WIP - NS2_Andromeda

PandademicPandademic Join Date: 2013-02-26 Member: 183359Members
edited March 2013 in Mapping
Introducing a new contender, NS2_Andromeda. She's an orbiting research facility, with 4 tech points and 10 resource points. It used to be 4TPs and 7RTs, but it only took the first minute of cysting to realize how small is too small so I doubled the RT rooms. 3 random starts for both teams, central is neutral.

Nothing but a skeleton at the moment, the boxiness is temporary. Just getting the layout right first: everything is carefully spaced to give a 15 second run between every room, no room can be arc'd by any other room, and all the hallways cut line of sight between every room. It's also as visually asymmetrical as I could make it while still maintaining perfect symmetry.

Next, I'll start familiarizing myself with all the props and tweaking the shape of each room to fit their themes, and make the greybox as appealing to play in as possible. Once I've done that I'll submit it for playtesting.

niCNhMX.png

Comments

• PandademicPandademic Join Date: 2013-02-26 Member: 183359Members
    My first room, a ready room.

M52y2qa.jpg
    onLFWBy.jpg
    rtGDGqP.jpg
    UU0ZPDl.jpg
    iLFdXmw.jpg
    M7UwzLE.jpg
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    looking like a good start as the layout looks solid, nothing I could point out as a potential pittfall. I'm looking forward to seeing how the rooms and corridors develop into interesting gameplay spaces. keep at it man
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Howser wrote: »
    looking like a good start as the layout looks solid, nothing I could point out as a potential pittfall. I'm looking forward to seeing how the rooms and corridors develop into interesting gameplay spaces. keep at it man

I would actually shift the bridge and reactor core tech points so they aren't directly visible from the hallways (unless you plan on adding pillars etc to block LOS). Keep the same thing in mind for your RTs as there are a few that will have long sight lines if you don't add obstructions.

Other than that, add some curves! But it looks like a damn good start so far.