ns2_supply

munkeyspaynkmunkeyspaynk Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172801Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
edited May 2015 in Mapping
I'm terrible at updating forums but I'll try when I remember to. I've started work on a map I'm currently calling Supply which is intended to be a facility that handles supply distribution to other nearby facilities.

Workshop Page

The main starting point I wanted for the layout was something I like to do in which the teams spawn in rooms separated by a window.
layout_sketch_zpsb51058f9.jpg

Then I made a quick version in Spark, trying to get used to the tools. (This also shows a room I've been putting more work into)
initial_layout_zps8404aed1.jpg

Intended marine start.
marine_start_zps3fd4a56d.jpg

Intended alien start.
alien_start_zps7e9f78c7.jpg

And that room I've spent more time on.
depot_platform_zpsc83d3b88.jpg
depot_main_zps1c4bb7ed.jpg

I've been working on and off amongst other projects I have going on and playing NS2. A link to the initial layout if you feel compelled to look at the dev textures with no work put into the geometry.
mediafire.com/download.php?moh87f51p4pdh7i

Comments

• AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    woah
    2 bases, right next to each other?
    Mind.
    Blown.
  • The_JanitorThe_Janitor Join Date: 2013-03-24 Member: 184320Members
    edited March 2013
    AuroN2 wrote: »
    woah
    2 bases, right next to each other?
    Mind.
    Blown.
    There's going to be arcs up in hee-aaa.
  • Rellik_ptRellik_pt Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181205Members
    whats wrong with being close? ns2_tram warehouse to server room is also close and works
  • munkeyspaynkmunkeyspaynk Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172801Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    There's going to be arcs up in hee-aaa.

Yeah, I'll be sure to make sure that arcs won't be a problem and that there will be plenty of room to hide structures from just looking through. It's meant to be a tease having the enemy so close but not be able to attack.

• DarkSeraphDarkSeraph Join Date: 2004-06-07 Member: 29174Members
    edited March 2013
    I can already picture Jetpackers in the #3 screenshot having a field day with that hive.
  • munkeyspaynkmunkeyspaynk Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172801Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    A little more fleshed out on some areas.
    landing_pad_zpsd02cd6c4.jpg
    landing_pad2_zps947df0f9.jpg
    window_room_zpsf864bacd.jpg
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Too bright, tone it down a little.
    edited April 2013
    Here's a little progress showing some change to the layout. @AuroN2, I wanted some bright spots and there's only 3 areas that have that much brightness; the tech room on the far right, the landing pad area, and that res room on the bottom left with the windows. These are areas are places the aliens will get to early and when I finally get to test it I'll change if the lighting is a problem, but at this point I want it for a visual thing.

layout_p1_zpseabd7f68.jpg

Medical Room
    medical_room1_zps99606b1c.jpg
    medical_room2_zps1b565671.jpg

Elevator Room
    elevator_room_zps7daa50fa.jpg
    I promise I didn't die.

Control
    i9v9ps7gnanx.jpg
    plbjzb0uj82z.jpg

Between Junction, Control, and Cafeteria
    wx8rb8j4hhra.jpg

Junction
    zu752evfgydf.jpg

Cafeteria
    qweixmt85nnm.jpg

Med Bay
    7qwpmfbzruzy.jpg

Med Bay vent
    ektf1ut9v7q3.jpg

Elevator
    fzjnmensd5os.jpg
    Water Pumps (still bad)
    50ey2r7oo1xm.jpg

Depot
    41bq28hwn8by.jpg

Observation (mostly the same)
    2a4r7rq49m92.jpg

Receiving
    d1o65629lph5.jpg
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Looks cool! Atmospherics should be toned down though. They should never obscure vision to this degree, but rather they should function as a way to slightly color the room more.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Rellik_pt wrote: »
    whats wrong with being close? ns2_tram warehouse to server room is also close and works

Warehouse-server spawns were removed from tram several major builds ago (along with many other close spawn scenarios) because it did not work.
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    What Beige said, those atmospherics are pretty soupy. And I wonder if those railings would cause some frustration in that first screenshot, as it makes what seems to be a fairly limited floorspace even more cramped. I also feel like some of the light is a little too desaturated (screenshots 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, and 11) and could do with some more colour.

Is the map on the workshop?

Also, @meatmachine, way to respond to a 2 year old comment. :P
    Most of the lighting is gonna change and is currently only set to white. I'm definitely gonna turn down most of the atmospherics, I just haven't turned them down since I've only just began putting detailing into the map.

@meatmachine the rooms that comment was about are physically right next to each other, but technically cross spawns since they don't directly connect to each other.

@flacterectomy the first screenshot is only about a third of the space of the room, and I want that area to be cramped to force the marines to use that space more wisely or set up structures in the space you see in screenshot 2. Also, workshop page