Game crashes the entire computer in sound options

VittuLimaVittuLima Join Date: 2012-12-25 Member: 176227Members
Ok so this has happened to me few times now, with about 33% "crashrate". Since the microphone system is bugged that i need to go options to change sound options setting back and forth to enable microphone working. When i do this my entire computer freezes about third of the time. I cant alt tab, use windows button or ctrl alt delete. Nothing works, only solution is to restart the whole computer. Game/computer is frozen about 20-30 sec but the mouse is still working in options even tho u cant actually click anything with it etc, so u can just move it around. after that time u cant even move the mouse, complete freeze.

I consider this pretty serious bug since its not just annoying but it might actually cause damage to the computer having to restart it continuosly.

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2013
    Anything in your log file?
    %appdata%\Natural selection 2\log.txt

Also please see my signature below :)
  • rwsrws Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2013-01-05 Member: 177696Members
    When your microphone stops working while in game, all you have to do is just bring up the menu, then go back into the game. No need to go into the sound options and change anything around. It's not a perm fix, just a temp solution until the devs can figure out what is going on.
  • VittuLimaVittuLima Join Date: 2012-12-25 Member: 176227Members
    My specs:

Win 7 64-bit
    ASROCK Z77 EXTREME4-M
    i5-3570k non oc
    HD7750
    8GB 1600mhz DDR3

I went out now trying to reproduce the failure, I managed to get similiar with couple of tries, game froze for couple of minutes but got restored after that

log:

Date: 03/28/13
    Time: 12:43:23
    Build 243
    Steam initialized
    Render Device: AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series (8.17.10.1172)
    Sound Device: Headset Earphone (Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000 ) stereo
    Record Device: Headset Microphone (Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000 )
    Mounting archived build 229
    M4::ZipFileSource::Attach: OK attached to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2/builds/build_229.zip
    Mounting mod from C:/Users/Pillu/AppData/Roaming/Natural Selection 2/Workshop/m6764dc6_1353005256/
    Loading config://ConsoleBindings.json
    Loading config://FavoriteServers.json
    Main Menu Initialized at Version: 229
    Steam Id: xxx
    Compiling 'models/alien/alien.surface_shader'
    ReadDeferred.fxh:103 : warning X3205: conversion from larger type to smaller, possible loss of data
    ReadDeferred.fxh:112 : warning X3205: conversion from larger type to smaller, possible loss of data
    ReadDeferred.fxh:121 : warning X3205: conversion from larger type to smaller, possible loss of data
    ReadDeferred.fxh:125 : warning X3205: conversion from larger type to smaller, possible loss of data
    ReadDeferred.fxh:146 : warning X3206: implicit truncation of vector type
    models/alien/alien.surface_shader:123 : error X3018: invalid subscript 'id'

Error: Couldn't load shader 'models/alien/alien.surface_shader' for material 'models/alien/babbler/babbler.material'
    Connecting to server 91.236.254.12:27021
    Downloading mods
    Finished downloading and installing mods
    Mounting mod from C:/Users/Pillu/AppData/Roaming/Natural Selection 2/Workshop/m6764dc6_1353005256/
    Loading 'maps/ns2_refinery.level'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/cinematics/exoreveal/page_1_panels_1-11 - onosemerges/camera7.model'
    Compiling 'shaders/Level.surface_shader'
    Compiling 'shaders/Model.surface_shader'
    Compiling 'shaders/Model_emissive.surface_shader'
    Compiling 'shaders/Model_alpha.surface_shader'
    Compiling 'shaders/Model_emissive_alpha.surface_shader'
    Building pathing mesh for level maps/ns2_refinery.level
    Finished loading 'maps/ns2_refinery.level'
    Compiling 'shaders/Emissive.surface_shader'
    Error: Couldn't open file ''
    Error: Couldn't open file ''
    Turckelten killed Ciborge (ツ) with Rifle
    Chat Team 2 - -[BS]- CurteLomos: :S
    Chat Team 2 - Flying Sloth: celebrty is best
    Chat Team 2 - Flying Sloth: get that first
    worin64 killed Aero with Rifle
    jun944sangtwitchtv killed Ciborge (ツ) with Rifle
    VittuLima killed jun944sangtwitchtv with Bite
    VittuLima killed worin64 with Bite
    robin9090 killed VittuLima with Rifle
    Main Menu Initialized at Version: 243
    Chat Team 2 - thelawenforcer: noipe silence
    Sensai25 killed robin9090 with Bite
    Chat Team 2 - Flying Sloth: u fag
    FIGHT_Bigmac` killed Sensai25 with Rifle
    Error: 4 memory leaks in 'ClientWorld' (1544 bytes)
    Mounting archived build 229
    M4::ZipFileSource::Attach: OK attached to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2/builds/build_229.zip
    Compiling 'shaders/Level.surface_shader'
    Compiling 'shaders/Model.surface_shader'
    Compiling 'shaders/Model_alpha.surface_shader'
    Compiling 'shaders/Model_emissive_alpha.surface_shader'
    Compiling 'shaders/Model_emissive.surface_shader'
    Main Menu Initialized at Version: 229
    Compiling 'models/alien/alien.surface_shader'
    ReadDeferred.fxh:103 : warning X3205: conversion from larger type to smaller, possible loss of data
    ReadDeferred.fxh:112 : warning X3205: conversion from larger type to smaller, possible loss of data
    ReadDeferred.fxh:121 : warning X3205: conversion from larger type to smaller, possible loss of data
    ReadDeferred.fxh:125 : warning X3205: conversion from larger type to smaller, possible loss of data
    ReadDeferred.fxh:146 : warning X3206: implicit truncation of vector type
    models/alien/alien.surface_shader:123 : error X3018: invalid subscript 'id'

Error: Couldn't load shader 'models/alien/alien.surface_shader' for material 'models/alien/babbler/babbler.material'
    Compiling 'shaders/emissive.surface_shader'
    Error: Attempted to load remote options from a file that does not exist.
    Error: 4 memory leaks in 'Client' (1544 bytes)
    Error: 4 memory leaks in 'Engine' (1544 bytes)
  • dethovudethovu Join Date: 2009-06-23 Member: 67906Members
    I'm not familiar with Microsoft LifeChat...does that plug in to your on-board sound output? Or is it USB with its own system drivers?

If it is USB, perhaps it is a driver error/conflict?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Yea that lifechat thing is suspect..
    I'd personally try uninstalling it's drivers and using whatever generic driver the OS gives it, to prevent any overlays or interrupting services.
    Then ensure that its the default device in your sound options (important for ns2)
    Then retry.

let us know :)
  • VittuLimaVittuLima Join Date: 2012-12-25 Member: 176227Members
    It is connected via usb http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/p/lifechat-lx-3000#details

I keep my stereos as my default sound device and headset as default communication device in windows. I prefer it like that so i dont have to be swapping all the time, i just put the earphones as used sound device from any games options i play with them. I might try tomorrow reproducing the problem with the headphones unplugged.