Is UWE ever planning on fixing the dead zones in the commander interface?

ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited March 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
They've been a problem for quite some time. There are large areas of the commander's screen where you just can not click, and there is space near the minimap where if you're trying to med, instead of dropping meds it'll just move your view to dead parts of the map (click near the top of the minimap on summit and it will move you into the empty space above atrium for example).

Someone posted a video about this awhile back, but the thread title was satirical and I can no longer remember exactly what it said, so I can't find it. I will make a video about this and post it if necessary. I've been commanding a lot more lately and this stuff is absolutely driving me insane.

*edit*

found the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XMJKJ_jB-eg

Comments

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Never experienced this.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/127801/bug-invisible-parts-of-commanders-ui-prevents-placement-of-structures

Link to a thread I just found with pictures that kind of explain it, and a post from IronHorse where he says it's low priority because of statistical data about the # of players playing at low resolution. -_-

• AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    You answered your own question. If it's on the list, it'll be fixed - in due time.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Play at a native resolution instead?
  • nsguynsguy Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69869Members
    I have experienced ALL of these. It is the main source of my frustration with this game...honestly.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Angelusz wrote: »
    You answered your own question. If it's on the list, it'll be fixed - in due time.

It's been on the list since release day, and still hasn't been fixed. As of last month it's still low priority.

Hey UWE, here's a thought: in your FPS/RTS hybrid, maybe you should make a functional interface for the RTS part of the game?

@ghost3, I've already upgraded my computer once to play this game. I shouldn't have to do it again when I exceed the system requirements. The game runs very poorly at 1920x1080 with everything on low. Shit, the game runs fairly poorly (unable to maintain 60fps) at 1280x720 with everything on low xD

• Madd0gMadd0g Join Date: 2012-12-24 Member: 176116Members
    It's a minor bug,but it's anoying as hell :D
    I hope they know about it,if they do it should be fixed on next patch.
    edited March 2013
    It's absolutely not a minor bug, it's a huge bug. Large areas of the screen are unable to be medded. That is a pretty fucking big deal. They've also admittedly known about this for going on 6 months now.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    There's a lot of UI issues with NS2 that I'd like to see fixed. I think it's in the works but it will be a while.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Trust me, this is one of several seriously annoying comm interface bugs that are known. Unfortunately, much of the comm stuff is lower priority since it affects fewer players than the FPS bugs. Will bring it up again to see if some of these can be fixed soon.
    But isn't it affecting everyone who plays marines, every time they do it?
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    The whole RTS/ui aspect feels pretty tacked on imo.
    edited March 2013
    This thread not getting bumped when there are new replies for anyone else? It's still telling me that the last post was made at like 12:51pm my time... and most of the posts were made after that.
    Yes it's a site bug, some threads don't update their latest post time.
  • ChrisAUSChrisAUS Join Date: 2012-11-17 Member: 172108Members
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Never experienced this.

Sure, I saw you trying to place a Crag about 10 times in that recent NSL match we had, in my head I was going "If you just scroll up a little it will work perfectly" :P
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    It seems there is a rectangle centred on the screen, about 60% of the width and height of the screen, in which actions are detected. For me, everything outside of this area does nothing.

I play on a resolution substantially below native, if that means anything.
    ChrisAUS wrote: »
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Never experienced this.

Sure, I saw you trying to place a Crag about 10 times in that recent NSL match we had, in my head I was going "If you just scroll up a little it will work perfectly" :P

That was a "cannot place on entity" error, which is bs because half the time there's nothing there.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    |strofix| wrote: »
    It seems there is a rectangle centred on the screen, about 60% of the width and height of the screen, in which actions are detected. For me, everything outside of this area does nothing.

The comm GUI has never scaled particularly well, such that playing at lower than native resolution typically results in more bugs. I find that low fps has less of an impact in the comm view, so I suggest switching your resolution back to native (or close to it) when you comm even if that causes low fps.
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    |strofix| wrote: »

The comm GUI has never scaled particularly well, such that playing at lower than native resolution typically results in more bugs. I find that low fps has less of an impact in the comm view, so I suggest switching your resolution back to native (or close to it) when you comm even if that causes low fps.

Meeeeeeh I understand, but I find the commanders role to be to active for that to be an option. I prefer playing with minor annoyances than hitting 5 FPS at the crucial time when a skulk is on the IP.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    As of last month it's still low priority.
    Please don't spread misinformation.
    It is high priority, fyi, and has been.
    But other high priority bugs have still taken precedence.
    I did bring this to the attention of the devs already, and so have others. Still... other bugs have thus far taken precedence.

As already stated, It is known and will be worked on. Who knows, maybe it's a more difficult fix than you or I can fathom- would make sense considering many things in ns2 don't scale well.

Please keep bugs in tech support.
    No need to "bump" a bug in general discussion, you can always pm me any question you have.
    Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.