Is the new 32 player server crashing anyone else's game?

MeldityMeldity Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183593Members
edited March 2013 in Server Discussion
Seems like just me ]:

edit: I'm talking about my game crashing, sorry for the misleading title [:

Comments

• despairdespair Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165746Members
    it crashed last night right after a skulk xenocide'd 7 marines

it's fine now
    if its your own client thats crashing (when playing on this server and not other servers) then its probably because your computer cant handle it im afraid
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Since 32p servers require a hack of the server.exe, I'm not surprised it has stability issues. Stick to 24p or smaller servers and you should be fine.
  • MeldityMeldity Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183593Members
    despair wrote: »
    if its your own client thats crashing (when playing on this server and not other servers) then its probably because your computer cant handle it im afraid

my pc is quite fine for this game, even if it is 32 people. also i'm playing other servers now, seems fine now.. hmmm..
    yeah its def the 32 man server, i keep crashing but every other server is fine (:
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Is it crashing when your in combat with 20 people? Could be why. The easiest solution is to avoid the 32 player server. Kinda like "My finger hurts when I poke something," well stop poking.

I am surprised the 32 player server is stable. I remember when someone tried it either just before launch or just after. That server was not stable at all and crashed after 15 minutes or so on a 4.5ghz sandy if I remember correctly. Performance has gotten significantly better since then though.

Personally I don't see how a full 20+ player server is fun, let alone a 32.
  • endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
    I've not seen any stability issues on higher than normal player count servers. Could be a recent addition to one of the builds.

And like scardy said, it does require modifying the server.exe, but its such a small modificaiton. Any instability is going to be more likely other code that was not meant to handle those kind of numbers.
    james888 wrote: »
    Is it crashing when your in combat with 20 people?

this is what i don't understand though, i can play servers with 24 people all the time. but when it comes to 32 there is no fps drop or lag yet the game crashes. so yes its probably something wrong with the server.
  • 0ni0ni Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156991Members
    james888 wrote: »
    Is it crashing when your in combat with 20 people? Could be why. The easiest solution is to avoid the 32 player server. Kinda like "My finger hurts when I poke something," well stop poking.

I am surprised the 32 player server is stable. I remember when someone tried it either just before launch or just after. That server was not stable at all and crashed after 15 minutes or so on a 4.5ghz sandy if I remember correctly. Performance has gotten significantly better since then though.

Personally I don't see how a full 20+ player server is fun, let alone a 32.

I played on it a few times yesterday and it seemed plenty stable, AMAZING ping. The real issue is the fun like you said. At 32 players balance is out the window. I found myself running around as a marine trying to weld aliens to death just to make things easier on them. It definitely needs a custom balance mod of some kind.

The chaos is great though, it's like a combat map with commanders.
    After some time i've changed the game settings. I can play without crashing but what I've done so far was go from windowed to fullscreen, minimal infestation, texture med, particle low, AA off, bloom off, atmospherics on, antiF off, ambient med, reflections off, shadows on, stream off, multicore off.

i'll try to up the settings each time to see whats causing the crash (: but something tells me it has something to do with the windowed mode.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Multi core should be on
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    edited March 2013
    I wish they would balance around larger player counts more. Think for a min of what servers survived the longest in NS1, it was the 30 slot ones. You notice that if too many people quit after a game b/c their team lost a server may have too few players (according to those who remain) thus causing the server to enter a death spiral. From careful monitoring this number appears to be <12 players. For some reason when the player count starts to dip below 12 you can run the risk of having your server empty out. This game, due to its nature, has a hard time starting up a server b/c you can not 1v1 for example. As a result it is logical for server operators to seek larger player counts in order to ensure that when players leave there is still enough to avoid a death spiral. This is why you see 24 player servers filled all the time as over 50% of the server would need to disconnect in order for the player count to drop below 12 and run the risk of a death spiral. Therefore running at such a player count, if possible, is a logical decision to help mitigate the risk of having your server possibly empty out and to maximize the amount of time the server is fully populated.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    endar wrote: »
    I've not seen any stability issues on higher than normal player count servers. Could be a recent addition to one of the builds.

And like scardy said, it does require modifying the server.exe, but its such a small modificaiton. Any instability is going to be more likely other code that was not meant to handle those kind of numbers.
    Fair point. Most likely the 32 player server has identified a problem with your system. Are you overclocking?
    holy shit wtf is wrong with this server, i swear it was fine a few days ago but now i can't even play it more than 2 minutes.
  • endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
    Just thought of what could be the issue. I don't know who runs this server, or how they do it. But in the past, it was possible for a modified build 220 server.exe to run on build 221. Its possible that the server is still using an old server.exe and not a freshly modified one?

(not actually build 220, forgot when it happened).
    the server doesn't like his comp for whatever reason, simply put

everyone else is able to play on it fine