New Hive Ability- ???

deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
edited March 2013 in Ideas and Suggestions
i think the aliens should receive a hive specific ability that can be triggered at the hive, at a cost of 15 res the commander may use the ability by selecting his hive, all dead players will then spawn instantly from any eggs available around the selected hive.

essentially this allows the commander to quickly spawn players at the cost of res and i'm sure its easy to see the situations this could be useful.

Comments

• DazkoDazko Join Date: 2013-03-05 Member: 183699Members
    So some sort of a Kharaa equivilant to a beacon?
    I guess that can be a great way to get the upper hand against a marine raid just before they egglock you but seems like it can more often than not be a waste of res, especially late game since higher lifeforms have a very high survivability.
  • sHawke_NativesHawke_Native Join Date: 2012-12-20 Member: 175650Members
    they should also have the same lifeforms they are already morph'd into as in if your a fade and you get "recalled" to the hive you are still a fade, you hatch instantly to prevent getting killed as a helpless egg
  • Tgrdude13Tgrdude13 Join Date: 2012-11-17 Member: 172138Members
    And to prevent complains, have Onos not teleport with the beacon, since Exo's dont teleport with their Beacons
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I think the OP was talking about an emergency spawning of all dead players. Not of all players. Sorta like if you knew the marines were coming straight at a base and half your team just died, you could immediately respawn them at the hive about to come under attack, rather than wait for the spawn time to go through and have half your team spawn at another hive.

Just know that second from the top on the hierarchy of spawning is a hive under attack. Second only to eggs spawned in with a shift. So I don't really think it is necessary.

All the same, I could see this being useful, it would have to be balanced with the cost for sure.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    +1 I like this idea, would be a great mechanic to make mid-game egglocking a little harder
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    I'd rather see a passive egg focused ability for each type of hive

Something like:

Shift: Spawns eggs faster

Crag: Eggs get umbra when attacked

Shade: Eggs are invisible by default/Halucination eggs spawn 1:1 with real eggs and last until destroyed
  • MaLuSMaLuS Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182769Members
    to the OP +1 for this idea, i can think of a few times that i would have loved to have this situational tool.
  • YoungTrotskyYoungTrotsky Join Date: 2007-03-09 Member: 60307Members
    It's a nice idea - no one likes getting egglocked, but it could also be really unfair if marines have made a great timing rush, sent 4 guys in with shotguns and welders, caught the aliens unaware and locked down their hive, and then for 15 res the alien comm spawns in 6 skulks and all those marines lose their 25 pres worth of equipment and the marines have a huge respawn queue while the aliens, who were deservedly in trouble, now have a huge timing window to go and destroy marine extractors. Harsh!

Fundamentally a good idea but not sure if it could really be balanced, aliens have to avoid getting stuck in this situation, which can be very difficult on large servers, especially with close spawns on tram or summit, but I think there are better ways of addressing that, like removing close spawns.
  • ShrimmShrimm Join Date: 2012-10-05 Member: 161652Members
    i think the aliens should receive a hive specific ability that can be triggered at the hive, at a cost of 15 res the commander may use the ability by selecting his hive, all dead players will then spawn instantly from any eggs available around the selected hive.

essentially this allows the commander to quickly spawn players at the cost of res and i'm sure its easy to see the situations this could be useful.

Neat idea but leaves room for abuse. Suddenly competent alien teams have complete control of the battlefield, all they have to do is suicide (type kill in console, which you can bind to a key). aliens shouldn't have a beacon, it would make them far too strong. The reason beacon isn't OP for marines is because marines are slow moving compared to aliens.

However an ability similar to yours might not be bad. instead of instantly spawning dead aliens it could spawn like 15-20 eggs with a 5-10 minute cooldown on reuse to prevent shifts becoming obsolete. This would stop the egg lock and give you a chance, but it wouldn't suddenly spawn 6+ skulks at the same time. Give aliens a chance but not a guaranteed successful defense