Who was the 'genius' behind Concede?!

1235»

Comments

• TinkerTinker Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14395Members
    edited March 2013
    Kalabalana wrote: »
    Seeing a lot of tangents avoiding obvious truths.

Me too. You're avoiding the truth of it being a vote. If most of the losers don't even want to be playing that round they should be forced to so that the winners can pad some KDR stats? (self-entitlement anyone? Indulgent)
  • WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
    ... also dislike it when the commander recycles the base.

Selling is ONE guy deciding for BOTH teams to end the game.
    It's a big no no in my books.
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    @Wake:
    Did you note how the Comm habitually makes ALL the decisions how to spend all those precious moneys?
    That's his job. He can do that. That's why he is Comm and you are Cannon Fodder.

If you don't like his decisions, eject him and do a better job.
    Until then it's up to him to decide if it's worth his time and nerves to continue the agony.

BTW, when 1 player concedes in chess, he also ends the game for both players.
    When a professional StarCraft player says "gg", he also ends the game for both players.
    But when NS2 players have had enough, that's a big no no in someone's book...

The big ENSL teams are playing NS2 wrong, then. Because they do it as well. They don't vote concede, they just type "gg" and they decide for BOTH teams to end the game.
    xen32 wrote: »
    Imagine this:
    1. Docking, marines have Terminal, Cafe and Locker, all upgrades, CCs everywhere. Aliens have crag/shade. Aliens rush locker, power down. Marines concede.
    2. Veil, marines have Control, Pipe and Cargo. Cargo is lost. Aliens have shift hive and just dropped cargo. Marines see onos in pipe (no cara yet obviously). They just _see_ it. Three people vote concede.

Wtf is that guys? Wtf?

A French server!

Seriously, though. I have a French friend and so we played no a French server recently. They surrendered with 3 hives active. I wish I was joking.
    On the other hand, it did wonders for my starving set of stereotypes.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Kalabalana wrote: »
    The mechanic inherently caters to bad, ego-centric players who believe there is no fun unless they can win the game, boo-hoo. As someone who does not play out winning games thanks to these sort of people, I have no sympathy for the often abused mechanic,and believe it needs a rework.
    I'm not sure why you think NS2 should be a character building exercise rather than a form of entertainment. I and countless others play games to have fun, such that when it stops being fun, its entirely reasonable to stop playing.

Ideally, NS2 would work such that it is fun whether you are winning or losing. The reality is that losing in NS2 typically isn't very fun. You frequently die, spend tons of time navel gazing in the spawn queue, engage in hopelessly lopsided fight (e.g. skulk vs exo or rifle marine vs onos), and largely can't make much progress in the form of additional tech, better weapons/lifeforms, or map control. Having played in a fair share of losing matches pre-concede, I really don't have the patience to play out a losing match to satisfy the desire of the winners to kill every last player/hive/command station.
  • Ra1nRa1n Join Date: 2004-02-22 Member: 26798Members
    edited March 2013
    morale is a factor in this game, it doesn't matter if your general wants to fight a battle if his army is running away and you don't ask your enemy if they are fine with it either.
  • eliotmateliotmat Join Date: 2002-12-01 Member: 10350Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    bongofish wrote: »
    Conceding should give the other team a minute or so to hunt you down and slaughter you. I know there is a "surrender" mod that works this way. I like it since it gives the winning team the joy of finishing off their opponents.

This is a great idea!! This gives the winning team a fun reward. Concede, in its current form, takes away the fun of victory for the winners. I am pro-concede as a function of the game, but I hate that it steals the glory from the winning team.

Just to expand off your idea a little bit:

If Alien concede occurs:

1. Gameplay continues for 60 seconds.
    2. Alien commander is ejected.
    3. Aliens are prohibited from entering a hive.
    4. All aliens and alien structures become visible on marines' maps & minimaps.
    5. All marine weapons with reserve magazines/clips get unlimited reserve ammunition for 60 seconds.

If Marine concede occurs:

1. Gameplay continues for 60 seconds.
    2. Marine commander is ejected.
    3. Marines are prohibited from entering command station.
    4. All marines and structures become visible on aliens' maps.
    5. All aliens receive unlimited adrenaline for 60 seconds.

• CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    I (and others) had previously suggested a 60-second gameplay extension with respawning disabled for the conceding team, but I think @eliotmat's ideas are good additions to the concept.
    edited March 2013
    @Ra1n:
    It's a psychological victory.
    Sure, the official condition is for your team to "physically" destroy the enemy's hive or CC, but if you can somehow convince them that there is no use fighting, why should that be an unacceptable form of victory achievement?

Leaving such an impression on the other team that they give up by themselves... why not? The psychologically devastated players will say so on the voice chat, thus lowering morale for the whole group or stop being productive and just go AFK or just stand around in base, waiting for the end and turning their prediction into a self-fulfulling prophecy. The human factor. Morale. That's what makes NS2 stand out from Supreme Commander or StarCraft.

Someone who is good at ordering around (AI) Space Marines or (AI) SCVs or (AI) Siege Tanks in StarCraft can be a total dud in NS2, when it comes to ordering (HUMAN) Marines or (HUMAN) Exos effectively, i.e. the humans have (or lose) fighting morale. Did you notice how they respond much better when you use their names or call them out when they wander off?

Concede means psychological victory.
    If you didn't have it, players would simply press F4 or leave the server altogether (if really aggravated).
    Pro players will just continue to type "gg" and that's basically the same thing as concede.