To servers using "Reserved Slots"

SaegrimrSaegrimr Join Date: 2013-03-20 Member: 184086Members
edited March 2013 in Server Discussion
Thanks for letting me spend all that time "precaching" and loading the map just to inform me the server owner is king *snip*

18/20 means there's two slots available. If you don't want people playing on your public server, password it.

Comments

• hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    I can understand 1 slot being reserved but joined one yesterday that was full at 16/23...I tried to join when it had 18/23 slots taken...got all the way in to be booted because of this.
    Put it in your server name or dont have so many damn reserved slots!
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    This is the way reserved slots should work:

24 player server has 2 reserved slots.

when server is full without reserved slots being used it should look 24/24.

when a reserved slot player joins it should boot the last person joined on the server prior to the reserved slot person joining.

I have seen games like this in the past UT2004 and UT3 had mods that did this. At least it wouldn't waste anyone's time as stated in the previous posts here.
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited March 2013
    Absolutely not, that's even more awful than the impossible to connect solution (if it is displayed and the user know why).

Just never display the reserved slots, and if a reserved slot want to join a full server, make it so that the server display 17/16.
    If any player disconnects, switch that reserved slot to the general pool (16/16).
    Then put a limit of max reserved slot for a server, so with 3 max reserved slot, the server will have a limit of 19 players max anytime, and you can't enter the server even if you have a reserved slot.
  • deathmongerdeathmonger Join Date: 2012-07-06 Member: 153953Members
    Reserved slots are stupid.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Regnareb wrote: »
    Absolutely not, that's even more awful than the impossible to connect solution (if it is displayed and the user know why).

Just never display the reserved slots, and if a reserved slot want to join a full server, make it so that the server display 17/16.
    If any player disconnects, switch that reserved slot to the general pool (16/16).
    Then put a limit of max reserved slot for a server, so with 3 max reserved slot, the server will have a limit of 19 players max anytime, and you can't enter the server even if you have a reserved slot.
    Pretty much how it should work, but there needs to be a few changes with the game/engine to allow modders to do this.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I guess the reserved slots mod will need some work on how they are displayed in the server browser, if that is at all moddable.

Also this thread being is nothing more then a complaint serve no purpose, this forum isn't your personal blog... If you want to get this fixed, try and find out who's responsible for this mod and suggest this feature (like I said, if at all possible)

Locked...
This discussion has been closed.