Thoughts on Descent

Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
So Descent has been out for a while now, long enough for people to get some real impressions on it. I was wondering what people thought about it and how it holds up compared to the other maps. My map list based on preference is currently Veil (best), Tram, Docking, Summit, Mineshaft, Refinery (worst). So far I'm liking Descent a lot, I think it might eventually end up around 3 or 4 on my list once I've had a few more games there and really gotten a feel for it. It's huge, but I feel like it's done so much better than Refinery. Refinery is all massive open spaces and as an alien I feel like I'm always at a disadvantage because I'm trying to close the gap. Descent manages to be a really large map but doesn't put the aliens at too much of a disadvantage. And of course it's brilliant aesthetically - each room is really memorable and I've found that such distinctions have helped me get a hang of the map more quickly than I would have anticipated.

Comments

• killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I got a question for the Devs, is Descents a community map? Did the creators come from the community? I know its official but in the north part of the map I get an overwhelming sense of familiarity
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    Refinery, Summit, Veil, Tram, Descent, Mineshaft, Docking

Descent is a very pretty map, but cramped, and cluttered.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I got a question for the Devs, is Descents a community map? Did the creators come from the community? I know its official but in the north part of the map I get an overwhelming sense of familiarity
    Its actually similar to summit that it started off as one from a community member (Jonacrab). However, quite a bit of it has been changed from those initial versions (namely, the theme went from an underground mining/refining operation to a space station). You'll see some similarities (and may have even played on the early version), but I view it as almost an entirely different map at this point.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I love descent, every fight is always an interesting one.

Railgun Exos fit in pretty well on this map, as well.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Yes, as ScardyBob mentioned, the mapper, Jake (Jonacrab) started out as a community mapper. We were impressed with his work, and hired him as an employee of UWE, and changed the map theme to be a little more unique from the rest of the official maps and to finally get NS2 into space. There's not a single area left from the orginal that hasn't been either completely overhauled or at least reworked quite heavily.

• briatxbriatx Join Date: 2013-01-18 Member: 180352Members
    I like this map. I'd be cool if there was a Res nozzle in the Club so it's not just a passthrough.

Also I think it tends towards Marines. Skulks seem to get hung up sometimes on the stairs/escalators.
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    briatx wrote: »
    I'd be cool if there was a Res nozzle in the Club so it's not just a passthrough.

Passing through Club is it's own reward.
  • KalibosKalibos Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183589Members
    too

big

otherwise I love it.
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    Descent is kind of at odds with itself...... It is a huge map.... yet at the same time, most areas are small or really cluttered or has small corridors. While it is a large map, the tech points are smaller than those of the others maps, connected with small corridors/hallways.

I don't particularily care for the map as a result... however... I will give it this, it is a great looking map visually.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    It's a beautiful map. And I like playing it so far.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    briatx wrote: »
    I like this map. I'd be cool if there was a Res nozzle in the Club so it's not just a passthrough.

Also I think it tends towards Marines. Skulks seem to get hung up sometimes on the stairs/escalators.

Yeah It would be nice to have to play in club a bit more :P

Also I have experienced the exact oppisite to you, where aliens win more than marines.
  • NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    Descent really shows how beautiful NS2 can look. I agree that it feels a bit cramped. Shadowstep jumping is a bit difficult, but that's probably because I've yet to get used to the map layout. Good luck if you get ambushed right around a corner. The multitude of objects to hide behind make for a skulk haven. I really like how you have to close in before harassing hives instead of having a long LOS (barring arcs ofc).
  • LagLightLagLight Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149708Members
    Squishpoke wrote: »
    I love descent, every fight is always an interesting one.

Railgun Exos fit in pretty well on this map, as well.

If you fire a Railgun on this map, everyone should die and the game result go to a draw because of explosive decompression.

• hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    I like the map, still learning it but clipping issues seem a little more prevalent (it is newer).
    Spawn locations seem to influence things heavily but thats the same for most maps.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    It feels very jumbled up, much like a space station would be in all likelyhood. I can't help but get lost in the corridors and antechambers. I still don't know it like the back of my hand, but that'll come with time.

Certain spawns seem better than others based on my limited game-time, drone bay start for aliens doesn't seem to work out very well. Hydro seems pretty important, bit like Crossroads on Summit.

I like how it has much more emphasis on the vertical. Lots of rooms have 2 or more levels to play in. Vents go up and down as much as they go horizontally.

Overall, it seems pretty good, but I'm still not used to it.
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    I've already let the mapper know my thoughts on how I liked the way he added all kinds of doors and airlocks etc to give the map the feeling of being something bigger. This is something that is missing in other maps. However, there was one thing I have noticed since then that kinda stands out more as I play it. The map is clean - too clean. I would think in a station that's been overrun there would be more 'disorder'. Still a great map though.
  • foolfoolzfoolfoolz Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181835Members
    The only thing i can think of is how ridiculously big it is. This is not the worst map in the rotation, but it could easily be one of the better ones if it lost a room or two. I dont even play on small servers, usually a 16 player one. This one aspect more than any other detracts from the map. it is very vertical, which i think tends to favor ranged weapons, but there are enough vents to get around them. the vents however are poorly labeled on the map (monorail especially), and are way too long. this highlights just how big the place is.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    my favorite map was summit till i played descent! in the beginning it was HUUUUGE, i mean like gigantic i could not even remember some areas but during the gorgeous release one server had the map 24/7 so i played it propably 45 hours just in 3 days and the map is awsome. The game can really go either way on this map no matter if its 10 50 or 150 minutes in the game. i love every single bit of this map. it is by far the visually best looking and has the most iconic or memorable locations within the level. Each area is far away from each other and you have to react instantly to attacks. Even though the map is huge i agree with something i wrote which is that every area look so unique and different that it is still rememberable enough and epic to play in. The only con for this map would be the repetative trim texture on that silo cylinder, could build more depth or rectangular panels that bevel inside 4 units or something along the walls of the cylinder chape to give it some variation and purpose. maby some control panels surroinding it or even more pillars around it. Just get rid of that same pattern texture on it, 2 or 3 times vertically is enough, not like 291359 :P
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I love descent. I love the vertical variations in the map. It's very distinctive because you always get a sense of descending into a scary place, or climbing up and checking your six every 5 seconds. gameplay-wise it's not the greatest, but of all the maps i think that it has (due to the newness) a pretty good amount of variation in games.
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    It's awesome. I like that it's big and it plays interesting.
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I personally hate it, really hate it.
  • GrizeenGrizeen Join Date: 2013-03-17 Member: 184036Members
    middle hive has too much importance... aliens can have 2 hives and full upgrades.... but if they dont have hydro then they will still lose... not a good map for long games - usually a slow death IMO
  • FuleFule Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67683Members
    I liked it first, but then it's really big and I have even worse performance on that map.... so I quit every time a server changes map to descent.
  • radionautradionaut california Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181192Members, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Gold
    Descent is a great big masterpiece. it would be nice though, if the next official map could be a whole lot smaller.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I love it.
    * It is beautiful on all aspects. Inside the map, outside...
    * Having closed doors is a indication that there is 'more'. Makes it more fun & shows that even the bacteria can not yet get everywhere & thus needs some fighting. hehe
    * Big.. yes this is a plus side. Seen old ns1 maps? They were big. This one is big.
    - As a sidenote, I rarely see marines win on this map. I expect due to the travel time. Can anyone confirm/deny this in there experience?
    * Different map, different tactics. Also a plus.
    * Many decorations, making it feel more alive. It really shows like a tourist station got overrun.
  • JAMESEARLJONOSJAMESEARLJONOS Join Date: 2012-12-15 Member: 175155Members
    Descent looks cool and plays awful. Just way too much clutter on the map from a gameplay perspective, and all of the non-hydro tech points are nightmares in marine turtle situations (in pubs).
  • ShakerShaker Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9582Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I would agree Drone Bay can be a mean turtle - but otherwise all easy to crack, in my experience.
  • FarknutFarknut Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184065Members
    Fully agree with what JAMESEARLJONOS said. It's a nice map visually, but a gameplay nightmare.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Love the map aside from Fabrication, security, and plaza. The issues have already been addressed and I hope to see them fixed in the future. Extremely beautiful map overall. Jona did a great job.
  • WillzZzWillzZz Join Date: 2013-01-31 Member: 182667Members
    I like it, for the most part. Plaza is too far away from launch. Too easy to snipe mono rt and launch rt. Walking distances don't seem equivalent. Some starts seem easier to defend naturals than others. Minimap is a little confusing (Aren't they all at first? Minimaps need an overhaul imo) in one spot at the nw of hydro. It looks like a little hole you can get through, when you cannot.