a way to know what the commander is doing while on the ground.

littleevilwolflittleevilwolf Join Date: 2013-01-17 Member: 180231Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited March 2013 in Ideas and Suggestions
too many times [not counting free weekend] a com has been in the com chair either doing nothing or no knowing what to do. i don't play on rookie server to get away from this when i do play on rookie servers I help them blah blah blah blah. the last game i have had the coms have been wasting team res on whip in the middle of room, and 12 shells(one hive at the time). [all upgraded to 1 upgrade] then no one sees this is happening i'm like -.- kick them i'll fix everything.the person didnt even have a place cysted for a second hive i was like "goooooooooood" -faceplam- i did give him/her a chance i let it go on for 20 min till i was just like kick him/her out of the hive ill get everything how it should be and still win with the handicap.[was not on a greenie server at the time was on a white server]

the thing is i would like to see in the game while on the ground. a icon or something pops up at the bottom or side displaying "research started. and displays the time till its up." like the icon looks like the ones in commanding mode or spectating mode those would be best they just don't hang around.

how many of the structures [upgraded and not]r up [not on hub can hit button to find out]
like the v key or something like that will list how many whips, shells[reg,and cara], spur[cele, ader], so on.

the display will also stop some people from buging us coms "when my blah blah blah done?!" "did u start research on the blah blah blah?!" oh and display tres below the pres on the hud so they can see how much res the com has.

see what the com has selected on the large map can tell where the com is looking will be helpful for marines to know if the com is helping a marine in combat since the "just dropped menu" isn't very accurate sometimes

makes it easyer to explain what to do. maybe add a "request help" which lets a 2nd person hope in the hive and place "ghost" and/or move the view/menus to help them along a kind of co commander showing how/where to place stuff/upgrade

:D

Comments

• sHawke_NativesHawke_Native Join Date: 2012-12-20 Member: 175650Members
    this will be extremely useful to know what a rookie comm is doing and not bugging an experienced comm with requests...
  • Al_BoboAl_Bobo Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183957Members
    I agree. As long as all that info stays away from my screen and needs a button pressed before shown.
  • littleevilwolflittleevilwolf Join Date: 2013-01-17 Member: 180231Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Shrimm wrote: »
    How about this?

47Z8W0m.jpg

When holding down the map button it would show all upgrades and currently researching upgrades in the top right corner. The white Trapezoid at crossroads is where the commander is currently looking; similar to the minimap in RTS games.

yus this is what i was thinking and better in some ways :D
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    the spectator Insight has the currently researching items in a group in the bottom. could easily have that overly added to the Hud.
  • KopungaKopunga Join Date: 2013-01-10 Member: 178764Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Thumbs up for Shrimm's idea.
    But in addition, I noticed that while respawning you see a circle around anything the comm has selected. I'd appreciate if that was visible while alive at least for buildings. That way I can at least figure if the comm has the right building selected when I try to navigate him to an upgrade.

• xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Shrimm wrote: »
    How about this?

47Z8W0m.jpg

When holding down the map button it would show all upgrades and currently researching upgrades in the top right corner. The white Trapezoid at crossroads is where the commander is currently looking; similar to the minimap in RTS games.

EDIT: I disagree with your idea for having a 'ghost comm' though. Being an person down because the comm is new is bad and would lead to him having even more difficulty competing with the opposing team. It's much better to just tell them what to do over the mic. If they can't interpret your instructions without being physically shown, comm probably isn't for them.

Comm already has these icons and view outline on minimap, so this suggestion is:
    1. Easy to implement.
    2. Very useful / solves lots of problems.
    3. Does not clutter HUD at all.

Now we just need UWE to notice this.
  • dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    I can find one glitch if that is implemented however...

If you get out of the com chair/hive and hop back in while something is researching (it's hard with the bloody time it takes the walls to come up but work with me), the progress bars reset.

While it's not a bad idea (I kinda like it) newb coms will still be able to drop whips, not cyst and etc. Talk is needed, all the time

ALL. THE. TIME.
  • KopungaKopunga Join Date: 2013-01-10 Member: 178764Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    dragonmith wrote: »
    I can find one glitch if that is implemented however...

If you get out of the com chair/hive and hop back in while something is researching (it's hard with the bloody time it takes the walls to come up but work with me), the progress bars reset.

While it's not a bad idea (I kinda like it) newb coms will still be able to drop whips, not cyst and etc. Talk is needed, all the time

ALL. THE. TIME.

But at least you can notice earlier and maybe eject in time.

Another glitch is, if you select two of the same upgrade building and research the same upgrade, and then cancel one of the two, the interface does not show it anymore until it's completely resarched.

• CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    This is only really an issue for the alien team, since the marines get constantly updated about what their commander is doing in their HUD. It's probably done to make a more apparent difference between the teched up, coordinated team and the Hive mind that only gets rough information from their commander.