it won't make a lick of difference.

Have to agree with this, I comm, a LOT, and people can't do the simplest things, today on summit, spawned FC (as rines) couldn't secure a SINGLE tech point, not even XR, which is so easy to get to from FC. This isn't uncommon either. The best part is, after being locked in to base with 2-3 RT average, people still think they can win the game, well, frankly I don't want to sit in an overhead view, watch you fumble your guns for 10 more minutes while they turtle onos, then get blamed for the loss.
  • PandademicPandademic Join Date: 2013-02-26 Member: 183359Members
    @sicion Oh man, I know them feels. Every time with that theme. Homeworld still stands as one of the most beautiful experiences in gaming.

On point: Veteran servers wouldn't solve the problem. There will always be huge skill gaps, that's just the nature of public servers in a game without ranking and matchmaking. NS2 doesn't lend itself to ranking or matchmaking, so there's nowhere to go with this issue other than the advice already given: lead the rookies or join gathers.
  • FLuXFLuX Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11633Members, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    I don't mind newbs, i don't mind rookies. they learn, they get better
    I do NOT like n00bs though, idiots who refuse to learn/are intentionally bad. :(
  • mclawlsmclawls Join Date: 2013-03-02 Member: 183556Members
    FLuX wrote: »
    Here is your solution. Enlist in Natural Selection 2 Mentorship Program! And help out. =]

looooool...

Yes, it can get frustrating when a couple skulks jump on you and your shitty teammate who can't aim for shit stands back and uses you as the bait instead of vice versa, where they could actually maybe be of SOME sort of use. Or when you're dealing 120 dmg to a carapace skulk or getting a huge shotgun blast on a fade or lerk with cara only to watch them peace out as your teammates can't even hit a single shot.

What can ya do though.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Hey I saw a team entirely of greens, myself (a pocket green) and a green com beat a non green team during the free weekend.

I hope some of those players are still playing!
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    In my opinion, I was hoping they would FORCE rookie players to play on rookie servers only until their rookie attribute is gone (and for those who obviously have experience coming into FPS or read a lot up before coming to play could simply disable rookie in options. That was the real issue with the free weekend, I tried to teach people to play when I could but when I actually wanted to play I was getting really frustrated and ended up not playing much of the weekend

Also servers limited to how many hours of ns2 you have on steam sounds interesting, but I don't think it's the best idea to put a wall between so many players. I'd rather see what happens with this organized player system and I'm *hoping* that the organized play system takes down ALL of the official servers and uses them for that, while leaving the regular dedicated servers all to the community (I think this would improve the amount of community servers being played on, including modded ones) and for people who wanted a quick pug/party pug could use this organized play system.

Also having events or even tournaments using the official system would be awesome as well. For those of us who don't feel they have enough time to dedicate to a team and a league
  • NousWandererNousWanderer Join Date: 2010-05-07 Member: 71646Members
    edited March 2013
    It can be frustrating to deal with new players at times, but I've yet to find myself get exasperated at someone willing to communicate / listen. It's one thing to simply suck at the game but have a great, open attitude about improvement, and another thing entirely to walk into this game and ignore that it's a team game. The latter players - the kind who play without sound, or don't respond to their own name - are the truly frustrating ones.

Part of the problem is certainly the lack of adequate introductory content. Some kind of coherent tutorial system would be really effective, but that's not news.
  • CabooseCaboose title = name(self, handle) Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13597Members, Constellation
    I enjoy playing NS2, and I try to offer general tips over voice comm if there are greens on my team. I rarely comm, but If I see somebody while I'm in dead-spectator-mode that needs a pointer, I'll give it to them.

However, I really enjoy playing games where I'm not ahead in kills by a factor of 2+ to anyone on my team (I don't care about deaths as a skulk/LMG foot marine, so I often rack up a lot) K:D ratio is a useless statistic in this game, imho. If you die for the good of your team, good for you, you'll respawn.

I would like the option to play with non rookies by choice rather than chance.

Including an achievement system and requiring players to reach a certain number of achievements before rookie mode can be disabled would be nice. It would make sure that people at least have experienced enough of the game mechanics before they play on non-rookie servers.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    It can be frustrating to deal with new players at times, but I've yet to find myself get exasperated at someone willing to communicate / listen. It's one thing to simply suck at the game but have a great, open attitude about improvement, and another thing entirely to walk into this game and ignore that it's a team game. The latter players - the kind who play without sound, or don't respond to their own name - are the truly frustrating ones.

Part of the problem is certainly the lack of adequate introductory content. Some kind of coherent tutorial system would be really effective, but that's not news.

even more frustrating is players with names you have to figure out or are flat out unpronouceable. incidentally, I've long since accepted that ah-mohrel is going to be said... education in these united states... and I'll respond to that too.