Build 242 Wrecked My Settings

DarkATiDarkATi Revelation 22:17 Join Date: 2003-06-20 Member: 17532Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited March 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
Hey everyone,

I am not sure what happened, as others say they did not experience this, but when Steam updated NS2 to build 242 I lost all my bindings and preferences. My name was also changed back to "j3sus.loves.you" (my Steam name but not the name I play NS2 under). The most frustrating part of this issue was my mouse settings. I had customized everything just the way I wanted, but build 242 brought me back to default settings (which feel sluggish compared to my old settings).

I just wanted to post this and find out if anyone else experienced it. Hopefully a solution can be found so this does not happen again. It is very annoying and made my first game of build 242 unplayable. I couldn't find my groove and had to keep tweaking my mouse settings.

Additionally, is there any way to copy my preferences to a file - or, are they already located in a file - within the NS2 folder? That way, if this happens again, I can simply restore my settings in one hit.

Thanks,
Cody

Comments

• RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    This has happened to me 3 times in upcoming patches, ALL the tweaked and tuned settings perfectly set and mouse setting perfectly calibrated or what you call it. forgot to read the exact numbers in the console and BOOM it goes back to DEFAULT all the binded keys everything to stock. it has come down to log in on steam offline mode before they release a new patch to make sure i have everything written down so i can remember the setting i need to RE-apply after the updaate becouse im getting tired of loosing all the perfected settings all the time. forgot the half of the commands i tuned in to make the graphics run smooth and get solid 100 fps at all times by now. have compremized and turn most stuff on OFF to save time now instead scince im gonna loose it in 2 weeks again anyway
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Save backup of config, then write a script to re-patch your settings every time a NS2 patch comes through the tubes. Bam, one click EZ mode.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    ye becouse every avarage joe can do that? :P where and what do i save?
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited March 2013
    Squishpoke wrote: »
    Save backup of config, then write a script to re-patch your settings every time a NS2 patch comes through the tubes. Bam, one click EZ mode.

... and stare in awe as your script turns your config file into a heap of ASCII cabbage upon an unexpected change of configuration syntax.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    It would be handy though to be able to see a number next to the mouse sensitivity slider.
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    You can set sensitivity with sensitivity number I think. It uses the same numbers as gold source/source engine.
  • DarkATiDarkATi Revelation 22:17 Join Date: 2003-06-20 Member: 17532Members, Reinforced - Shadow

Sorry for my ignorance, where is the config file located?
    Ironsoul wrote:
    You can set sensitivity with sensitivity number I think. It uses the same numbers as gold source/source engine.

Maybe internally, but it would be nice to see this number in the GUI.

Blessings,
    Cody

• SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    DarkATi wrote: »

Sorry for my ignorance, where is the config file located?

Should either be in %appdata%/Roaming/Natural Selection 2 or Steam/steamapps/common/Natural Selection 2/config

or thereabouts. You don't necessarily need a script, just save it on your desktop and copy+paste old values over if you aren't bothered with the extra work.

• [TGL]Thunderhorse[TGL]Thunderhorse Join Date: 2012-03-04 Member: 148134Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    everytime i have had a problem with ns2 i just deleted appdata folder and whatever was wrong was fixed. though it will delete your settings :P
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Sounds like a Steamcloud issue. Sometimes if Steam thinks things are messed up, it'll do a reset to defaults of the settings of your game. I suggest you just disable steam cloud to prevent these problems in the future.
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    Sounds like a Steamcloud issue. Sometimes if Steam thinks things are messed up, it'll do a reset to defaults of the settings of your game. I suggest you just disable steam cloud to prevent these problems in the future.

Probably not. I disabled steam cloud long ago and still get several resets maybe not in 243 that remains to be seen. Of course after the first 3 times I just memorized my settings and just put them back to the original placement. The tricky thing is my graphical settings never really get reset. Only the General settings which include mouse sensitivity, fov, rookie mod sometimes switches on and and raw input switches off etc etc it gets wonky. When I delete my ns2 Appdata/Roaming folder the graphical settings reset but never the general. Is there a location for the general settings?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    I wish there was some indication of what's doing this.. I've never had to reset my very odd bindings once.

Makes me wonder if its steam not running with administrative privileges or something
    Steam cloud bugs out occasionally. Best way to fix it is to replace the steam cloud with corrupted data, then reupload the default files (currently the only way to "clean" your Steam Cloud directly). Plus, this method has a nice side effect of re-enabling rookie mode.
  • DarkATiDarkATi Revelation 22:17 Join Date: 2003-06-20 Member: 17532Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    IronHorse wrote: »
    I wish there was some indication of what's doing this.. I've never had to reset my very odd bindings once.

Makes me wonder if its steam not running with administrative privileges or something

Yes, I would really like to help get this issue solved. I'm just not sure what is to blame.