How will fps players follow orders?

brncaobrncao Join Date: 2013-03-22 Member: 184149Members
I have not played the game yet, but my concern is how players work with the commander. If the commander's only form of communication is through the ingame chat window or mic, then it's going to be less enjoyable, more frustration. No one pays attention to the chat window when you're focused on the action, and not everyone will use a mic. Are there anything that's visual to aid the players (i.e. waypoint paths, markers, and objectives)?

Comments

• OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Pretty much yes to everything you asked, paths, markers and objectives are in.

One thing to note about NS2 is the players are generally vocal - 5+ mics per team on public servers is not unusual.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Primary method is voice chat, but there is text chat, waypoints/markers, and ways for both the players and the comm to ping parts of the map.
  • brncaobrncao Join Date: 2013-03-22 Member: 184149Members
    Awesome! It shows the devs really thought this through. Now the only thing left is an online campaign. I'd also like to see weaker bots (quantity) working alongside human players (quality), but that's for another thread.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited March 2013
    There's a singleplayer mod being worked on and there's some other mods you should definitely check out. (Combat is great fun for practice, marine vs marine can be a blast, etc)

And yea, players are inclined to listen to their comm because they realise that is the only path to victory. At least once they understand the RTS mechanics that are at play :P.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    If anything, some players have a problem of taking the waypoints too literally.
  • TechnIckSTechnIckS Join Date: 2007-01-14 Member: 59616Members
    Best way to experience it is to try it. It's a free weekend, so... go ahead, enjoy this wonderful work of art we call Natural Selection :D
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Squishpoke wrote: »
    This. Sometimes you have to micromanage everything. Go to logistics. Build the rt. Go to repair room. I would take that over people who do not listen any day.
    Example?
  • Super_GorgeSuper_Gorge Join Date: 2013-03-22 Member: 184212Members
    brncao wrote: »
    Example?

They'll move to the waypoints and ignore areas that need help.

Say for instance that an important base or structure is being attacked, but the Commander has waypointed another area. Some people will go to that waypoint and ignore that a base is under assault.
    Oh I see what you mean.

Anyways I just played the game. The commander didn't give out any orders. I find myself getting lost and moving to places alone (and getting killed). No teamwork. The tutorial is very terrible to say the least; Youtube videos and 5+ minutes? Isn't that unprofessional? Ingame tutorials have always been hands-on. I can't blame the commander though. Hopefully mods can help it. If not, I hope they took key learnings from NS2 and improve upon it in NS3.
  • Jman117Jman117 Join Date: 2012-08-03 Member: 154698Members
    Oh I see what you mean.

Anyways I just played the game. The commander didn't give out any orders. I find myself getting lost and moving to places alone (and getting killed). No teamwork. The tutorial is very terrible to say the least; Youtube videos and 5+ minutes? Isn't that unprofessional? Ingame tutorials have always been hands-on. I can't blame the commander though. Hopefully mods can help it. If not, I hope they took key learnings from NS2 and improve upon it in NS3.

It's hard to get into for sure. If you do not have a good commander, you're going to be confused. But I can assure you as soon as you get a good commander you're going to be hooked ^.^ Rookie server commanders tend to have commanders that don't give orders like they should, and the problem is less of an issue as you start playing on regular/official servers.
  • TomD22TomD22 Join Date: 2010-12-28 Member: 75995Members
    If you're in Europe, the HBZ, Stammtisch (both German-speaking but usually the players are kind enough to switch to English when other people are on) and eXo servers will generally have vocal commanders. Also players who can aim and can play alien well though so prepare to die a lot :D
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    edited March 2013
    Oh I see what you mean.

The in-game tutorials suck - check out my Steam guide to get up and running.
  • MontypMontyp Join Date: 2013-04-22 Member: 184930Members
    If you search the interwebs there are some great guides on how to command for both Alien and Marines, I've written a few myself. The in-game tutorial is not designed to hold your hand, its good to explore and try out some different combinations when you're the boots on the ground to figure out your play style.

If you join the rookie servers (green) you may find some rookie commanders that don't know how to give orders or lead a team to victory. Often times I've joined a rookie server I find veterans taking command to help with the learning curve.

Before you command you should definitely try out the FPS portion first, til you get used to the tech trees and maps. Just keep in mind that when the commander asks you to go somewhere or kill something, you should follow their orders. When you're commanding you'd expect them to do the same for you.

Unlike every other FPS this isn't about K/D ratios, its about teamwork.
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    NS2 is a game where not every game is enjoyable (I'm working to fix that), but if you get a good commander then you will generally have an enjoyable time.
  • MontypMontyp Join Date: 2013-04-22 Member: 184930Members
    Yeah the most annoying thing about pub matches is that some of them tend to turn into every man for himself. Once you find a good server, favorite it and you'll normally find the quality of games increases when you have a good community to support it.