A polite reminder: the Skulk vs. Marine hopping problem has gone nowhere

hozzhozz Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172660Members
edited March 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
I think everyone, or at least every player who is not exclusively Marine, knows from experience or the countless forum complaints what this is about. No need to repeat it*.

This thread is for 3 purposes:

1. The issue with Skulks vs. Marine b̶̶u̶̶n̶̶n̶̶y̶hopping has not changed a bit. But there hasn't been much talk about it lately. So... again, here it is :)

2. Given the latest dev blog entry about balance, to preempt people from saying "But we have 50% win rates now, what are you complaining about!!?? Whiners!"

3. To get the devs comment on the issue.

There is no denying that quality of games has gone up A LOT since 240. No more stomps with clueless Marines running back and forth between Extractors constantly under attack until the cloaked Onos rapetrain comes running into their base. Exos are seen a lot, Marines regularly hold 3 bases, etc. Especially for new players (well, Marine players at least, and new players tend to go exclusively Marine) 240 was a godsend. NS2 is much closer to the advertised product and imagined game than before. Overall gameplay IS better now.

The problem is, this was, to the most part, bought with a fairly big Skulk nerf. And the biggest part of that nerf is the Marine bunnyhopping thing.
It wasn't really a nerf in the good sense (like giving Skulks less HP, Marine weapons doing more damage,...). It didn't make Skulks harder to play or more challenging in a good way. It just made Skulks feel unfair, reduced their usability hugely, and is just not fun to play.
Given how the game is centered around Marines vs. Skulks, given how you play the base class most of the time, given how much Marines gain with weapons and upgrades later in the game, this is a huge issue (in my opinion).
A Marine team can easily win with everyone just using the base class: a LMG Marine (throw in the occasional shotty if you like). Try doing that with Skulks only after 240 (have them all evolutions available if you like). You can't. This is not a higher skill ceiling or more challenging, this is the proverbial glass ceiling. At a certain point (Marine aim + jump key in this case), there's just nothing you can do.
This is not fun.
At least that's how I see it.

So I'd like some devs' comments on this.

Are you aware of the issue?
Do you see this as a problem or is it working closer to what you always intended in terms of Marine vs Skulk gameplay?
Can we expect a change or is this just the "new Skulk" and we should get used to it?
Is this something you are working on in a specific manner?
Is the improved b-word (balance) worth it? (in my opinion, the improved game quality is a HUGE benefit, don't get me wrong)
Should players just save the 10 res and "go Lerk"/use higher lifeforms?
What are people supposed to do?

This is not to pressure you. If you need time, say so. But SOME kind of dev clarification would be really helpful. Because this is frustrating.

*PS: please everyone, do NOT comment in this thread if you don't know what it is about. "Learn to ambush", "use the walls", "teamwork" etc. shows you do NOT understand what this is about. The problem starts when you, as a Skulk, are standing right next to a Marine, possibly undetected and very often not alone...
Thanks.

Comments

• irEricirEric Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172615Members
    I suppose you only want to see posts that agree or regurgitate your point.

You want something done to tip the favor in skulks. All you've mentioned is what it's like to skulk and how unenjoyable it is. What about playing marine. I'd take this more seriously if you at least mentioned how you feel playing a marine. That if you are able to exploit bunny hopping that its just so easy dodging skulks. Then I'd see you are at least trying to be objective
  • BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    irEric wrote: »
    I suppose you only want to see posts that agree or regurgitate your point.

You want something done to tip the favor in skulks. All you've mentioned is what it's like to skulk and how unenjoyable it is. What about playing marine. I'd take this more seriously if you at least mentioned how you feel playing a marine. That if you are able to exploit bunny hopping that its just so easy dodging skulks. Then I'd see you are at least trying to be objective

I agree with much of the OP regarding the alien POV and I'll tell you how I feel as playing marine. Early game skulks are really easy to kill most of the time. Even if they get the jump on me when I'm marine I'm often able to get out of their way enough to kill them. Late game when I have weapons 3 (non upgraded) skulks are actually harder to shoot due to low fps compared to early game. The animations or hit reg or whatever it was that was fixed recently seem to help marines every bit as much or more as the reduced skulk values. I had connection problems so I missed the gorgeous patch and can't comment on it.

That said, it's still entirely possible to do good as a skulk but it can be much more frustrating than before.
  • GrizeenGrizeen Join Date: 2013-03-17 Member: 184036Members
    honestly I think this could be fixed if more skulks used their upgrades... they could be faster, put up w. more damage, or be silent... skulks aren't supposed to dance with marines much.. plus... aliens can dance too... @ 13 seconds

• WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    i wouldn't mind it so much if skulk speed weren't so abysmally slow on the ground.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    As much as I preferred the game (mostly playing marines) when aliens had a win rate of closer to 65%, I don't want to see marine air control or acceleration changed in any way.
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    As much as I preferred the game (mostly playing marines) when aliens had a win rate of closer to 65%, I don't want to see marine air control or acceleration changed in any way.

Pretty much look at what happened to the skulk for the sake of balance since launch. I am neither on aliens or marines side. I always keep saying that flat out nerfing alien classes or marines can sometimes make the game less enjoyable when it comes to movement.

So basically because the skulk got hit in terms of movement, now the solution is to hit the marines in terms of movement? So if marines also complain is the solution to nerf skulk movement some more? I always wanted balance to go the way of the economy as seen in:

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/127784/its-time-we-start-talking-about-the-real-culprit-behind-the-horrendeous-balance/p1

However it seems the route of just nerfing classes has been taken with some nerfs for marines in queue.

I too preferred previous game play. It's pretty obvious people enjoy marines more because I always see several people waiting for a spot. At least in previous patches people still went aliens because it was less frustrating and marines stackers got their fun as well even though the fight was tougher. Now everyone just goes on marine because aliens (skulks in particular) are just punching bags in higher player servers.
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    It is certainly possible to do well as a skulk still, but has become much harder. What you have to do to be good as a skulk far exceeds playing as a marine. There are many terrible skulks as a result in pub play. A lot of times, there are just not enough good skulks to give the marines a decent fight.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter

Pretty much look at what happened to the skulk for the sake of balance since launch. I am neither on aliens or marines side. I always keep saying that flat out nerfing alien classes or marines can sometimes make the game less enjoyable when it comes to movement.

So basically because the skulk got hit in terms of movement, now the solution is to hit the marines in terms of movement? So if marines also complain is the solution to nerf skulk movement some more? I always wanted balance to go the way of the economy as seen in:

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/127784/its-time-we-start-talking-about-the-real-culprit-behind-the-horrendeous-balance/p1

However it seems the route of just nerfing classes has been taken with some nerfs for marines in queue.

I too preferred previous game play. It's pretty obvious people enjoy marines more because I always see several people waiting for a spot. At least in previous patches people still went aliens because it was less frustrating and marines stackers got their fun as well even though the fight was tougher. Now everyone just goes on marine because aliens (skulks in particular) are just punching bags in higher player servers.

I enjoyed marines because it was always a challenge to win, it actually took great team work most of the time, now it's too easy tbh, a 50% win ratio is NOT what I want for this game. I want aliens to have an easier time and marines have to fight for the chance to win.
  • GrizeenGrizeen Join Date: 2013-03-17 Member: 184036Members
    I think balance should be even at every point. not end-game. end-game is the result of the rest of the game.
  • jvedrickjvedrick Join Date: 2013-03-11 Member: 183891Members
    I honestly hate the skulk movement changes because it just feels cheap like they just got hit with 15% reduced movement speed.

Good marines can pub stomp like no tomorrow now and good skulks can sometimes keep their team in the game.

What's the solution? I have no idea.

Wonder if the people who started playing right after the skulk nerf just view it as a fact of life and play with babblers?

• john_wesleyjohn_wesley Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183445Members
    edited March 2013
    If a marine and a skulk see each other from across a hall at the same time, who is going to win the engagement?

It depends. If the skulk decides to charge the marine, I'd say the marine will probably win. But the thing is, the skulk doesn't have to charge the marine. As an alien you HAVE to learn to pick and choose your fights. Most of the time marines are not the ones initiating fights. It's the aliens who decide when to fight and when to run. Marines just stand their ground. If you are a marine and get into trouble, you're pretty locked in the fight until the alien dies or runs away. As an alien, you can run away mid fight if you feel too many guns being pointed at you and have much more success than a marine at running away.

Not only that, but lerks are insanely good against rifle marines. It's nearly impossible for a solo rifle marine to kill a good lerk who spikes/ambushes. I think while it is useful to consider balance only on base unit (no upgrade marine vs no upgrade skulk) this isn't really feasible as the game progresses. What do you compare the lerk to? shotguns? what about fades? armor and shotguns?
    Grizeen wrote: »
    I think balance should be even at every point. not end-game. end-game is the result of the rest of the game.

This is pretty much impossible in any rts-"balance" ebs and flows in any game- for instance if marines have a lot of early resources and get early upgrades , they can get a major advantage if their upgrade drops before the aliens have access to their fades and will have a window of opportunity where they can go on the offensive throughout the map. Then if the aliens survive, and the fades come out, the arms race can turn around.
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Hopping marines (let's not say bunnyhopping since it means something else in the NS universe) goes back all the way to the beginning of NS.

Frankly, I don't have a problem with it in NS2. One of the things that made hopping marines a problem in NS1 was that a bite was either a hit or a miss. So you can imagine how crucial a missed bite could be. With bite cones in NS2 it really negates that issue for the most part. Skill can overcome a hopping marine.

While I think it looks silly, I think marine 'hopping' is fine.
  • Angry ChildAngry Child Join Date: 2012-12-05 Member: 174256Members
    Oh look, a bloodthirsy alien creature, let me sit here on the ground and not jump to avoid this nightmare as it bites and tears at my flesh, IMMERSION!!!
  • ChitownFreezeChitownFreeze Join Date: 2008-03-29 Member: 63994Members, Constellation
    Making changes to either of the two most common lifeforms (marine + LMG, skulk + bite) could dramatically impact balance. At the very least, any "buff" to aliens can only negatively impact marines, and they're still not at the magical 50% win rate yet. So making such a change would likely induce an additional marine buff to compensate, since I doubt UWE would intentionally introduce a change that would for sure negatively affect the overall balance that they're currently seeing (48/52).

So now put yourself in their shoes... what else would you change to compensate such that reverting to the pre-Gorgeous skulk movement code doesn't also revert balance to pre-240? Because that's a nightmare. I suspect the answer to this question is not the least bit trivial, and requires more thought than "gee, the skulk players don't enjoy being skulk as much, let's just give them what they want." I suspect many of the devs play the game regularly as both sides, and as such there must be some awareness. Whether they feel the same way, who knows.
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    hozz:

If the Marine isn't using some kind of script to 180>Sprint>Jump>180 then I'm completely fine with it

Being able to dodge is an important part of marine play
    It was even more important in the first game because I believe Focus would allow you a 1 hit kill early game
  • philoglphilogl Join Date: 2012-10-24 Member: 163529Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver
    The problem isn't marine air control or acceleration. Of course the marines should be able to dodge effectively, anything that displaces the player is going to make you a harder target to hit and you would be silly not to utilise that ability. The problem is the fact that strafe jumping as a marine physically displaces you far enough away from the skulk that the skulk cannot simply jump to keep up with you even if you have split second reactions. To be honest, this isn't nearly as annoying as marines being able to just walk on top of your head.
  • briatxbriatx Join Date: 2013-01-18 Member: 180352Members

I enjoyed marines because it was always a challenge to win, it actually took great team work most of the time, now it's too easy tbh, a 50% win ratio is NOT what I want for this game. I want aliens to have an easier time and marines have to fight for the chance to win.

Yeah... um, that sounds like a good idea for a mod.

I cut my teeth as Marine in 238 and 239, and yes there was a perverse pleasure in beating the odds, but that would be a major step backwards.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @hozz: Sorry, but you mix up "Skulks should have the advantage when reaching melee range." with "A marine should be dead when the Skulk is reaching melee range."

Dodging a Skulk like a bull with strafe jumps is part of the melee fight. It needs skill to perform it the right way and it is easily counter-able by a good skulk. It's not that you can't kill good marines as skulk. It is difficult. But that's how it should be when playing against skilled opponents.

Summary: In my opinion the skulk vs marine gameplay is perfectly fine right now.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    I wouldn't say perfectly fine, the marine collision and physics is a bit wonky sometimes. Let's say mainly fine.
  • FarknutFarknut Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184065Members
    edited March 2013
    Except the part where you are facing a good marine and you can't physically close the distance to bite them again when they execute a proper strafe jump. The jump gives them all small window in which they are free to gun you down while you are out of range of biting them, and there is nothing you can do about it.

At least before if you could move well as a skulk you would at least manage to stay in range to have the possibility of chaining three bites together. Let's not forget that with good aim a marine could still gun you down when you were right in their face faster than you can land those 3 bites.

Savant wrote: »
    With bite cones in NS2 it really negates that issue for the most part.

Bullshit. The issue is that each correctly executed strafe jump gives the marine a guaranteed window in which the skulk is physically out of range to land a bite, even with perfect skulk movement.

It blows my mind that anyone who has played skulk for any length of time can fail to acknowledge this issue.

• joederpjoederp Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165992Members
    I'm not sure if skulks movement is broken, or marines. In a way its unfair that the skulk movement was toned down such that a side jumping marine will actually travel further than a skulk jumping after him while the two circle around in eachother in a fight. In this situation, the skulk absolutely needs to be able to jump at least as far if not slightly further to keep up. Too many times I have had a marine almost dead only to turn for the final bite and think, where the heck did he go?! Oh right, hes now 10 feet away from me in a split second. Because he can jump 3 feet off the ground and travel 8-10 feet. I didn't realize that every marine was Michael friggin Jordan..
    As a side note, the bite detection is broken. During those high speed marine evades, many times I have his body almost perfectly centered in my screen and my bite only does 25 dmg.. I realize how this feature works so don't explain it to me - I know where the limits are to get 75, 50, or 25 dmg, and the bites should definitely be scoring a 75 hit. MAYBE some should get a 50, but no chance on the 25 .. I attribute it to laggy hitboxes but I'm not sure what the problem is. But it gives dancing marines yet another unfair advantage over base skulks.
    joederp wrote: »
    As a side note, the bite detection is broken. During those high speed marine evades, many times I have his body almost perfectly centered in my screen and my bite only does 25 dmg.. I realize how this feature works so don't explain it to me - I know where the limits are to get 75, 50, or 25 dmg, and the bites should definitely be scoring a 75 hit. MAYBE some should get a 50, but no chance on the 25 .. I attribute it to laggy hitboxes but I'm not sure what the problem is. But it gives dancing marines yet another unfair advantage over base skulks.

100% agree with this too. I've occasionally seen marines live up to 10 seconds jumping around wildly with myself and 4 other skulks on them trying to get bites in, and I know I've put what felt like it should have been 10 bites on them alone.

• dToxdTox Join Date: 2013-03-13 Member: 183939Members
    edited March 2013
    Pick your fights better. That's all it comes down to as a Skulk. If you get the jump on a marine and take no damage before entering bite range you should win. He can bunny hop once/twice at most. You should be running around/wall climbing/biting and avoiding his cone of fire and it should be an easy kill. If you charge along the floor at a marine and take X bullets before getting in bite range you should by all means LOSE in a 1on1 fight. LMG Marine's are not attackers they are defenders.

Skulks/Aliens require a lot of patience and reserve, pick your fights wisely, always avoid 1on1 fights unless you know you can win. That is the price you pay for maneuverability. Marines 1on1 can stand their ground slightly easier because they lack mobility. Aliens can gang 1 guy then be on the other side of the map shortly after, Marines can't.

Hopping is annoying but it's not why you keep dying as Skulk. You picked a bad fight and bunny hopping was the icing on the cake for the Marine. I understand your frustration as i get frustrated too but you have to remind yourself you probably picked a bad fight. This is coming from someone who has not played any of the previous builds, just my experience.
    edited March 2013
    dTox wrote: »
    Pick your fights better. That's all it comes down to as a Skulk. If you get the jump on a marine and take no damage before entering bite range you should win.

You won't win if they can jump and aim. The problem isn't at all related to getting the drop on them. You'll get the first bite, they will jump, turn and gun you down before you can close the gap they just created.
    dTox wrote: »
    always avoid 1on1 fights unless you know you can win.

That's ridiculous, 1v1 shouldn't ever be hopeless. You don't always have backup. Skulk is the melee character and should by all rights have the advantage at close range. Just FYI, in the previous build a marine could still kill you with good aim at close range before you could get 3 bites off. They just didn't have the advantage of an instant uncloseable gap creating jump, because with good movement skills you could keep up with them.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    joederp wrote: »

This is not really a bug. I would bet, you look up while biting the marine in those cases. Now, if nothing has changed, the bite cone is a pyramid with its peak in the center of the skulk-model. As you mentioned, you already know, around this (75damage) pyramid is another pyramid (50damage) with a bigger bottom and around this one is a pyramid (25damage) with an even bigger bottom.

Now imagine yourself as little skulk looking up to the crutch of the marine. (Your hit-cone is now oriented in the same way!) If you are now slightly to far away, the 75d-pyramid will not touch the marine model, but maybe the edges of one of the greater pyramids will. Those getting lower damage while looking exactly at the marine model.

tl;dr: Looking up will shorten your horizontal bite-range. If you want to look up to see the marine better, you need to get closer to register a hit with the 75d cone.
    edited March 2013
    Still even with that being the case I've seen marines live improbably long with 4+ skulks on them when jumping wildly. I know I was on target the majority of the time, surely the other guys were also landing at least some bites. Seems like there is all sorts of weirdness going on that isn't helping when combined with new concrete skulk acceleration.
  • Samus1111111Samus1111111 Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154930Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I do feel that skulk vs. marine (at least early game) is good atm. With that said, I don't like that marines can jump further than skulks can. Yes, marines should have some way to temporarily increase distance in a fight, but it should be something skill based. This isn't skill based. Heck, I can do it and I am a terrible marine.

What this game needs more of is skill based movement and generally higher skill ceilings, not movements that guarantee an advantage and require no skill.
This discussion has been closed.